IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

007 and Ken hit So Cal

BS Man about Palms

I'm a bit tired and have to force myself to take pics, but here are some of "the boys".

Camera "warm ups" within an hour of arrival at Mission Bay.

1stday001.jpg

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Under the "silver" Jubea...

1stday002.jpg

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

An early assult on our Modulators place...ALWAYS a special treat.

1stday004.jpg

tired, I'm out..

• Upvote 1

(Gbarce @ Jan. 25 2008,08:31)

What's that palm everyone is gathering around in the 3rd picture?

Looks like a real beaut of a Dypsis decipiens!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

What? Ken and Jeff were in Southern California and no national live feeds of an afternoon police chase on the California highways? They must have been looking at palms.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Yeah, we need a little excitement in Calif. since O.J. is in the slammer. I'm sure the Florida boys will drumm up a little excitement. Nice to see them standing under the one palm they can't grow in S. Florida.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 25 2008,05:37)

(Gbarce @ Jan. 25 2008,08:31)

What's that palm everyone is gathering around in the 3rd picture?

Looks like a real beaut of a Dypsis decipiens!

Larry is correct, although you can't tell from this angle, but there is it's "twin" right behind it, about 10% smaller!  (YES, they take up a lot of room)  :D :D

I forgot to post this..  Ken spied this up a little ways in the silver Jubea.

1stday003.jpg

As, I said early on, I'm notoriously bad at remembering to take pictures!  I enjoy the moment!!!  But, I'm sure the guys will have plenty to post soon.  

This is a fatty Rhopy var "Chatham Island" they liked a lot we saw at Pogobobs after leaving Deans.

1stday005.jpg

Oh yes, Ken found a beer at Bobs to warm him up...  :D

• Upvote 1

After Bob's, he took us to Ron S's in San Clemente also to see his place and the GIANT Dypsis Big Curly in front.

1stday007.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks very much dear Bill for those 007 stills and i must say that iam not surpised seeing bond in So Cal,since his work always warrants constant travell around the globe !

And by the way Bond,where is money penny ?  :)

And Bill those jubea stills are fentastic ! And its nice to see even our Modulator also covered in your stills_I hope they are all classified.... :D

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Color at Ron's place

1stday009.jpg

• Upvote 1

Then a quick jaunt to Rick L's where I spied a "Joey" in the ground, I was shocked!!!!  :o

1stday010.jpg

• Upvote 1

From the deck of Rick's I spied 007 in a weak moment..... I could've taken the shot. . . . . . :cool:

1stday012.jpg

That Rhopalostylis is beautiful.  It's quite a sight along side that Monstera and Chambeyronia (?).  Almost makes me wish I lived there....

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Will the guys be back in Diego at all before they leave? I'd really like to meet the two of them!!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Those Jubea's and Rhap's are phenomenal.Look's like Tallahassee weather,where you got to keep a Pabst Blue Ribbon going just to keep your teeth from chattering.Please call and I will assist in arrangements for Bail money.

What you look for is what is looking

(BS @ Man about Palms,Jan. 25 2008,01:32)

I'm a bit tired and have to force myself to take pics, but here are some of "the boys".

Camera "warm ups" within an hour of arrival at Mission Bay.

1stday001.jpg

:) Hi Bill,

Love those fatties, in the picture. :D I mean the beautiful

size and gurth of the palms, Cool..

Cheers Mikey. :)

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

OK, so pardon while I go slightly off topic here, but those palms are absolutely magnificent.   It seems to me it took more than one man's lifetime to grow them, and they will continue through several more lifetimes given the proper care.  So, a while back there was a thread talking about what in your garden might still be here in a hundred years.  Maybe the best thing you can do is, in your last will and testament, is to will your palms to the local botanical garden.  This is their best chance to really be around in a hundred years.  It is also a good reason to either volunteer in that same garden, or at least join as "a friend of ?? garden."    If they know you in a meaningful way, there is a much greater chance that might actually take your palms and do something meaningful with them.

Just a thought.

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jan. 25 2008,09:44)

Then a quick jaunt to Rick L's where I spied a "Joey" in the ground, I was shocked!!!!  :o

1stday010.jpg

Is that Joey in the ground?!

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

(Surf Guy @ Jan. 25 2008,23:15)

]Then a quick jaunt to Rick L's where I spied a "Joey" in the ground, I was shocked!!!!  :o

[

OOPS! I mean to ask is it growing in San Diego?

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

(Surf Guy @ Jan. 25 2008,20:20)

(Surf Guy @ Jan. 25 2008,23:15)

]Then a quick jaunt to Rick L's where I spied a "Joey" in the ground, I was shocked!!!!  :o

[

OOPS! I mean to ask is it growing in San Diego?

San Clemente!!

Just one tonite...

Matty suprised us first thing this morning at the Container Ranch. He thought there was gonna be Ranch Hand tryouts....

2ndday001.jpg

• Upvote 1

Great to see a gathering of the palm clans.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It seems you had fun. I wish I could drive around your places some day and talk with all of you palm fanantics.

A question: how do you manage to have such an enormous decipiens in post 3? Lots of fertilizer and water? I have not seen any here with such wide leaflets. bruno

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

(bruno @ Jan. 26 2008,02:53)

It seems you had fun. I wish I could drive around your places some day and talk with all of you palm fanantics.

A question: how do you manage to have such an enormous decipiens in post 3? Lots of fertilizer and water? I have not seen any here with such wide leaflets. bruno

Bruno,

Thats the handiwork of our moderator Dean. He holds all the secrets!  :D

(Wal @ Jan. 26 2008,01:23)

Great to see a gathering of the palm clans.

Wal, next we need a USA to Australia expedition, or the other way around!  :)

We arrived at Gary L's place after a delay to get Ken a replacement camera. (Later the old one was found, but won't be retrieved until Saturday)

Here l to r, Gary, Len (LJG), and Jeff listen to Ken regale about moving a palm or two...as Garys great view resides in the back.   This is the Garden that had the fire go thru just months ago.

2ndday002.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here Gary and Jeff discuss who has the largest "blue carrot"  (Rav. xerophila).

2ndday004.jpg

• Upvote 1

While Len looks on thinking "wait till you guys see mine"

2ndday006.jpg

• Upvote 1

Jeff was frantically waving to Ken "to be careful on the rock up there"!! ......

2ndday007.jpg

Moments later Jeff fell from the shot.. :D

2ndday008.jpg

Note Ken smiling.....

Standing next to Garys Beccariophoenix "no-windows".

2ndday009.jpg

• Upvote 1

Great pictures everybody! And seems to me, Jeff and Ken forgot to bring their mittens... :D

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bill, have you seen my wallet?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Sorry Bruno,

I don't know what to tell you. If I do anything differently than my other palms, its that this palm doesn't get regular overhead watering like the rest of the garden. Only periodic very deep watering with a sprinkler for 12 hours or so at a time. So I allow it to dry out quite a bit between waterings.

Other than that, just normal fertilizer (except for the last 4 years), but I am blessed with very deep rich soil.

Or it may be from a super secret source. I bought this palm in the early 1990s from Bo's leaving town sale. Maybe he knows something we don't.  :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Maybe I do....that's why I am here on the Big Island! :D  Ohhh...you were talking about the D. decipiens of course - nope, no secrets there! :P

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Heres more from Thurs.

Jeff and Ken marvel at one of Gary's Hedyscepes.   :D

2ndday011.jpg

• Upvote 1