IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

007 and Ken hit So Cal

BS Man about Palms

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jan. 28 2008,21:44)

Oops! It appears my focus, er, something was messed up!

Try this..

lastday020.jpg

Bill, I actually thought that mistery palm was Kentiopsis magnifica. What a nice palm Matt has. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

(Ken Johnson @ Jan. 29 2008,09:54)

Deans "Trachy"  Nice one. We saw lots of theses and it was a pleasure as they do not grow well in Fl.

that looks more like the big trithrinax sp.in moderator's front yard,to me...

great pix,ken!

Mod edit: Yep, Paul is correct.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(Ken Johnson @ Jan. 29 2008,10:32)

A DJ Burretiokentia hapala ( I think...on second thought it may be a Kogeeeeee )Not a code name. I am trying to grow these in So Fo.

Third edit.

May be a Kentiopsis. HELP

That's a Burretokentia hapala.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Ken Johnson @ Jan. 29 2008,11:07)

Bill, Are you sure? Post 183?

This is a B, armata?

That is an armata.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So, what is the mystery palm at Louis'?  Lemurophoenix?  Kentiopsis?  It's awfully purple.  Are you alluding that it's a Kentiopsis pyriformis Bill?  I don't know, you got me.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Based on Bill's clues, it has to be Kentiopsis pyriformis I think.  But it's very odd to me that it has no apparent crownshaft above the soil level.  Do they really go subterranean that much?  That is incredible that he has one so big though...maybe the larget pyriformis outside of NC?

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Are we sure it's not a Lemur?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

To me it looks like a Kentiopsis. I never would have been able to guess pyriformis as any books you read on it do not describe it with that coloration. I guessed Magnifica because it is still a little distichous and has the purple 'fuzzed' petioles, although much more pronounced then others I have seen.

Here is a pic of mine. You can see the purple petioles and similar emergent leaf.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/167078/

Being a rookie I was to scared to put my guess after two people said Lemurophoenix. To me that plant is WAY to healthy and too big to be a Lemurophoenix in SoCal. But Matt's point about the crown shaft is a good one. My small Kentiopsis all have it well above the soil line, even as smaller plants.

So what it is Bill? Your hint says K. pyriformis. Wonder how he got it if it is?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

From what I understand the K. pyriformis has two forms, one of which is described as being more purple.  This one is definately more purple than the one Dean gave me which was also growing in shade.  I think this is Lemurophoenix haleuxii though.  Bill, we need a definitive I.D., go ask Louis Hooper.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 29 2008,11:48)

(Ken Johnson @ Jan. 29 2008,10:32)

A DJ Burretiokentia hapala ( I think...on second thought it may be a Kogeeeeee )Not a code name. I am trying to grow these in So Fo.

Third edit.

May be a Kentiopsis. HELP

That's a Burretokentia hapala.

Dave, IIRC Bob does not own a seeding hapala. Its a Koghiensis.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(MattyB @ Jan. 29 2008,14:46)

From what I understand the K. pyriformis has two forms, one of which is described as being more purple.  This one is definately more purple than the one Dean gave me which was also growing in shade.  I think this is Lemurophoenix haleuxii though.  Bill, we need a definitive I.D., go ask Louis Hooper.

When I asked Louis, he said it was a "Kentiopsis piersoniorum. Since as many of you know, that palm is one of my top 3 faves, I knew it was not.  After looking closer, and based on my owning all four Kentiopsis species in good size, (except pyriformis) I figured it was a Kentiopsis pyriformis. The petioles are as smooth as glass, no tomentum whatsoever.  Since I had seen Deans that he gave to Matty, It was obvious when you see it in person.

I'll bet Dean and Louis got them at the same time, its just Louis planted his.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I was going to ask Bill if the petioles were "glossy" or "matte".  Kentiopsis piersoniorum and pyriformis have very smooth, nearly shiny petioles.  Lemurophoenix petioles have more of a matte type finish to them.  

Bill I agree with you that it is probably not piersoniorum.  The color of the new leaf I think rules out K magnifica (which would be VERY red...the leaf color also doesn't look like a Lemur).  And it's obviously not K oliviformis...so that pretty much just leaves pyriformis.  That's amazing.  They must like being in the ground!  Bill...hint hint.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

(Matt in SD @ Jan. 29 2008,21:58)

I was going to ask Bill if the petioles were "glossy" or "matte".  Kentiopsis piersoniorum and pyriformis have very smooth, nearly shiny petioles.  Lemurophoenix petioles have more of a matte type finish to them.  

Bill I agree with you that it is probably not piersoniorum.  The color of the new leaf I think rules out K magnifica (which would be VERY red...the leaf color also doesn't look like a Lemur).  And it's obviously not K oliviformis...so that pretty much just leaves pyriformis.  That's amazing.  They must like being in the ground!  Bill...hint hint.

Matt

I hope ALL my palms go in the ground someday!!!   :D (My pyriformis is at best, a nice 3 gal) The others are 18" box size or bigger.

OK, continuing back at Louis place.. More up front

lastday004.jpg

• Upvote 1

We moved into the courtyard and started to see Loius' specialty, Rhapis.  I don't know all of them, Jeff took notes, maybe he came help.

lastday005.jpg

• Upvote 1

Heres a real nice Ravenea hildebrandtii.

lastday006.jpg

• Upvote 1

Licuala grandis? sumawongi? Jeff?

lastday008.jpg

Guihaia argyrata to the left.

