Sign in to follow this  
BS Man about Palms

007 and Ken hit So Cal

BS Man about Palms

After talking with Jeff at length about this, it appears there are several types of "Dypsis tsarantananensis".  (oh really)  This is one type, I and Bud Zager have different types, Jeff has different ones also?

lastday077.jpg

• Upvote 1

BS Man about Palms

Thanks for the "Mike check" Bill.

Its a jungle in there!!

lastday078.jpg

lastday079.jpg

• Upvote 1

BS Man about Palms

Ralph has so much on his lot, it has spilled to his neighbors house(s)

I am looking across the neighbors yard from Ralphs.

lastday080.jpg

• Upvote 1

BS Man about Palms

When you see a Bizzy that you have to look up to see the top.....

lastday082.jpg

You may see this at the bottom.

lastday081.jpg

I think Bo said he sold this to Ralph as he left for Hawaii!  ???

BS Man about Palms

This is another palm that I saw at Ralphs a while back and soon went on the hunt for..

Copernicia Baileyana                          Ken saw mine on the way home and said I had a real nice one with just the upright growth he looks for!  (think what you may..., only Ken, Jeff and I know)

lastday083.jpg

OK- this is the "upright part"

lastday084.jpg

• Upvote 1

BS Man about Palms

4 days of palm overload was starting to kick in, I didn't know what to take pictures of, I just was on "autoshoot"

lastday085.jpg

• Upvote 1

BS Man about Palms

Here was a "Chatham Island" Rhopy like at Bobs, just not quite as fat. We were wondering if Kim were here would she touch it.

lastday003.jpg

• Upvote 1

BS Man about Palms

It was getting towards the end. Jeff was sizing up stuff to fit in his carry on ......

lastday087.jpg

Yes, thats Jeff holding onto the Cryosophila.

Yes, Ken is doing what you think he's doing.

• Upvote 1

BS Man about Palms

Soon after, Ken does his best to look very innocent and happy....

well, he got it half right.

lastday086.jpg

BS Man about Palms

Well, Heres the end.  I really enjoyed having these guys show up and be quite happy to slog around with me.  I'm thankful that I was able to get into some places because I was "with them".  I REALLY appreciate the other offers of garden tours that I and they received, but could not make it to.  As I said before, I drove 470 miles over the 4 days, enjoying every bit of it, and that doesn't count the riding time with Kim up to the Huntington!!

I think we gave a Florida guys an appreciation for some of the things we can grow out here.  Jeff said several times to me that he really has changed his opinion as to what we're growin' and doin out here. It's a MUCH larger selection than he thought.

I hope everyone enjoyed this, I tried to do less pics per post in case folks have slow downloads, you could skip to the page you left off at.

Jeff didn't want to go, I didn't want them to go.........the time was way too short.

lastday088.jpg

Roll credits.........................

LJG

Bill, I am still reading. Keep them coming. I love this stuff!

Was there a sign on his Copernicia baileyana? When was it planted and from what?

Also, as you know I am a big fan of Syagrus glaucescens. I actully thought they were much slower then it shows. That is not bad from that size. That is easily the largest in CA. Such a cool plant.

BS Man about Palms

Sorry Len,

no mas

:(

Gileno Machado

Wow...

It`s hard to go to sleep with all these Californian pix (and also Hillary x Obama debate with the other eye..  :) ) Paul, Bill, Kim, Jeff...Many thanks for the great coverage. I envy you guys for visiting the conservatory at Huntington`s that was not yet finished when we visited two years ago. All the palms outside are beutifully and harmonically landscaped...and everything looks perfect.

Lytoagrus...that`s something else too...and the Syagrus glaucescens...wow (I`ve just asked a friend for a few of these seeds...).

Nice views from Jack`s place too...keep them coming...

PalmGuyWC

This was a great tour of some beautiful S. Calif. palm gardens, but I didn't see any pics. of Parajubaeas. Isn't there a large one growing across the street from Ralph's place? Love to see some pics of them if you guys got any. Also, are there any groupings of Parajubaeas planted anywhere in S. Cal.?

