IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

007 and Ken hit So Cal

BS Man about Palms

As we stood around and talked with Len, our "days" hosts had other obligations, so a "food PRA" had an intriguing appeal to our empty stomachs!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(krisachar @ Jan. 27 2008,21:48)

Dear Burt Newman  :)

thanks for the explination..

love,

Kris  :)

By the way bill who's house is that,where there are lots of cycas.is he our forum memeber !if so why did he not give us a tour of it earlier ? iam speachless & stunned by that beautiful garden !

Kris, he has been on palmtalk briefly, all too briefly, he was on to post right after Len had his palms stolen from his place. Jeff posted that he had some stuff taken from his house too.  :angry:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

SO, we met MattyB and Pohonkelapa for::::::: what else? ... . . . wait for it...  SUSHI at Pauls local fave place.

2ndday052.jpg

I found out Jeff was a SUSHI vigin........

• Upvote 1

While Ken proved to be in the expert waters and was ordering without looking at the menu.  He told us he will sometimes take fish in he catches for sushi consumption.

2ndday054.jpg

At some ponit I heard Ken say you were a "cool customer" or the like if reached down and "sucked out the eyeball of a prepared fish and ate it!  :P

I was just content with the "Uni with Quail egg" I had at that point.  Jeff did quite well, thankyou!

OK- that previous picture where Ken is looking at a menu?,  well he had his eyes closed the whole time.....

And thus ended day 2.

As the day started early the next morning Kim came to the house with Paul and Jeff and Ken met us for a VERY quick tour of the "Container Ranch".

Take my word for it.      I don't have any pictures.

Also, you may want to reread some posts, as I am wont to edit until my time deadline. :D

As we left and headed north, Kim said she was game to touch "something big at PogoBobs".  

3rdday001.jpg

So she obliged.  We all watched. But she had her eyes closed the whole time.   Then we left.

• Upvote 1

We then left with Bob and Braden, his son and picked up Alan, Kims brother, and then crammed in a breakfast on the way to the banquet.

It was a "camera-free" pickup and breakfast, trust me again.

I found my camera in my pocket again as we got to the Huntington so I could snap this pic.

3rdday002.jpg

l to r - if squinting, would be: Phil, Ken Johnson, Ashton, avb (aka-Alan) (out of Ashtons head),  Palmgrover and Pohonkelapa (in back with Alan looking at them), Jeff from Trabuco Canyon, and Jeff Searle (007)

We headed out to "see the Huntington" with at least 10 palmtalk members together.  (Have someone else post group photo here) :(

First pic I shot was this Variegated Trachy.

3rdday003.jpg

Look at those stripes!!!

• Upvote 1

Then some Livistona Carinensis, smaller and larger.

3rdday004.jpg

3rdday005.jpg

• Upvote 1

Same thing for Brahea Pimo.

3rdday006.jpg

3rdday007.jpg

• Upvote 1

THEN, like a beacon in the distance, or moths to a flame, it was spotted on the horizon drawing you to it from all around.

3rdday008.jpg

First, by Paul and Ken.

As others approached, the word of the "Brahea decumbens ahead" was passed along....

3rdday009.jpg

• Upvote 1

Reverance of its beauty was duly enjoyed.

3rdday010.jpg

In back in gray sweatshirt- Braden, w/blue jacket and Cap- PogoBob, in red jacket and cap- Bud Zager, in shorts to the right- el Hoagie (Jack Sayer). The rest you know.

And I'm out for the night....more tomorrow

Dear Bill  :)

the silver-white coloured fan palm,what is it ?

is it a breha armeda(the blue hasper palm)or is it some

other breha species..it looks so unnatural to the eyes !

but i love it !

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I love these posts, the gathering of palmophiles out in the fields of play.

Looking forward to more, and Jeff what's the deal with the army jacket ? didn't bring anything else ?  :D  

Like I'm one to talk about fashion  :;):

Keep em coming Bill and others.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jan. 28 2008,01:34)

We headed out to "see the Huntington" with at least 10 palmtalk members together.  (Have someone else post group photo here) :(

First pic I shot was this Variegated Trachy.

3rdday003.jpg

Look at those stripes!!!

are those big thorns on the varigated trachy? ???

or might it be a varigated med fan?

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Tad,

I noticed that too.  It's a Chamaerops.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Bill--

Looks like you're the west coast version of Ryan. Great shots and documenting here!

Looks like good times...

Len--

Your place looks especially awesome!

Thanks for posting these.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

It was great seeing Ken and Jeff at the Banquet.  These two guys have great palm professions in Florida and it's always fun to talk about the trade.  Different genera thrive out here in California compared to Florida.  We all try to grow what does best for our areas.   As many of you know, Jeff's Nursery in Ft. Lauderdale makes available to Floridians lots of good sized rare species.  Ken plays with the "big boys" and has successfully tranplanted many huge rare palms with excellent results (a true specialty in its own right)  Including newer growers like Christian, Justen and others who  propagate back there, I hope you Floridians support all of these palm growers.   It ensures that rare palms will be part of the future.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

(PalmGuyWC @ Jan. 28 2008,04:39)

Tad,

I noticed that too.  It's a Chamaerops.

Dick

OK- I defer to others here. Since the "green variety" is everywhere, I don't bother to pay attention to them much.  (kinda like Kris and Dypsis :D )   Sorry

(krisachar @ Jan. 27 2008,23:33)

Dear Bill  :)

the silver-white coloured fan palm,what is it ?

is it a breha armeda(the blue hasper palm)or is it some

other breha species..it looks so unnatural to the eyes !

but i love it !

thanks & love,

Kris, if it was post 93 you are refering to, the name is there.

