IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

007 and Ken hit So Cal

BS Man about Palms

Whoa!  Great pictorial of Louis' place Bill!  Man, I'm trippin'.  Ok, that must be K. pyriformis dude!  Also, if you look closely it has the papery thin margin flaps at the top of the crownshaft, which is exatcly what my K. pyriformis have.  I read up in the New Caledonia book last night and it describes the inland form as being more purple and the coastal form being more coppery.

Ok, still trippin'!  That's a Licuala peltata sumwongii that huge outdoors in CA?  What the heck?  The leaves look perfect.  What is he putting in the water there?  He dosen't even have mulch on the ground!  Amature!

Licuala radula?  What the heck?  How can he grow that stuff?  He's magic.

Outstanding!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(MattyB @ Jan. 30 2008,18:18)

Whoa!  Great pictorial of Louis' place Bill!  Man, I'm trippin'.  Ok, that must be K. pyriformis dude!  Also, if you look closely it has the papery thin margin flaps at the top of the crownshaft, which is exatcly what my K. pyriformis have.  I read up in the New Caledonia book last night and it describes the inland form as being more purple and the coastal form being more coppery.

Ok, still trippin'!  That's a Licuala peltata sumwongii that huge outdoors in CA?  What the heck?  The leaves look perfect.  What is he putting in the water there?  He dosen't even have mulch on the ground!  Amature!

Licuala radula?  What the heck?  How can he grow that stuff?  He's magic.

Outstanding!

YES........he's Louis Hooper. Some what of a legend in my book.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

That Coccothrinax looks like it is actually a Guihaia of sorts.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

(cfkingfish @ Jan. 30 2008,16:17)

That Coccothrinax looks like it is actually a Guihaia of sorts.

Christian, check the bottom of the post, I corrected it.  I'm SURE you didn't notice.... :P   :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Well, continuing on.... I looked about Louis' place, you never know what you'll see.  

I spotted this little variegated Rhapis.

lastday037.jpg

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dave started hugging palms again, I think he thought it was a Royal. Nope.  Its a Kentiopsis Oliviformis!

I think Louis was looking to see if Dave was gonna pull it out of the ground and take it home ... :D

lastday038.jpg

Also in front of Louis Greenhouses and shade structures were this Rav. X and Beccariophoenix.

I can only imagine whats gone thru Louis' greenhouses over the years.... I know some of thos e Dypsis "White Stem" like at the Cuesta Linda garden.  Sad that so few survive.

lastday039.jpg

• Upvote 1

The Boys posed with their "ill gotten booty" as Louis and Carol Hooper give a fine send off.  What a great couple and it was great to be on hallowed ground.

My "Bill gotten booty" was behind me :D

lastday042.jpg

• Upvote 1

We went back to Daves for a brief Pow-Wow. It was decided to quickly go to Bill Dickenson's to see his "Lytoagrus first hand and then off to lunch.

Heres the front of Bills, it started raining pretty good just after we arrived.

Just Dave hugging a palm again, its a totally natural thing.

lastday044.jpg

Bill said this was his Ravenea Mooreii. Looks cool to me!   Wet too.

lastday046.jpg

• Upvote 1

If you talk to Bill for any length of time, you will find he is NOT a fan of "pot planting" at his place!  He said it work for others elsewhere, but not for him. He said most of his pot planted palms have died as they got larger.

Heres a Rav. rivularis that was pot planted

lastday047.jpg

• Upvote 1

And 25' away one that was not.  (I think)

lastday048.jpg

Here was a pot planted Rav. X that was doin OK

lastday050.jpg

lastday049.jpg

• Upvote 1

Lytoagrus dickensonii

Its what were here for.

Its a trip to see in person, its like a weight lifting Lytocaryum. Its big, the leaves touch the ground but are still green, it has the size and hardiness of a queen but the flatter leaves of a Lytocaryum.  Kinda Jurrasic Park thing goin on.

lastday051.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bill was describing how he did it as an expiriment years ago, got three seeds to take, the other 2 died. The momma was a Lytocaryum, poppa was a queen. Does that sound right?  :D:P

Bill pointing out differences. I'm glad he gave us his time while it was raining...

lastday052.jpg

Can you imagine this thing hanging off your Lytocaryum?

lastday053.jpg

Taking it all in!  (Or I should say, taking on water!  :D  )

lastday054.jpg

I see Bills chair there for when he assists the germination.

• Upvote 1

View from the other side.

lastday055.jpg

Note a few of the "offspring" in the foreground on the table.

• Upvote 1

It does get some seed!

lastday056.jpg

Heres the trunk.

lastday057.jpg

After an ENOURMOUS lunch at "The Hat" a local Pastrami chain, we headed back to Daves. (For those of you that have seen me "put away the food", heres how much there was. I ate "half" the gravy frys, the Pastrami cheeseburger and some of Ken Onion rings. It seems I barely made a dent.)

BUT, It was to see that a departure time was approaching for my new friends.... Jeff wanted to get back to "pack" his new seedlings to go home with him.

I usually only see the OTHER end of this procedure...

lastday058.jpg

This is the "tear down" for packing.

• Upvote 1

First you unpot all the little guys and give Dave a fresh supply of "Louis Hooper soil"  :D

lastday059.jpg

Then you would gather together and wrap roots in a wet paper towel or napkin.  Various sizes in play here.

lastday060.jpg

Repeat the above until done, put all in ziploc baggies and place carefully in your carry-on luggage!

lastday061.jpg

While at the banquet, Ralph Velez had said the boys could visit and he would be happy to have them.  I did not ever reach Ralph "post banquet" the Boys said he said he would be home all day.

So based on that info, we made one last dash for the final garden viewing of the trip.

As soon as they were stopped, they were out taking pics!   Can you blame them?  :D :D :D

lastday063.jpg

I told Jeff that the palm in front of him was a favorite of mine due to its rarity of size and unique "feel".

The Syagrus glausescens is almost like a cycad in its looks.

lastday062.jpg

• Upvote 1

When I saw Ralphs a year or more ago I went on the look and finally found a decent big 10 gal size.  :D

lastday064.jpg

Thats a 1 gallon? , planted in 1994!!!! Slow!

• Upvote 1

Jeff had the "Ralph Velez garden viewing procedure" down to a tee.   Ken and Dave just merely amazed!

lastday065.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm out for the night, Epic finishes tomorrow.

Hello again. Is anybody still reading this?  Let me know. Either way, its over tonite I believe.

I believe this is a Dypsis Nauseosa.

lastday066.jpg

• Upvote 1

Another Cocothrinax for Ken to ID.

lastday067.jpg

• Upvote 1

It didn't take long for me to check on one of my favorite palms in Ralphs place.

His Chambeyronia lepidota.  You don't see many of these!  (I know of two gardens with them, Cuesta Linda and Ralphs)

lastday068.jpg

lastday069.jpg

• Upvote 1

Something tropical.....  Some of the nicest Cham Tuerckheimii you'll see anywhere outside.

lastday070.jpg

• Upvote 1

Heres a Big Dypsis...some day....trust me. :D

lastday071.jpg

• Upvote 1

Have you ever seen a Cryosophila albida this tall?  If you had thought ahead to plant one in the 1960's you could see one like this!

lastday072.jpg

• Upvote 1

Dainty stuff mixed in with the big, Thats the way!

lastday073.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here, Jeff averts his eyes while Dave waters some of Ralphs palms.  Or at least it looked like it on my tiny thumbnail in my photobucket account.

lastday074.jpg

Here is the Top of Ralphs "Slick Willy",

lastday075.jpg

and the bottom.

lastday076.jpg

• Upvote 1