IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tampa, St. Petersburg, FL weather archives

surgeon83

(surgeon83 @ Jan. 30 2008,21:10)

Based on what I saw when I visited, I am convinced that even the Lealman area benefits long-term from being surrounded by water, even though its several miles away from any actual coast.

True enough.....this is the benefit of Pinellas as a whole.  Theres water on both sides (until you get to north county wheer I am).  Even then, the temperature differences between north county and interior southern county are not that great (2-3F maybe).  But, as palm nuts, well take everything we can get!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 30 2008,22:20)

(surgeon83 @ Jan. 30 2008,21:10)

Based on what I saw when I visited, I am convinced that even the Lealman area benefits long-term from being surrounded by water, even though its several miles away from any actual coast.

True enough.....this is the benefit of Pinellas as a whole.  Theres water on both sides (until you get to north county wheer I am).  Even then, the temperature differences between north county and interior southern county are not that great (2-3F maybe).  But, as palm nuts, well take everything we can get!

There is one little problem with Lealman that should be mentioned.  Some areas have troubles with crime.  It's an older unincorporated area (the reasons I like it; elevation is another) - most of the houses are older, small homes - but there are some bigger ones going up.  Personally, I like the little old houses - mine is a tiny 1930-something.  But others prefer newer and bigger.

Btw, I notice that the NWS reporting station in Lealman is at an elevation of only 7'.  We're much higher up - no flooding here.  As for the train tracks running through the back yards - we're several blocks from the tracks but don't usually hear the trains at all.

Larry - about your pritchardia, aren't those Z11 palms?  I can't believe what you're growing up there, I remember some pix you posted awhile back - wow your palms are lookers!

Going back to the wx archives - is there some place on the NWS site where you can go back several weeks and find out what the low temps were at the different reporting stations around the bay area?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I tried to superimpose a road map on the elevation map just for fun. It is a little messed up though.  :)

post-228-1201753506_thumb.jpg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Bill, that's so cool!!  That is what I was trying to do, but I don't have a program capable of doing that (that I'm aware of).  I wound up just holding the road map up against my computer screen and trying to trace the red circle in St. Pete  ???

Larry- best case scenario I have my house sold and can manage to move to FL in very early May.  Worst case scenario I would have to be there by mid-June.  

SunnyFl- yeah, I've heard a few things about crime.  But then that's what everyone said about Galveston too, and I have what I would consider a perfect neighborhood.  I appreciate the candor, though, and I know it may be hard for me to find a cheaper house in a neighborhood with nice people.  

Only reason I mention the train tracks is I have lived on main roads before, and swore I'd never do it again.  So I'm avoiding all main roads, highways, and train tracks.  A few blocks from the tracks, maybe that wouldn't be noticeable like you said.  But there were 2 houses that on the street map, backed RIGHT up to the tracks, with no streets or space in between, and they were cheaper than houses elsewhere.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

(surgeon83 @ Jan. 31 2008,08:41)

Only reason I mention the train tracks is I have lived on main roads before, and swore I'd never do it again.  So I'm avoiding all main roads, highways, and train tracks.  A few blocks from the tracks, maybe that wouldn't be noticeable like you said.  But there were 2 houses that on the street map, backed RIGHT up to the tracks, with no streets or space in between, and they were cheaper than houses elsewhere.

Yes, if the tracks backed right up behind the house - no.  That wouldn't be good at all.

I hope you can find a nice place around here though - sans train tracks.  And there are a number of smaller streets, not main drags, that are conveniently close to the highway.

If you visit Lealman and happen to notice a quirky small house with a big spindle in front of it (and a ravenea glauca peaking out from behind it) plus a couple of lutescens & roebs - that's my place.  I would use the dypsis fine-leafs as a landmark, but I (ahem) did something stupid, and now - um - their survival is not assured.  argh.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

SunnyFl- if I see a spindle in front of a house, my head will turn.  Chances are I'll drive by it eventually, and I've seen pictures of your house before so I think I'd know it if I saw it.  I'll stop by and say hi some time  :)

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

Brian,

South Tampa's Interbay Peninsula is warm too (below 30F only twice since 1989).  The commute to USF used to take me about 20-30 minutes.  The property here is expensive but it is a buyer's market now.  There are tons of homes for sale.  All I can say about the elevation here is we are higher than the 9th Ward in New Orleans.  

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B