(fastfeat @ Jan. 28 2008,07:46)

Bill--

Looks like you're the west coast version of Ryan. Great shots and documenting here!

Looks like good times...

Len--

Your place looks especially awesome!

Thanks for posting these.

Len -- I agree with fastfeat!! Ca you show us more pictures of your garden??

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Stay tuned, there are pages to come. (starting again later tonite)

I should add, I went back up on Sunday to tour some more and for the first time I couldn't take more due to a full memory!  88 shots!!

Bill,

I wasn't trying to be "pickey" about the Chamaerops. You did a great job of giving us a tour of some fabulous private palm gardens. You sure gave those guys from Fla. a whurl wind tour. I'm envious as hell and would have been worn out about half way through. I don't see how you visited so many places in such a short time......I mean, we do have body functions like eating and sleeping!! :) Thanks again.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Jeff and Ken,

I'm amazed by all the stuff you were able to squeeze into just a few days - lots of palm people to see and plenty of great gardens! :)  Almost like a mini-Biennial - except you didn't have to wait for the bus! :D

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I sure was a pleasure to meet Ken and Jeff.  We had a great time at dinner.  Ken is a good hugger  ???

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

BS,Any idea of the age of that Bucaneer Palm on Post 59.Thanks for your hard work.

What you look for is what is looking

(BS @ Man about Palms,Jan. 28 2008,01:00)

SO, we met MattyB and Pohonkelapa for::::::: what else? ... . . . wait for it...  SUSHI at Pauls local fave place.

2ndday052.jpg

It is becoming a trip for the ages already. I wish I could have gone, there are some amazing gardens and collections out west. Len's place looks fantastic. The collection he has put together has some serious age to it already. I could have done some damage at the sushi place. I have been known to consume quite a bit of it when out with friends and family. I am surprised Jeff went in there, I wonder what he ordered?

BS, Man about Palms · Posted on Jan. 28 2008,09:55

Stay tuned, there are pages to come. (starting again later tonite)...I should add, I went back up on Sunday to tour some more and for the first time I couldn't take more due to a full memory!  88 shots!!

I am waiting paitiently Bill, so keep the photos coming. You have captured quite a bit, but I think it's time for you to upgrade to a larger memory card. :)

Ryan

South Florida

Nice pics BS. Looking forward to the rest.

Maybe Jeff or Ken got some more pics of Len's. If not, maybe Len can go out and snap a few instead of that little teaser Bill threw out :D

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

(bubba @ Jan. 28 2008,10:22)

BS,Any idea of the age of that Bucaneer Palm on Post 59.Thanks for your hard work.

That is actually Hyophorbe verschefeltii. Jeff does have a large Pseudophoenix sargentii that was from a FL shipment years ago.

If it has trunk in SoCal, chances are it had its start in FL. In fact I know of no one that germinated their own seed here and has a trunking palm.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

(freakypalmguy @ Jan. 28 2008,11:47)

Maybe Jeff or Ken got some more pics of Len's. If not, maybe Len can go out and snap a few instead of that little teaser Bill threw out :D

Matt, (and others who asked)

Thanks for the comments. The garden is young so I never post pictures. After touring Gary's, Jeff's and Randy's, I felt I have some major years to go. As Ken Johnson said when he was here "It is an up and comer".  :D

Thanks to a strained marriage, depleted retirement funds and a drop in company reserve funds, I now have a nice, young garden. :P

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jan. 28 2008,01:00)

2ndday052.jpg

W H A T ? ! ? !

You didn't have any Pho?

With the King . . . .  :o  :o

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Just want you guys to know I'm enjoying this thread of the two FL guys (Jeff & Ken) visit to SoCal and the gardens you are visiting.  Makes me wish I could have flown over and joined you to visit, talk palms and see some of those SoCal gardens too.  Anyway have fun despite the colder than normal weather.  La Habra Dave ran into similar weather when he visited FL I guess.  

Hope to see some of you in Costa Rica in May.  That should be fun and warm too!

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

We could tell Jeff was a Sushi-novice when he tried to order chili.  But he had no objections to trying it.  I think he liked what he tried.  He even liked the Saba which is vinegared mackarel and can be a bit fishy.  Ken seemed to be an experienced sushi eater.  He was asking for more exotic selections like Abalone, and Sperm Whale.  I didn't even know that was a choice but Ken says he eats it all the time in Florida.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I think the Florida folks will have a little more respect for what we can do on the west coast.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

(Gtlevine @ Jan. 28 2008,16:43)

I think the Florida folks will have a little more respect for what we can do on the west coast.

Gary

Sin mosquitos... :P

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

(LJG @ Jan. 28 2008,15:04)

(freakypalmguy @ Jan. 28 2008,11:47)

Matt, (and others who asked)

Thanks for the comments. The garden is young so I never post pictures. After touring Gary's, Jeff's and Randy's, I felt I have some major years to go. As Ken Johnson said when he was here "It is an up and comer".  :D

Thanks to a strained marriage, depleted retirement funds and a drop in company reserve funds, I now have a nice, young garden. :P

Ha, you want to see up and comer, most of the stuff I plant anymore are seedlings because that's all I can afford. Some of my stuff you have to trip on first before you know if its even there :D

You are not that far from me, I just might have to take a jaunt down your way to see for myself. Looks great in the pic.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Jan. 28 2008,16:56)

(Gtlevine @ Jan. 28 2008,16:43)

Gary

Sin mosquitos... :P

I will take mosquitos over mudslides and fires any day.

you can spray for mosquitos :)

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard