IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

007 and Ken hit So Cal

BS Man about Palms

(palmotrafficante @ Jan. 28 2008,18:07)

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Jan. 28 2008,16:56)

(Gtlevine @ Jan. 28 2008,16:43)

I think the Florida folks will have a little more respect for what we can do on the west coast.

Gary

Sin mosquitos... :P

I will take mosquitos over mudslides and fires any day.

you can spray for mosquitos :)

We knock our skeeters silly with wildfires, then bury them with mudslides....works for us  :;):

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

:) Hi Guys,

Great to be able to put Names and faces to some of the guys

Enjoying themselves.

Great Trip had by all by the looks of things & Lots & lots to see, Thanks to all

for showing/ sharing All

Your Pictures with us.

Cheers to all, Regards.

Mikey.

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Well........I'm, HOME !! My wife's going to let me just post this one quick reply (have more important things to do :D ). What a great trip we had. I can't even think of where to start. I took well over 300 hundred pictures(don't worry, they won't all get put on, don't want to bore some of you). But, I will start out by saying that Ken and I couldn't of had a better time. And I sincerly mean that. Everyone we met was extreamly nice and helpful. We met alot of new people and caught up with some old friends that I have not seen for quite some time. And I just would like to thank everyone for treating us so warmly. But, special thanks to Bill, he spent so many hours with us driving us everywhere. It made things go so much more smoother. Thanks Bill! I owe you!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(BS @ Man about Palms,Jan. 27 2008,02:07)

At the front of Cuesta Linda we found this awesome dypsis...

2ndday022.jpg

Wow...That Dypsis does look awesome. Not sure, but it looks like a hybrid of Lutescens and Cabadae. I'm very impressed with the variety of palms in the post. Makes me want to get some more seeds. Thanks alot guys!

It looks like you guys had fun.

Cheers,

Mike F

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

All I will say is that mosquitos can really ruin the fun of being outside in a palm garden or anywhere for that matter.  Even with our fast draining soil and no standing water (except in the bromeliads and our Coqui tree frogs help out with that) we still do have some mosquitos at certain times of the year.  However, they are not enough to bother so that we don't want to be outside.  However, in some of the wetter areas of the island mosquitos can be quite bothersome at times.

Yes, I'm sure spraying can help but what do they use and what are the short or long term side effects.  Do those chemicals used work their way into the water table or soils and thereby get into the food chain?  I also hesitate to spray some of those insect repellents on my skin to be absorbed into the bloodstream.  Not even mentioned are the various diseases mosquitos can infect us with.  Anyway, it's something to think about or be aware of.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Michael (Ferreira),

I believe this to be the same plant that Rancho Soledad has been selling as many things. The latest is Dypsis psammophila. Which it is not of course.

It is more Dypsis albofarinosa then anything else. I have the Rancho Soledad plant in shade and looks like this one. However it looks like it can take fun sun and does better with it.

What do you think Bill? You saw both.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Len, I meant Spindle.Any idea how old?Skeeters worry me as much as Gators.

What you look for is what is looking

That stated,I do agree that the Floridians have probably gained alot of respect for that terrific stuff in California.

What you look for is what is looking

Jeff-- (and Ken!), It really was my pleasure. :)

Mike, just wait, theres some more suprises coming!  (Just a mini-clue, the recent palm Matty got from Dean appears to not be the largest in So Cal!)

Len- I think I agree with that clumper, Jeffs is in full sun and compact, yours is shaded and looks stretched.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Glad everyone is enjoying it. Tonite will be sporadic.

Continuing on, I spotted this, I think it was Livistona domigiana ?  Jeff was taking notes, I hope he got it.

3rdday011.jpg

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

We went around the pond... No pictures.. :(  But I was looking for some "hidden" Ceroxylon I saw last time.  I couldn't find it, but Jack and I spied this Attalea sp.

3rdday012.jpg

• Upvote 1

I think it looked pretty good considering its outside in LA and its January!  :)

3rdday013.jpg

As we were walking back to the conservatory, we spied this. I wonder if they were anywhere near Lotusland in November....  :(

3rdday014.jpg

Once inside the conservatory, Jeff was in his element...

3rdday015.jpg

• Upvote 1

Photo ops were everywhere, I didn't take many because everyone else was.

3rdday016.jpg

Note the SEEDING Joey Palm under Jeffs elbow.  He said they even have a hard time with them in Florida.

• Upvote 1

Just before Ralph Velez was to start his presentation, Paul and Bob took me out to get pics of a "Meyrta" like I was getting from Peter.  Turns out they're different, COOL!

3rdday017.jpg

I believe this was "Moonlight"

• Upvote 1

This was the "standard model" Meyrta.

3rdday018.jpg

3rdday019.jpg

It appears the photo above is useless, enjoy it anyway.

Peter got me a "Meyrta Balanse" from New Caledonia as shown elsewhere.

