IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

007 and Ken hit So Cal

BS Man about Palms

After talking with Jeff at length about this, it appears there are several types of "Dypsis tsarantananensis".  (oh really)  This is one type, I and Bud Zager have different types, Jeff has different ones also?

lastday077.jpg

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks for the "Mike check" Bill.

Its a jungle in there!!

lastday078.jpg

lastday079.jpg

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Ralph has so much on his lot, it has spilled to his neighbors house(s)

I am looking across the neighbors yard from Ralphs.

lastday080.jpg

• Upvote 1

When you see a Bizzy that you have to look up to see the top.....

lastday082.jpg

You may see this at the bottom.

lastday081.jpg

I think Bo said he sold this to Ralph as he left for Hawaii!  ???

This is another palm that I saw at Ralphs a while back and soon went on the hunt for..

Copernicia Baileyana                          Ken saw mine on the way home and said I had a real nice one with just the upright growth he looks for!  (think what you may..., only Ken, Jeff and I know)

lastday083.jpg

OK- this is the "upright part"

lastday084.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 days of palm overload was starting to kick in, I didn't know what to take pictures of, I just was on "autoshoot"

lastday085.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here was a "Chatham Island" Rhopy like at Bobs, just not quite as fat. We were wondering if Kim were here would she touch it.

lastday003.jpg

• Upvote 1

It was getting towards the end. Jeff was sizing up stuff to fit in his carry on ......

lastday087.jpg

Yes, thats Jeff holding onto the Cryosophila.

Yes, Ken is doing what you think he's doing.

• Upvote 1

Soon after, Ken does his best to look very innocent and happy....

well, he got it half right.

lastday086.jpg

Well, Heres the end.  I really enjoyed having these guys show up and be quite happy to slog around with me.  I'm thankful that I was able to get into some places because I was "with them".  I REALLY appreciate the other offers of garden tours that I and they received, but could not make it to.  As I said before, I drove 470 miles over the 4 days, enjoying every bit of it, and that doesn't count the riding time with Kim up to the Huntington!!

I think we gave a Florida guys an appreciation for some of the things we can grow out here.  Jeff said several times to me that he really has changed his opinion as to what we're growin' and doin out here. It's a MUCH larger selection than he thought.

I hope everyone enjoyed this, I tried to do less pics per post in case folks have slow downloads, you could skip to the page you left off at.

Jeff didn't want to go, I didn't want them to go.........the time was way too short.

lastday088.jpg

Roll credits.........................

Bill, I am still reading. Keep them coming. I love this stuff!

Was there a sign on his Copernicia baileyana? When was it planted and from what?

Also, as you know I am a big fan of Syagrus glaucescens. I actully thought they were much slower then it shows. That is not bad from that size. That is easily the largest in CA. Such a cool plant.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Sorry Len,

no mas

:(

Wow...

It`s hard to go to sleep with all these Californian pix (and also Hillary x Obama debate with the other eye..  :) ) Paul, Bill, Kim, Jeff...Many thanks for the great coverage. I envy you guys for visiting the conservatory at Huntington`s that was not yet finished when we visited two years ago. All the palms outside are beutifully and harmonically landscaped...and everything looks perfect.

Lytoagrus...that`s something else too...and the Syagrus glaucescens...wow (I`ve just asked a friend for a few of these seeds...).

Nice views from Jack`s place too...keep them coming...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

This was a great tour of some beautiful S. Calif. palm gardens, but I didn't see any pics. of Parajubaeas. Isn't there a large one growing across the street from Ralph's place? Love to see some pics of them if you guys got any. Also, are there any groupings of Parajubaeas planted anywhere in S. Cal.?

I'm growing up about a dozen to be planted in a suitable location in the SF Bay Area, preferably in Oakland or San Francisco, and where they can be seen by the public.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

(PalmGuyWC @ Feb. 01 2008,06:25)

This was a great tour of some beautiful S. Calif. palm gardens, but I didn't see any pics. of Parajubaeas. Isn't there a large one growing across the street from Ralph's place? Love to see some pics of them if you guys got any. Also, are there any groupings of Parajubaeas planted anywhere in S. Cal.?

I'm growing up about a dozen to be planted in a suitable location in the SF Bay Area, preferably in Oakland or San Francisco, and where they can be seen by the public.

Dick

Pogobob had one about 30 -40 feet tall that put seed out every year .He cut it down .

Dick,

Kim took a pic in this thread.  2nd pic, post 38 at the Huntington, I was desribing an "overhead watering" pic someone had posted.

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboar...t=ST;f=1;t=9811

Thanks again Bill, great work, that gets tiring doesn't it.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Way to go Bill!  Epic thread!  I'm glad the Florida dudes got to see some of our coolest stuff.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(Wal @ Feb. 01 2008,09:28)

Thanks again Bill, great work, that gets tiring doesn't it.

Yep, I was nodding off on some of the late night posts.... but the tours were fun!

Thanks Guys

Dear Bill  :)

lovely coverage ! and 007 like always looks very Macho and he seems to be growing younger & younger_Jeff is their any secreat receipe for all your fan like me... :D

And Bill i have heard a lot of sever trimming the california style but some fan palms in youir final stills,are trimmed too much !

certainly will not trim my palms to that extent !  ???

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(krisachar @ Feb. 03 2008,10:37)

And Bill i have heard a lot of sever trimming the california style but some fan palms in youir final stills,are trimmed too much !

certainly will not trim my palms to that extent !  ???

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

Perhaps the slower growth rate in California esp in winter is the reason.  Dead fronds either fall off or are trimmed.  Less material to work with in Cali  :laugh:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Bill,

Thanks for all the photos. Great to see pics from Ralph's place. And good to see the Bismarckia (post 284) do so well. And yes, I did sell that palm to Ralph way back... :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(happ @ Feb. 03 2008,12:27)

Perhaps the slower growth rate in California esp in winter is the reason.  Dead fronds either fall off or are trimmed.  Less material to work with in Cali  :laugh:

:)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 1 year later...

Hmm. I just enjoyed looking at this thread again. What a lot of fun if I do say so myself. :D

Hmm. I just enjoyed looking at this thread again. What a lot of fun if I do say so myself. :D

Thanks dear Bill for bringing this lovely thread back to the main page..thy eyes never tire seeing such lovely visuals over and over again ! :winkie:

Lots of love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Blahhhhhhhhhh!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 years later...

Dang

An epic bump to an epic thread :lol:

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Dang

An epic bump to an epic thread :lol:

Thanks Moose, I enjoyed it a lot!

Sebastian, garden on La Palma island, 370 m (1200 feet) above sea level / USDA Zone 11/12 ; Heat zone IV / V

Record High: 42°C (107F) / Record Low: 9°C (48°F). Rain: 600 mm (24 inches) per year with dry/wet seasons. Warm Season: July-November / Cool Season: December-June
Warmest month (August/September) average minimum temperature : 21°C (70°F) / Warmest month (August/September) average maximum temperature : 28°C (82°F)
Coldest month (February/March) average minimum temperature : 14,5°C (58°F) / Coldest month (February/March) average maximum temperature : 21°C (70°F)

Temperature of the sea : minimum of 20°C (68°F) in march, maximum of 25°C (77°F) in September/October.

Great bump. Amazing how much has changed since these photos were taken.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Great bump. Amazing how much has changed since these photos were taken.

Some things have changed - but I still look younger than you.

post-11-0-64379400-1374090883_thumb.jpg

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Dean I was fat and dressed like a tool than but at least I don't squat like you in pics :)

I laugh at how much I thought I knew back in 2008.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Great thread and good to see how some of the gardens have grown and yes Len you have certainly slimmed down and lost the skateboarding attire ! :floor:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I'm a slimmer lad too... More gray though.. :(