• Upvote 1

Nope, oops, Jeff's in this picture

lastday009.jpg

Whats he pointing at?

• Upvote 1

Ah Ha!  Jeff spied a split leaf Metalica. Sweet!

lastday010.jpg

• Upvote 1

A Licuala radula framed by a Guihaia.

lastday011.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'd like to also say it was a pleasure meeting Jeff and Ken at the PSSC Banquet! (as well as getting to see and talk to all the palmtalk forum members in person again!).

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the FOOD at the banquet....in a word: AWESOME! BBQ tri tip, and chicken that literally fell off the bone (I had TWO plates!), salad, bread, beans and cherry pie for dessert!

Thanks to Ralph Velez for his excellent Costa Rica rainforest presentation, and to Kevin Weaver for a very entertaining auction (I now have an E. lehmannii that i have named "Jack"....it's Not For Sale   :P )

I hope to make a trip out to Florida to visit my brother sometime in the near future, and I'll make sure to take Jeff up on his offer to show me around his nursery when i get there.

Thanks Bill for being the CA ambassador and taking these great guys around to visit some of the best gardens in Southern Cal, and thanks for posting all the great pics!

Now Bill....you forgot to name the Dioon in post #215.....anyone wanna take a guess?

Another Joey here. Looks like the sun is a bit much.... BUT, its growing. :)

lastday012.jpg

• Upvote 1

Burt, Thanks-

I think the Dioon in #215 was a Thomaselli,  not sure though.  I do remember the one barely visible behind is a Cycas petrea.

Here is a very large stand of Cham. fragrans

lastday015.jpg

Complete with Jeff taking notes and Louis looking on.

lastday016.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here was Louis "photo op" with his "offspring"  Rhapis var " Alicia

lastday017.jpg

It is a cross between humilis and laosensis.  Louis named it after his daughter. (Jeff, its in your So Cal guide to palms)

• Upvote 1

OK, Here is all 3 good pics of the now "known as Kentiopsis pyriformis" with an extra trunk shot.

lastday021.jpg

lastday020.jpg

lastday022.jpg

AWESOME, just AWESOME

Heres a cute little "potato chip" palm, Cham. tuercheimii

lastday025.jpg

• Upvote 1

Can you imagine getting to see this out your kitchen window every morning as you enjoy breakfast?

Neither can I, so use this picture instead.

lastday026.jpg

I suspect the view gets better when Kens not in it!  :P

KEEP EM COMIN BILL!

p.s. I think the dioon in #215 is Dioon sonorense.....only one of the dioon's with really twisty leaves like that.

BEAUTIFUL!

Speaking of Ken, he should identify this Cocothrinax

lastday027.jpg

OOPS! once I see the picture bigger, I realise it was Louis' Guihaia in the "sun"

• Upvote 1

Two Pritchardia, I think a Hillebrandii on the leftii, and unnamed on the rightii, I think a Cycas circinalisisisisisis in the foreground!

lastday030.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ken whips out his notes on the Dypsis "slick Willy" as we approach, Dean learned him up real good.  He moderated him up some "Onilahensis versus Slick Willy" knowledge.

lastday031.jpg

Slick Willy

lastday032.jpg

There was heated discussions as to whether "slick willy" and "Upright Onilahensis" are the same palm.  I think not, I agree with either Dean or Jeff that said there may be "3 versions"

• Upvote 1

I spun around looking for one of the "expected palms" I purposely wanted to see.  I saw this looking up to the sky.

Louis apologised as it was hit hard by last winters cold a year ago.

lastday029.jpg

The base, a little closer, but still not close enough.

lastday028.jpg

• Upvote 1

NOW!  Finally! I can see why this palm was named "OCWS" (orange crownshaft white shaft)  If you look close, you can see some orange under the leaf base as on Bo's "orange crush" AND the white "powder" on the shaft of the petiole.

lastday035.jpg

lastday036.jpg

I'm lucky enough to have one.  :blush:

• Upvote 1

Sleep awaits, more gardens tomorrow!  Bill Dickensons and Ralph Velez'

(tropicalb @ Jan. 30 2008,01:51)

I'd like to also say it was a pleasure meeting Jeff and Ken at the PSSC Banquet! (as well as getting to see and talk to all the palmtalk forum members in person again!).

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the FOOD at the banquet....in a word: AWESOME! BBQ tri tip, and chicken that literally fell off the bone (I had TWO plates!), salad, bread, beans and cherry pie for dessert!

Thanks to Ralph Velez for his excellent Costa Rica rainforest presentation, and to Kevin Weaver for a very entertaining auction (I now have an E. lehmannii that i have named "Jack"....it's Not For Sale   :P )

I hope to make a trip out to Florida to visit my brother sometime in the near future, and I'll make sure to take Jeff up on his offer to show me around his nursery when i get there.

Thanks Bill for being the CA ambassador and taking these great guys around to visit some of the best gardens in Southern Cal, and thanks for posting all the great pics!

Now Bill....you forgot to name the Dioon in post #215.....anyone wanna take a guess?

Burt,

Your absolutely right. The food was very good, especially the chicken. Many thanks for those responsible for putting this together.

Also, it was nice to meet you as well. You showed alot of enthusiasm towards your palm collecting. Hope you can make it down someday.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(tropicalb @ Jan. 29 2008,22:51)

At least I have some connection to that Encephalartos.  If only it was in my backyard...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...