IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

College Football for Palm Nuts

bubba

Jason, You can't help pulling for Kestahn Moore. He is a great young man and I have a feeling they will find some way to get him on the Field.The issue at Running back seems to be how do they get all these weapons on the Field.From Mon Williams,who is recovering but looks very strong to Emanuel Moody,who looks great to Brandon James,who I don't understand why we don't use more often,to Chris Rainey,who is a Meteor,to new freshman,Jeff Demps,who runs a 10.2 100 meters,not to mention Percy Harvin,who is supposedly a wide reciever,to Deonte Thompson,who is the second coming of Percy,to Aaron Hernandez,who likes square to square contact at 6'2 255,not to mention Cam Newton,alleged quarterback,but at 6,6 250 seems to move the pile further than anybody,not to mention 15 other Wide Recievers,who all seem to run 4.2 forties, and I guess I forgot Tim Tebow and The Pouncy Boys.I have watched it a long time and I have never seen an assortment at this level.Some Major Hombres on Defense Too.Kind of looking forward to Will Thrill Hill and Oh My God,Omar Hunter.I think we should give Miami a run for their money.Oh My God, I forgot to mention Carlos Dunlap ,John Brown, Troy Epps.....

What you look for is what is looking

Bubba,

I try to not put too many expectations on freshmen.  Hopefully last years freshmen and sophmores (especially in the defensive backfield) will start to meet expectations.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Jason,You might say I have a tendency to go over the top.Thank you for your patience.You are also absolutely correct in your statement.

Carlos Dunlap should be solid this year, potentially the anchor for the defensive line.  I have high hopes for the defense and I expect all of those top recruits from the past two years to start to pay out.  It should be a different animal from last year.  On paper, we have a solid chance to make a run.  Unfortunately last year, my prediction of a 3 or 4 loss year came true.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Jason,My youngest son and I attended the Gator Walk before the Tennessee game.He shoke hands with Tebow and Harvin.I shook hands with Carlos Dunlap.Let me tell you that is one very large human being. His high school coach said he was 6'9 and we list him at 6'6.He looked somewhere in between.At that time,he weighed 290lbs and had not really started with the weights.Looking at pictures this Spring,he clearly is doing some lifting.I remember Coach Mattison saying that the kid had incredible,natural strength when he recruited him.He returned kicks his Senior year in high school.He will be fun to watch.

Jenks,Thankyou for the Link.I am going out on a limb to predict USC will not have to cancel football this upcoming year.Look's like a tremendous stock.

(jenks @ Mar. 27 2008,16:31)

Getting closer, guys.

Spring practice just started - here are some pics http://www.teamandras.com/usc/photos2008_0...pring/index.htm

What is the deal with the Mustain kid?  Does he have a chance of starting?  My impression was that he was overbilled.  I tried to give him the benifit of the doubt on the time he played for Ark because he was a freshman.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Well, he was undefeated (8-0) as a starter in the SEC  :D

He does have an outside chance of starting. Reports are he is looking verry good in practice and did a great job running the scout team last year. Pete hasn't named a starter yet and says they both look good and it is wide open. Sanchez has too much time in the system though - he knows it very well. I would be surprised if he doesn't get the nod. Hopefully he tears it up this year and leaves for the NFL and Mustain does the same thing next year. That would give Corp a year then Barkley will come in and start for 3 years.

Not likely but it would be nice to see all three of these guys get at least a year starting. Injuries can change things as well. When Barkley gets here - forget about it.

I will be taking my kids to a couple of spring practices. I will give you guys a report.

Laguna Niguel, CA

Mustain is an outstanding Quarterback but your 8-0 statistic  in the SEC is a little misleading inasmuch as he was replaced by Casey Dick after the first series in the Arkansas v South Carolina game after he threw an interception.He never returned thereafter and the team was really led by the "Wild Hog"offense of McFadden and Jones that was perfected after their humiliating loss to (yes)USC.Of course,Arkansas was beaten in the SEC Championship by Florida,who went on to humiliate Ohio State to win the National Championship even though the talking heads had already sold them Gators down the river.

All things equal,I take Tebow over Mustain.A great player you picked up was Damian Williams,who had at one time committed to Florida.He and Mustain have great chemistry as they played on the same high school team.

One guy showing up big time at running back for Florida is Chris Rainey.This is a surprise because great things are expected of Mr.Moody.Moody is doing OK but trying to get use to the"Quicks".

With Mustain,you may need to watch out for his Mother.She held a prayer vigil after her son was benched leading to a Mass Exodus of Arkansas players,some to USC.

Haha. I knew you would chime in on Mustain's record, bubba. Everything you said is true - without McFadden and Jones, the Hogs go nowhere that year.

In college, in a spread offense, I would take Tebow over anyone playing today. In a pro style offense - I don't know. The spread doesn't work in the NFL. Mustain probably has a better chance in the NFL - Tebow might be a LB.

Damian Williams is great and has developed a chemistry with all the QB's. He absolutely tore it up last year on the service team going against the number 1 defense. He will make an impact this year.

Chris Rainey is awesome. Dude has some wheels. I doubt Moody is having trouble getting used to the speed out there. He isn't the fastest RB but he went up against an SC defense in practice that is as fast as any in the country. He was not considered the best back in that class. That would have been Stafon Johnson. Stafon was in the dog house and barely saw the field. He has since figured it out and had a great year.

Not worried about Mrs. Mustain. I would bet my last dollar that CPC did not promise him or his mother the starting job. He won't do it. It's all about the competition here.

You might want to watch out for Moody's uncle, Mr. Chang, though. He is going to freak when Moody gets buried on your depth chart after Meyer told Chang he would start  :D  :D  :D

Laguna Niguel, CA

People overlook Tebow's throwing ability because of his out of the ordinary physical strength.Some runs are called but a vast majority occur on busted plays or when no receiver is open and he makes something out of nothing.No Peytie Pie fall downs when a whiff of air comes too close.This creates vast problems for defenses because they know they have to be ready for both the pass or the run at anytime and have to commit more resources to cover both possibilities.Accordingly,this opens it up for guys like Percy Harvin.(Quicks,Inc)In the pro's,I really can't see where Tebow's abilities hurt him.Pundits have to say something negative or the American public is not getting their Dollar's worth.

Moody was the guy who mentioned the necessity of working on his Quicks.He may be rusty I hope.Will watch for venerable Chang.That PTA Meeting crap style is for the birds.

I was wondering how the kid from Arizona(Everett Griffin) is doing. He seemed like a real beast and guys like that are hard to find.

Quarterback Tim Tebow of Florida accepted the James E. Sullivan Memorial Award as Nation's most outstanding amateur athlete.Also,Tebow was the first Sophmore in College Football History to win the Heisman,Davey O'Brien and Maxwell awards in the same year.

Bubba, Tebow has as good a better chance than anyone since Archie to win back to back Heisman's.

How is Harvin doing?

Everson Griffin is an absolute freak of an athlete.

I am going to personally keep you up to speed on West Coast Football.  :D

Here is a link to Pete's website. It is managed and designed by a former walkon - Ben Malcomson. Ben has a blog covering today's USC Pro day.

http://www.petecarroll.com/index.c....=400654

Also, here are some clips - check the video's of practice and the Rose Bowl with the mic'd up players and coaches. The Fat Man Football clip is pretty funny too. http://www.youtube.com/user/PeteCarrollTV

Laguna Niguel, CA

Jenks,Everson Griffin at 6'4 275lbs with4.4 speed in the forty?That is a wild Freak and you know your lucky!We have a couple of Freaks too.On Defense,it has to be Carlos Dunlap at 6'8 300lbs with a rather Freakish wingspan and 4.6 forty.He has been working some boys good rather regular.On offense Chris(Crimedog/Rainman)Rainey has created new adjectives to describe Whiff.

Mssr.Harvin has not really teed it up at practise.He has a heal issue that will be handled surgically and he will be back for Fall Practise without pain for the first time. Tebow has accepted his recent back-up status with grace.When do we get to play your spoiled children?

The boys from Baton Rouge will be back.  Not sure if the QB can keep his head screwed on straight, but as many learned last year, Miles is a man you can never turn your back on all the way to the fat lady's last note.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith, you know I'm with you on this one. I've had 4 season tickets in the North endzone my father has had before I was even born 29 years ago!

He's now at the age where he has passed these tickets (and the cost haha) on to me. I'm more than happy to accept and my wife and I never miss a home game. I just don't think we will ever experience a year of thrills like the last, but who knows! I'm just glad Miles stayed, now if we can just get this QB situation straight.

What is the deal on Perrileaux? He is an unbelievable athlete and I thought he was better than Matt Mauck last year.Does he not understand what he has at risk? If he plays with his head on his shoulders,you could be better next year.What is his story?