On the way back, Bob and I spotted this "Whateveritis"

3rdday020.jpg

It looked pretty cool.

3rdday021.jpg

At this point it got dark and the passage of time occured. Ralph gave his slide show about Costa Rica, I couldn't take pictures, so there.

Also, the auction started after that, I was too busy buying palms and Cycads to take a pic.

Got a few things, including a Dioon Merolae. Remember that.

After that, a merry caravan traveled along to El and La Hoagies.  La Hoagie met us after playing hookey from the banquet for some useless, unacceptable, unexplainable reason.

But we were happy to see her.  :)

I think its pretty cool that Jack put that line horizontally along the front of his house so he could remember how tall his palms were when he planted them.  

3rdday022.jpg

This is a fairly terrible picture of the view just to the "southeast" of Jacks, I believe.

3rdday023.jpg

This picture at least gets more people we know in it!

3rdday024.jpg

Bill...pretty sure the palm in post 130 is a Brahea.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

OK

It got dark, We all went home happy and sad.  IT started raining pretty hard.

What would I do the next day?  ???

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jan. 28 2008,22:42)

On the way back, Bob and I spotted this "Whateveritis"

3rdday020.jpg

Common name here is Japanese Magnolia (Magnolia x soulangeana).  They are just starting to bloom here.  And they hold the blooms for a month or more.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Bill!

You were the host with the most, on the whole West Coast . . . . .

Thank you for helping squire our guests on Sunday!

The tree in posts 138 and 139 is a Magnolia solangiana (someone correct me on the exact name, but that's close) and it blooms rabidly in the winter.  It's one of the few plants that will grow both here and in Ohio and just as well, too.  Also Magnolia stellata.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Oh MY God!!!!!

What a fantastic trip! The experience was near nirvana. The Cali palms were bitchen and trippin but the people were the best part!

Thanks BS Man About TVR's!!!!!!! And to all that welcomed us to their gardens. I just now uploaded my pix and will sort through and post soon.

So Cal ROCKS!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

What an awesome palm garden tour!!! I have toured most of those gardens myself and they are some of my favorites! Thanks for posting BS man. Keep the pics coming.

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Steve, I'll need to tour yours one of these days, and worship at the Shrine of the Real Ambositrae, or whatever it is . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Well, I said my goodbyes to the Florida guys and the "other" So Calians and Kim, Paul , Alan and I headed back that night, we ate at a great Carribean place near Alan and were tuckered out.... Kim and Paul kept goin on home.....

What would I do Sunday?  It was raining cats and Dogs Sat night, but Sunday dawned pretty dry, well sorta.  Thats it, I was in!

ONE garden, they were goin too, I had never been to before!  I had to go, he had said I could come in the past, I had just never made it..............

I went, I smiled I was happy!   I drove back up to meet Dave (the overnight entertainment host :D ), Jeff and Ken at  LOUIS HOOPERS.

For you noobies, if you have one of those "super durable" Chamadorea Hooperiana's, its named after this dude!

lastday001.jpg

Louis is the closest one to the sidewalk.  Dave is resplendant in his blue converse of course.

I'm glad that both Ken and Jeff have safely checked in.....

we now return to our tour...

Here is Louis' Dioon Merolae

lastday002.jpg

SEE! I got one JUST like it at the banquet, Its just mine is 25 years "more fresher"  :P

• Upvote 1

Well, I'm out for the night, but I thought I'd leave a tease.

I expected some certain palms at Louis', OTHERS I did not!!

THIS, is one of the "OTHERS"

What do you think it is? I'll tell you what it was decided tomorrow... :)

lastday021.jpg

• Upvote 1

OK, I can't resist, heres some more of it.

lastday018.jpg

• Upvote 1

Oops! It appears my focus, er, something was messed up!

Try this..

lastday020.jpg

• Upvote 1

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jan. 28 2008,19:51)

After that, a merry caravan traveled along to El and La Hoagies.  La Hoagie met us after playing hookey from the banquet for some useless, unacceptable, unexplainable reason.

I think its pretty cool that Jack put that line horizontally along the front of his house so he could remember how tall his palms were when he planted them.  

LaHoagie was out buying the beer, and cranberry juice for Jeff :) Seriously, I'm glad you guys stopped by our place even though there's not many palms to see yet. And thanks to Ken for ID'ing all the Copernicia and Coccothrinax I have in my greenhouse...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Sleep on that!  :cool:  (the mystery, not La Hoagie) ???

(elHoagie @ Jan. 28 2008,21:47)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Jan. 28 2008,19:51)

LaHoagie was out buying the beer, and cranberry juice for Jeff :) Seriously, I'm glad you guys stopped by our place even though there's not many palms to see yet. And thanks to Ken for ID'ing all the Copernicia and Coccothrinax I have in my greenhouse...

Yeah Jack, Thanks to Ken, Sorry your Satakentia "isn't one", but then again, neither is mine !  :D