IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A NEW Big Island Thread

bgl

And the view up the Hamakua coast

post-22-1205028019_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And the downtown buildings along Bayfront (=Kamehameha Avenue)

post-22-1205028064_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

The Hilo Farmers' Market is a very colorful place with lots of locally grown fruit and produce. Here's a lady selling misc. orchids.

post-22-1205028133_thumb.jpg

Papaya is grown all over the place where we live in lower Puna.

post-22-1205028181_thumb.jpg

All sorts of local goodies!

post-22-1205028224_thumb.jpg

Not to mention vegetables...

post-22-1205028259_thumb.jpg

And more orchids!

post-22-1205028290_thumb.jpg

And anthuriums are everywhere

post-22-1205028331_thumb.jpg

Like I said...

post-22-1205028365_thumb.jpg

OK, that's it for the anthuriums!!

post-22-1205028440_thumb.jpg

Lots of colorful art. This part of the market is across Mamo Street from the part that primarily sells fruit and vegetables.

post-22-1205028611_thumb.jpg

This couple, originally from Guangzhou (China) always has lots of very interesting, and tasty, fruit.

post-22-1205028687_thumb.jpg

Same couple, from the other side.

post-22-1205028739_thumb.jpg

And, the main reason for my stop at the market this Saturday morning: to buy a durian ("The King of Fruits"). And this vendor is the ONLY ONE selling durian. Here are 3 of them.

post-22-1205028825_thumb.jpg

I select the only one that's ripe and ready to be eaten today. 7 lbs and $14 (special deal - normally the price is $3 per lb.).

post-22-1205028938_thumb.jpg

After my stop at the market I'm heading up the Hamakua coast to have a close look at a Metroxylon in a garden about a dozen miles up the coast (I know, it's a tough job, but someone's got to do it... :D ). I posted photos from that garden in the Hamakua Garden thread under Discussing Palm Trees.

Heading up from Highway 19 to the garden I can't resist a photo of Mauna Kea.

post-22-1205029110_thumb.jpg

From the same vantage point, looking in the opposite direction out towards the Pacific Ocean. People who live up here have great views. And usually plenty of space!

post-22-1205029200_thumb.jpg

And after a very interesting stop at the garden, the owner, David, and I head down to the little of village of Honomu where we enjoy an interesting conversation at Mr. Ed's Bakery with something to eat and drink. And Dean, the owner, stops by at our table to talk story! :)

The only thing I can't figure out: how come everybody else isn't over here enjoying this amazing place! ???

post-22-1205029476_thumb.jpg

Nice pictures Bo, had such great weather the last few weeks, although a bit dry for Hilo. Just a note, Google Earth has finally

updated the resolution for east Hawaii! I can finally see my house and Bo I can see yours too including the shade structure.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Great photos everyone!  I'm really enjoying this thread about life on the Big Island.  Please keep the pictures coming!    

You know, it's funny how many people come to Costa Rica and ask me "So, what's it like living on the island?" .....Huh?

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

As you may realize, here in Hawai'i they are strict about importing animals... which is good but I do miss my chameleon "Buddie" (he's my avatar)  I had to leave him behind (my mom takes care of him now).

This is Buddie as a "baby" sitting on my thumb...... 1246521564_l.jpg

A more recent pic...

l_da084901f5ea84497d8906a67965470d-.jpg

Panther chameleons are the best as far as color and they are very sweet too.

Check this out...   http://chameleonsonly.com/

You can't bring any reptiles to the big island but a while back, someone released Jackson chameleons....   so...  I went chameleon hunting!!

Here's a few new additions to our garden...

IMGP0310-1.jpg

A baby...

IMGP0245.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Ok just one more of my pet that I had to leave behind   :(

l_0c1fb70cd4629c1fe1a492ffaffccbe4.jpg

We "harvested" these chameleons from a vacant lot across the street...

IMGP0276.jpg

IMGP0298-1.jpg

This guy is my fave...  I named him "Kopala"

IMGP0262.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Angela, your pictures of Buddie are too cool, almost makes me want one. We'll have to stick with our turtles for now.

We went and talked to 'The Turtle Lady' down in HPP and she brought about 100 turtles with her when she moved from

Texas a few years back. She gave us the permit form to bring our turtles with us when we move to Hilo early next year.

Too bad they aren't quick enough to eat Coqui's.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Angela,

I like the spider webs on the lizards horns.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Always wanted to have chameleons as pets.  They are just so facinating.  From the fused toes and prehensile tail to the long stick tongue and the independently moving eyes.  The ability to change color isn't even half of what maked these reptiles so unique.

And you get to pick them up from your back yard????  WOW!  

Hawaii is so cool!!

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

(Gbarce @ Mar. 16 2008,05:41)

Always wanted to have chameleons as pets.  They are just so facinating.  From the fused toes and prehensile tail to the long stick tongue and the independently moving eyes.  The ability to change color isn't even half of what maked these reptiles so unique.

And you get to pick them up from your back yard????  WOW!  

Hawaii is so cool!!

IMGP0347.jpg

IMGP0238.jpg

Actually we didn't have any in our yard before collecting them... that we knew of.  

I was extremely sad to have to leave my pet behind- I went through chameleon withdrawls  :(   We heard about them living here wild so we started looking for some...  turned out there was a bunch right across the street from our driveway...  we started our own "chameleon relocation" program!  We have all the same trees as the trees we found them in so they will be happy!

This is a female... IMGP0218.jpg

They aren't nearly as colorful as Panther Chameleons ( but what are... except for maybe tropical fish?)And if you don't believe me, click on this...

http://chameleonsonly.com/ (if you haven't already). Panthers come from Madagascar....  like so many great things!!  I bought my panther from that website.  They are really nice and very supportive...  I have talked to them on the phone and they are always very helpful.  If anyone is thinking of getting a chameleon as a pet (who DOES NOT live in Hawaii) I highly recommend them!  They even export them to other countries now.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Angela,

Is there a function for the horns?  Do they fight each other or anything of the sort?  What are known as chameleons around here are iguanas that change from grey to green depending on the place they are.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

(amazondk @ Mar. 16 2008,16:05)

Angela,

Is there a function for the horns?  Do they fight each other or anything of the sort?  What are known as chameleons around here are iguanas that change from grey to green depending on the place they are.  

dk

I've heard that the males push each other around with their horns but I've never witnessed it. (I guess you could consider that fighting)  My Panther chameleon does not have horns and the males are more colorful than the females...   the females are a boring grey or brown.  But female and male Jacksons are almost identical in color...  the difference between the sexes are the horns.  Contrary to popular belief, chameleons do NOT change color to blend in with their surroundings...  they change color according to their mood and to communicate with other chameleons.   When they are "happy" (not stressed) they all kinda look like the chameleon in the second picture in post 222. Note he is virtually lacking all of the geometric patterns...  in the last pic you can see "kopala" who was very agitated from my handling him...  he has some nice stripes on his eyelids and a high-contrast geometric pattern. When they are really stressed they turn black.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

(realarch @ Mar. 15 2008,14:34)

Angela, your pictures of Buddie are too cool, almost makes me want one. We'll have to stick with our turtles for now.

We went and talked to 'The Turtle Lady' down in HPP and she brought about 100 turtles with her when she moved from

Texas a few years back. She gave us the permit form to bring our turtles with us when we move to Hilo early next year.

Too bad they aren't quick enough to eat Coqui's.

Tim

Thanks for the compliment.  Hey when you move to Hilo you can go Jackson chameleon collecting too!  They go well in a garden! :)

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Drove down to Kalapana a few days ago, and hiked out to the active lava flow with my sister and her husband (visiting from Sweden). Took us just over 30 minutes to drive down there, and hike out to the active lava flow. That's record time! That's the good news. The bad news is that they kept spectators about 400 ft away from the active flow. I'm used to actually walking on the active lava flow so seeing it from a distance was sort of a let down. Took a few photos, just the same!

Here's a shot of the inland flow (which wasn't all that impressive!)

post-22-1206088595_thumb.jpg

And this is a bit to the left, with several flows going into the Pacific Ocean. When it got dark, this was actually quite impressive but I wasn't able to get a good shot.

post-22-1206088697_thumb.jpg

And part of the crowd out in the middle of nowhere!

post-22-1206088764_thumb.jpg

Can't see the flow in this photo. These palms are living dangerously and may literally be toast VERY soon. The active lava flow is within feet of some of them.

post-22-1206088851_thumb.jpg

Pretty much in the same area. Here's a lava breakout that happened just a few seconds earlier.

post-22-1206088922_thumb.jpg

Here's one more photo from the same occasion. My brother-in-law took this one right after some vegetation (maybe a palm ??? ) went up in flames, This would happen every now and then.

post-22-1206673994_thumb.jpg

A few days later - on March 18 to be exact - we drove to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, and even though the weather was miserable, and our planned Kilauea Iki hike had to be cancelled (well, actually postponed) because of rain, timing was perfect. This photo is taken from the Jagger Museum and the main crater of Halemaumau is visible. That's where all the smoke is coming from. Actually from one of the crater walls. This steam just began a few days earlier, and the Halemaumau outlook had to be closed at that time. I took this photo Tuesday afternoon. Very early Wednesday morning there was an explosion in Halemaumau crater - the first since 1924, and this entire area had to be blocked off because of possible toxic fumes from the volcano.

post-22-1206674378_thumb.jpg

Five days later, and on the last day of my sister and her husband's ten day visit here we decided to drive up to Volcano again, and hopefully do the Kilauea Iki hike (which they've done before). The entire time when we were heading up on Highway 11 it was raining, and things didn't look too promising. As we reached the 3500 ft level on Hwy 11, all of a sudden the clouds began to disappear and we had blue sky. We were - for the most part - above the clouds. At least above the rain clouds.

I've done the Kilauea Iki hike many times, and it's perfect for visitors because it's short (4 miles - at an easy pace it takes about 90 minutes, including a few stops here and there) and you get to see a LOT of different terrain and environments.

Here's a shot from the Kilauea Iki outlook/parking lot towards the steam coming out of Halemaumau.

post-22-1206674661_thumb.jpg

And as we're heading down on the trail on the right side of Kilauea Iki, I'm taking this photo looking back towards the parking lot, which is on top of the crater wall (but not visible in the photo).

There's a "path" across the crater floor, and that's where most people walk on the hike. I don't believe there are any people on the path when this photo was taken, but IF there were, they would probably not be visible in this photo anyway. This crater is a BIG hole! And I should point out that "Iki" means "little" in Hawaiian... :)

post-22-1206674840_thumb.jpg

In Nov/Dec 1959 Kilauea Iki had an incredibly spectacular eruption, with a lava fountain that at times went 1700 ft straight up in the air. That's more than a quarter mile. I found this old photo that was taken at that time. You probably wouldn't want to get too close to this one!

post-22-1206675071_thumb.jpg

After a while we reach the floor of Kilauea Iki. Here's my brother-in-law and sister enjoying the scenery!

post-22-1206675195_thumb.jpg