(bubba @ Apr. 03 2008,11:18)

What is the deal on Perrileaux? He is an unbelievable athlete and I thought he was better than Matt Mauck last year.Does he not understand what he has at risk? If he plays with his head on his shoulders,you could be better next year.What is his story?

Many times throughout history, it has been the unbelievable people who are average athletes that have blown us away, and the unbelievable athletes who are average people that have disappointed us the most.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

You nailed it.I hope the kid can get it together.I do not like to see waisted talent even if you might beat us with him.

Bubba,

I'm more scared of Tebow dropping our ass vs. Perriloux hurting you.

It will be VERY VERY hard to beat Tebow back to back years, esp down in the swamp...

Also, were you speaking of Flynn instead of Mauck?

I speak of both but on reflection it was Flynn the more recent.Both were similar in their quiet,get it done style.

Jenks,Finally watched those video's and Coach P is very good and funny! I don't want want to make Big 93 unhappy!

Did you see this one - Everson Griffin pulled out of a meeting by LAPD for "physically abusing a freshman". There is video evidence of the crime in this clip. Not good. I was hoping the guys would stay out of trouble this year.

Griffin Abuses Freshman -

Laguna Niguel, CA

Jenks,That is too bad about Griffen.He was going to be a complete stud.I can't believe how stupid these kids are to just throw their Pro careers down the drain.Perrilous is bad enough but Griffen taking advantage of Freshmen like that.It is the worst I have seen since that revenge/shoe/closet/ex-girlfriend stunt that Najea Davenport pulled down at Da U!

Surf Guy,The mammal that you describe is referred to colloquially in these parts as La Leghumper.

(bubba @ Apr. 04 2008,18:52)

Surf Guy,The mammal that you describe is referred to colloquially in these parts as La Leghumper.

Two things I've noticed of late:

1.  Michigan salvaged their entire season by beating a mediocre UF in a non-BCS bowl by 6.  The way they've been talking you'd think they'd beat us by 27 in the NC game.

2.  Georgia went from being an also ran to trying to stake a claim at last years NC game.  This hyper inflation of their ego started after beating Florida (A game that they'll claim was their signature win and in the same breath tell you how terrible UF was last year).  Over the past 20 years UF is up 15 games to 5 over the leghumpers but you wouldn't know it if you listened to the mutt nation after that game.  It's hard to explain to a rabid mutt that one game doesn't make a streak.

Also, last year's bowl against Hawaii was a joke.  Any of the BCS contenders would have loved to showcase their talent against an overrated Hawaii.  Only cudos I'll give the leghumpers is on thrashing the rainbows.  I just wish Jones was still the coach for their game at UF this year.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Florida has found a trooper in Matt Patchan a/ka "The Hun",who at 6'7 250lbds has been a very disruptive force as Defensive Tackle,although he was slated to be Offensive Tackle.His Dad and Uncle were standouts at Da U before Pro careers.Of course,Omar"the Night Train"Hunter may have a say in the matter when he arrives on Campus in May.

Speed is fast but getting faster.Jeff Demps of South Groveland,5'9 190lbs Running back recruit(averaged 11 yards a carry)won the Florida 100 meter High School Event with an electronically timed 10.17.This is the third fastest 100 meter time in the world this year.It had some guys training for Bejing in G-ville doing some stammering.

ESPN will televise the Florida Spring Game at 1:00PM EST with the Gameday crew this Saturday April 12,2008.It will definitely be form over substance but should give mostly second stringers time to shine.

Jason,I think Michigan was a better team than given credit.They were injured all year but had a boat load of very talented Seniors.They had all healed by the time they played us.We were a very young team last year but I would not say mediocre.We are moving the right direction and I do not see Mediocre in our future.

The Leghumpers...Let them get all puppified and full of that doglicious pride and then behold the tragedy in J-Town.

Mediocre meaning not top ten.  I went to every home game and I can tell you the defense showed their youth.  I think they did an admirabe job considering their youth but...  Michigan was an underachiving top ten team with a sprinkle of crappy luck.  The bowl game had "trap" written all over it (for UF).  I went to the game, UF looked asleep.

I was very dissapointed in the play of our two seniors at defensive back, Kyle Jackson and Tony Joiner.  Too many missed tackles and Kyle Jackson actually lost his starting position early in the year for poor play.

Anyway.... their is always next year.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Jason,Last year was a young team.I agree they looked like they were sleep walking in the Bowl and that was surprising.I think we have a different animal on our hands this year.Only time will tell.

The SC defense has looked really good in practice/scrimmage. Tall order to replace big Sed on the Dline but the young guys are stepping up. The LB'rs are monsters with speed - 2 deep. If they aren't the best group in the country (even without Rivers) there is none that is better. Remember the name Taylor Mays. 6'4" . 240 lb safety that runs a sub 4.4 40.

On offense Brod Green and Marc Tyler have looked really good at RB. Tyler looks like he is fully recoverred from his snapped leg. Joe McNight will be on the field all the time, similar to the way Bush was used as a Junior with Stafon Johnson gettting the majority of the rest of the carries. I think Green will emerge as the big back - the guy is HUGE and leaves a wake behind him.

Some pics of the scrimmage last week.

LB Cushing blowing up Anthony McCoy. McCoy will be the starting TE and will do fine in replacing Fred Davis.

080406_Scrimmage_039.jpg

The rest of the photos

http://www.teamandras.com/usc/photos2008_0...mmage/index.htm

Laguna Niguel, CA

Jenks, Obviously you guys have some serious studs and thank you for the pictures. My youngest son and I just got back from the Florida Spring Game.It was quite a show.I have watched Florida Football for a long time and I have never seen a more talented and responsive group.We have never had an accumulation of depth,talent and speed at this level.Never as well coached.

It was nothing more than a circus-like scrimmage but two guys you will hear about are Carlos Dunlap and Chris Rainey.Our defense appears much improved in all positions with new guys showing up in every position. Dunlap is an absolute freak,who simply could not be stopped.In one play,he caught Cam Newton by the back of the nape of his neck pads and picked him up and dropped him.It was "No Contact" and accidental but to see a  6'5 250 lbs quarterback suspended up in the air like a puppet until Sire Dunlap let go and he fell to the ground was a little surreal.

Chris "Rain-Dog"Rainey is another weapon on offense.He is not large but has extreme geared up speed and moves.Tebow had the Flu but has progressed remarkably. He is definitely reading all his receivers.Coverage was much better.These things,of course,can be completely deceptive,but I have not ever seen talent on our team at this level.Now do we compare to your children....

I saw some of the highlights of the game - I bet you guys had a blast. My favorite play was when Tebow leveled that LB or Safety after a pic. The guy is a monster. There is no one to compare him to  - Vince young was faster but you would never see him lower his shoulder and punish guys like Tebow.

I had heard of Rainey. I expected him to do great hings on the field. Maybe this is his year. Florida has long had recruiting advantages. Heck, Zook was (and still is) a fantastic recruiter - he just couldn't coach 'em up and turn talent in championships. Urban can - you guys will definitely be in the hunt this year and in the future.

The only guy in the country that might give Tebow a run for his money is Lendak. Unfortunately, he thinks he is smarter that CPC and has been in the dog house the last couple of years. Word is, he is tearing it up in practice but if he doesn't get playing time, he will transfer to Devry (we just barely won that recruiting battle)

lendak.png

Laguna Niguel, CA

Ok Bubba

I know Florida cheerleaders are known for their intellectual acumen, but watching them on ESPN on Saturday has me on the horns of a dilema.  I caught a few minutes of the spring game, and there are the cheerleaders goin' crazy on the sidelines.

Which side were they cheering for?

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Steve,I too have ridden the horns of that dilema and my friend,it is a slippery slope.The road cuts both ways,high and low.In our area,it is colloquially referred to as intellectual foreplay.

Jenks, Some fans thought we may have a shot at Lendak.They choppered him into Junior Day in an alumni's Bell Jet Ranger.Urban was heard to comment "that it was worth the risk".Word has it that when Lendak saw there was no Ocean anywhere close,he commanded the immediate return to the nearest International Airport and has never been seen since.He did take a trip to Miami in late November but never arrived on Campus but was spotted numerous times with Luther Campbell on South Beach.If you guys can keep him on the High Road,he is certain to take the place of the legendary untouchable/aka Saint.

Jason,Did you go to the Spring Game(Orange and Blue)?What was your assessment?Am I being too optimistic as usual?

My guess is that Mustain will transfer.Sanchez looks like the real deal.Another prayer vigil in the offing from Mustang Salley.Maybe Arky State?