IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The last one

redant

So out of the blue comes (which ever of the following suits you ....god, mother nature, the devil). It tells you that you have been given palms for millions of years, it is now time for you to decide which palm AND ONLY ONE PALM is the one to stay on the planet, all others will be wiped out.

So kids, which palm would you keep. I'm not talking an entire species (dypsis) but only one type of palm.

Even though I love the looks of even some homely looking palms I always fall for a great looking coconut palm. Versatile in there needs, nothing says tropical more to me then these, useful products from them and a more diversified look (Royals are stunning but all extremely similar. Coconuts grow in strange and interesting ways).

So whats your vote?

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

hmmmmm.......I would have to agree with your take on the coconut. If there is just one variety, then coconuts would be the best since the trunks and growth are so variable.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I too would probably vote for the Coconut for no other reason that it would provide something to eat!  If all the other palms are gone, then I suspect that Publix will no longer have a nice looking produce section :D

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

But does this mean that if I chose.... say the coconut.... that now it would grow where all the other types would? :P  

Because since I want to see palms EVERYWHERE, that would have to affect my choice.

I I could grown it here, then a cocos nucifera. Otherwise I'd have to choose a more hardy palm - and then what would be good? I like washies, but I know that makes alot of people here cringe. Although I haven't figured out why.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Hmmmmmm...If I were unselfish I'd say the Coconut so that the tropical world could continue to benefit from it's many uses.  So, I'll say the King Palm (A. cunninghamina).  Good grower, relatively cold/cool hardy, very rewarding palm.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

OK Doug,

I also have to say coconut. Mainly because of it's ability to colonize every shoreline in the tropics the world over. And it's utility and beauty is hard to match.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Bangalow (Archontophoenix cunninghamiana) is a good choice. It will grow in far more places than coconuts and looks the goods.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

This is getting a little bit boring with all this coconut stuff! And a little bit too much political correctness... Yes, sure the coconut palm is very important for a lot of people in the tropics, but I'm going to be 100% selfish, and suggest that when it comes to the tropical look, Clinostigma samoense is tough to beat.

Evidence:

post-22-1156458006_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(bgl @ Aug. 24 2006,18:20)

This is getting a little bit boring with all this coconut stuff! And a little bit too much political correctness... Yes, sure the coconut palm is very important for a lot of people in the tropics, but I'm going to be 100% selfish, and suggest that when it comes to the tropical look, Clinostigma samoense is tough to beat.

Evidence:

While spectacular palms, my seedlings slowly withered away and died.

Wal, would Archontophoenix cunninghamiana survive beachside? Would be terrible not to have any palms by the beach.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

A. cunningmamiana survives beachside here but can look pretty bad.  I don't think they appreciate the salty/windy conditions.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Forget about beaches! There won't be any beaches in this post apocalyptic scenario!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Ohhhhhh - the photo of the C. samoense is heartstopping.  What an incredible sight!  And to think you can look out on a scene like that.

If it could survive in my hood, it would surely get my vote.

But since it probably can't, I'll go with my current favorite, the dypsis onilahensis.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(bgl @ Aug. 24 2006,18:46)

Forget about beaches! There won't be any beaches in this post apocalyptic scenario!

No, just a big charred, burnt, cheesy, scaley meatball flying through space

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

I can't decide.  There is a case for the coconut.  There is a case for Phoenix palms in cooler climates, particularly dactilifera due to the food source, I love dates.  I somehow knew Bo would choose C.samoense and he also puts forwards a great case, it is an undeniably beautiful and tropical looking palm.  There are a few others I could choose based on those criteria.

At the end of the day, I'm not going to decide, I'm just going to say you are all mad to even entertain the thought.  Why put yourself through such torture?  We are blessed with 100's of palms that, whilst we may not be able to grow them all, they are out there and we may get to see them one day.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa