IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A NEW Big Island Thread

bgl

The old Hawaiians definitely had a thing for rockwalls. And they did it the old fashioned way - just putting the rocks on top of each other, hoping that gravity would not disappoint them! :D

post-22-1203303065_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

After a nice and relaxed walk around Pu'uhonua o Honaunau we drove north to Kailua-Kona, and our first stop was up on the mountain above Kailua-Kona. This is of course where our Moderator, Dean, resides, and we enjoyed a brief visit with a few palms thrown in! This is me, our Co-moderator, Angela, and our Moderator, Dean.

post-22-1203303282_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Then we headed down to Kailua-Kona village and did the obligatory walk along Ali'i Drive. This photo is taken from the exact spot where the Ironman swim begins and the marathon race ends, a number of gruelling hours later. (2.4 mile ocean swim, 112 mile bike run and a 26.2 mile marathon).

post-22-1203303423_thumb.jpg

And the last one for now: Ali'i Drive in Kailua-Kona. From here we drove north, arrived at Ana'eho'omalu Beach just in time for a shot of the sunset (posted in a different thread a few days ago), and then a great dinner at the Marriott right next to the beach.

post-22-1203303519_thumb.jpg

I always enjoy the tour and the beautiful sights, thanks guys and Angela. :D

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(bgl @ Feb. 17 2008,17:14)

Angela,

Great pictures of that bird! But what makes you think it's a "she"? I thought it was generally the guys that wanted to show off...! ???

Bo-Göran

And I have some more Big Island photos - to be posted soon...stay tuned! :)

Yeah usually it's the male birds that show off!

The bird's name is Gidget and the employee referred to it as a she...  so that's what made me think it was a "she" :D  :)

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

(bgl @ Jan. 26 2008,07:27)

And I pull into a parking spot for a quick minute to get a shot of a couple of the C. samoense. These palms live a rough life, which is why the nodes are so close together (even though the palms appear relatively healthy).

post-21-32475-BI_080125_PKP_Clin.JPG

... so healthy... that's the mom of my clino! I got seeds from those plants in June 2004 and soon I will put it in the ground.

Carlo

Meanwhile, back at the "Disneyland" Hilton....

IMGP7661.jpg

Steps from the lobby.

View from the other side...

IMGP7671.jpg

This hotel has its own lagoon...

IMGP7670.jpg

Where was this again??  Disneyland or...?

IMGP7662.jpg

Gee what a cushy job :o

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Wow... great shots, bo! Love the pics of the place of refuge. Something about that place... instantly recognizable... brings back great memories of our visit there. Maybe it's all the mana....

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

(JakeK @ Feb. 17 2008,16:17)

I don't think I'll ever get tired of the 'Big Island' threads, so post on!

Angela, what type of camera do you use? All the pictures you're posting are of really good quality. I'm looking for a new camera, possibly a Nikon D40 since I'm so attached to my Nikon N60. Also, do you record the flv files with the same camera?

I actually use a cheap digital SLR camera...  a Pentax istD.  I do a lot of photography so what was important to me was the size (my hands are small).  I couldn't afford a Canon at the time I was looking for a camera so I had to decide between a Nikon or a Pentax.  I chose Pentax just because it was smaller and fit in my hand better.  The movies are taken with a different camera, a Fuji S700.

Post 27 & 28 was taken with my Fuji camera. :)

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Bo,

Are there many pre European Hawaiian stone structures still around?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

No, I don't believe that there are "many" still in existence, but some of the ones that have survived are very impressive. There's one VERY massive heiau (Hawaiian temple) rock structure very close to the Kawaihae harbor up on the Kohala coast (a bit north of the Hilton where Angela posted these pics from). Havn't been there in a while, though, so I don't have any photos, but may go there next month. My sister from Sweden, and her husband, will be visiting us, so will be acting as "tourguide" again! :)

Bo-Göran

(doubravsky @ Feb. 19 2008,18:13)

Wow... awesome pics! more more more!

Gee thanks!! :)  :)  :)

Don't say "more" unless you mean it because there's a lot more I could post.. :P

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

My parents and I went to South Point.  We stopped at a view point along the way near Ocean View...

DSCF9077.jpg

You could see two different lava flows... the brown one is older.

IMGP9283.jpg

Ooops the horizon is WAY off!!  You could see where we were headed in this shot... past the windmills and out to the southern tip.

IMGP9286.jpg

Stay tuned for more...  South Point was really interesting...

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

After traveling down a dirt road we finally reached "South Point"....

IMGP9343.jpg

IMGP9296.jpg

This is near the most southern part of the U.S.

I double checked on google earth and we pretty much made it to the most southern tip  the other point might beat it by a few meters...  anyway it was close enough!

IMGP9362.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Well the Hawaiians at least thought it was the most southern point.  They made a rock wall here...  you can see it on Google Earth.

IMGP9353.jpg

IMGP9459.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

There were some crazy "local" kids jumping into a "puka" (hole).  It was a very large puka, it is hard to get a sense of the scale!

IMGP9354.jpg

He's waiting for a good time to jump...

Another kid jumping in...

IMGP9356.jpg

My shadow for a little scale..

IMGP9293.jpg

IMGP9315.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Angela,

Great pictures (and video!). That's really a very dangerous game those kids are playing. Considering how far away any medical facility is from South Point, an incident or accident could obviously have very serious consequences.

I have actually never been out to South Point. We're too busy trying to get over to the Kona side early enough...! :)

I checked my Hawaii Atlas & Gazetteer, which has excellent maps that are VERY detailed. If you were just east of HOVE (Hawaiian Ocean View Estates) when you took the pictures in Post 188, then the older flow (close to the camera) is from 1887 and the "newer" flow is from 1907. With almost no rainfall, those lavaflows are going to be visible for centuries. A hundred year old flow on the Hilo side will have 100 ft tall trees on it!

Bo-Göran

Wow!  Can the co-moderator win the photo contest?  'Cause you're pictures are kick puka, putu!  Loving the photos Angela, keep 'em coming.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

• 2 weeks later...

After dropping off a Forum member at Hilo airport (hope you had a good trip back!! :) ), I headed in to Hilo, where I stopped at the Farmer's Market. Reportedly the best Farmer's Market in the entire state! :)

Here's the parking lot across Kamehameha Avenue.

(Note - if YOUR local parking lot doesn't look like this, you probably live in the wrong place....! :D )

post-22-1205027947_thumb.jpg