IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Elusive White Serenoa Repens

AlexnAtlanta

Missed this thread first time around, fantastic!

• Upvote 2

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

• 9 months later...

I have two in my garden, one was supposed to be "silver" (the larger one pictured below) but is, at least at this stage, just an attractive light green. After years here it's finally starting to put out new shoots and becoming a nice clump. The other is a variety called "Cinera" (the smaller one pictured below) and looked very silver when I first planted it out. I think the strong sunlight, high temps and low humidity have now changed the color and made it more greenish. As others have written, this genus doesn't appear to grow as robustly in California (north or south) as it does it Florida.  

Serenoa1.jpg

Serenoa2.jpg

• Upvote 2

A couple of things. White saw palmettos do come true from seed. However they need to be from isolated populations, as they are bee pollinated, and the green is totally dominant. There are great white ones all up and down the East Coast. What makes Jupiter/Martin County special, is that you have dense populations of white, with no greens for miles. Also, one of the oddball things about this plant is that fertilizer turns it green, until the fertilizer wears off. The hungrier it is, the whiter it is.

• Upvote 1

I searched through 35000 silver saws and cherry picked the best ones and planted in the ground here to breed. Here is a 3g that i just sold to a customer.

20170817_163015.jpg

• Upvote 7

Resurrection of this topic reminded me to check on my silver Serenoa on the east side of the house. I grew it from seed I got I can't remember where around 2008-09. I planted a couple siblings on the berm at the end of our canal. Yesterday in full sun it looked decidedly silver/white. Today when I took these photos it was partly cloudy so its color is more muted. I would love to get one of the elusive "white" Serenoa but this one is still mightly nice. Next to it is a Chamerops humilis argentea (cerifera) that is the same color. I've found the silver variety is much more prone to rot and spear pull than the green.

Serenoa repens silver, Cape Coral, FL

5999ef5b9abcd_Serenoarepenssilver01.thum

5999ef6dbd4f7_Serenoarepenssilver02.thum

5999ef7926f86_Serenoarepenssilver03.thum

5999ef8eb0a62_Serenoarepenssilver04.thum

5999efa06e621_Serenoarepenssilver05.thum

5999efadbbf9c_Serenoarepenssilver06.thum

5999efbfacbf8_Serenoarepenssilver07.thum

• Upvote 5

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 8/18/2017, 9:17:58, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I searched through 35000 silver saws and cherry picked the best ones and planted in the ground here to breed. Here is a 3g that i just sold to a customer.

20170817_163015.jpg

Looking forward to getting mine. Will keep mine potted at least until next year and maybe only plant it if I find the perfect sunny spot.

• Upvote 2