I'm growing up about a dozen to be planted in a suitable location in the SF Bay Area, preferably in Oakland or San Francisco, and where they can be seen by the public.

Dick

• Upvote 1

madagascarbob

(PalmGuyWC @ Feb. 01 2008,06:25)

This was a great tour of some beautiful S. Calif. palm gardens, but I didn't see any pics. of Parajubaeas. Isn't there a large one growing across the street from Ralph's place? Love to see some pics of them if you guys got any. Also, are there any groupings of Parajubaeas planted anywhere in S. Cal.?

I'm growing up about a dozen to be planted in a suitable location in the SF Bay Area, preferably in Oakland or San Francisco, and where they can be seen by the public.

Dick

Pogobob had one about 30 -40 feet tall that put seed out every year .He cut it down .

PalmGuyWC

Cut it down?????  Why???

Dick

• Upvote 1

Walter John

Thanks again Bill, great work, that gets tiring doesn't it.

MattyB

Way to go Bill!  Epic thread!  I'm glad the Florida dudes got to see some of our coolest stuff.

BS Man about Palms

(Wal @ Feb. 01 2008,09:28)

Thanks again Bill, great work, that gets tiring doesn't it.

Yep, I was nodding off on some of the late night posts.... but the tours were fun!

Thanks Guys

Kris

Dear Bill  :)

lovely coverage ! and 007 like always looks very Macho and he seems to be growing younger & younger_Jeff is their any secreat receipe for all your fan like me... :D

And Bill i have heard a lot of sever trimming the california style but some fan palms in youir final stills,are trimmed too much !

certainly will not trim my palms to that extent !  ???

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

happ

(krisachar @ Feb. 03 2008,10:37)

And Bill i have heard a lot of sever trimming the california style but some fan palms in youir final stills,are trimmed too much !

certainly will not trim my palms to that extent !  ???

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

Perhaps the slower growth rate in California esp in winter is the reason.  Dead fronds either fall off or are trimmed.  Less material to work with in Cali  :laugh:

bgl

Bill,

Thanks for all the photos. Great to see pics from Ralph's place. And good to see the Bismarckia (post 284) do so well. And yes, I did sell that palm to Ralph way back... :)

Bo-Göran

Kris

(happ @ Feb. 03 2008,12:27)

Perhaps the slower growth rate in California esp in winter is the reason.  Dead fronds either fall off or are trimmed.  Less material to work with in Cali  :laugh:

:)

BS Man about Palms

Hmm. I just enjoyed looking at this thread again. What a lot of fun if I do say so myself. :D

Kris
Hmm. I just enjoyed looking at this thread again. What a lot of fun if I do say so myself. :D

Thanks dear Bill for bringing this lovely thread back to the main page..thy eyes never tire seeing such lovely visuals over and over again ! :winkie:

Lots of love,

kris :)

Rafael

Thanks Bill,

What a pleasure seing so much wonderful palms!!!!

DoomsDave

Blahhhhhhhhhh!

Moose

Dang

An epic bump to an epic thread :lol:

• Upvote 1

stygiana

Dang

An epic bump to an epic thread :lol:

Thanks Moose, I enjoyed it a lot!

LJG

Great bump. Amazing how much has changed since these photos were taken.

Dypsisdean

Great bump. Amazing how much has changed since these photos were taken.

Some things have changed - but I still look younger than you.

post-11-0-64379400-1374090883_thumb.jpg

LJG

Dean I was fat and dressed like a tool than but at least I don't squat like you in pics :)

I laugh at how much I thought I knew back in 2008.

Tassie_Troy1971

Great thread and good to see how some of the gardens have grown and yes Len you have certainly slimmed down and lost the skateboarding attire ! :floor:

BS Man about Palms

I'm a slimmer lad too... More gray though.. :(

Ken Johnson

Ya think I look different? Of all the PRA's I ever had this one was the best!

post-50-0-62850800-1374314923_thumb.jpg

avanza

Len i love your paradise garden.

Thank you very much.