IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Palm Species Discovered!

FRITO

says there are reported to be less 100 left in habitat... wonder how much these seed will sell for? :P

heres a link to the article:

http://www.mg.co.za/article....rer=RSS

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Sweet, thats good news. Just one thing though. How can such a massive palm go undiscovered? You would think it would spark attention. Ah well i guess if its in a remote location there isnt much you can do about it. Good find!

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Cool!  I just heard the report on the BBC -- how often do you hear about palms in the news on the BBC?!?!?  Very exciting!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Cool, Bruno's palm now has a name.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Interesting looking. Exciting, but what I want to know is how cold hardy it is and will it make it at my place?

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Maybe some people haven't read this topic.....??

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin....netiana

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

What a find, thanks for posting. It's evev on Yahoo's home page!

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Hey guys-

I just got back from dinner with Dr. Dransfield et al. and attended a lecture on the discovery, research, and naming of the new genus Tahina. This is some quick facts about the palm from the lecture.

There are 92 specimens in habitat, and maybe 50 seedlings below the two Tahinas that have flowered in the past two years.

They grow at the edge of limestone formations and hills, but not on the hills themselves. These areas flood seasonally and the palms are immersed in water for a part of the year.

The closest relation to this palm is Kerriodoxa, although Chuniophoenix and Nannorhops are close relations.

This area has been for the most part clear cut and burned except for around this wet swampy area.

The interesting part is that even though the plant is monocarpic, there is no signs of flowering plants except for two that have flowered since its discovery. Even the natives do not remember when the last plant had gone into flower, and no remains of dead palms are around.

It is named after one of the discoverers daughters who helped count them and took an interest in the palm.

I have pictures of the event with a small specimen I borrowed from a friend, and I got to meet up with some great people from the board (waykoolplantz) as well as John Dransfield, Scott Zona, Larry Noblick, and Christie Jones. Pictures will come tomorrow when I get home from Miami.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I was lucky enoughto see and touch a few here in California!!  (All thanks to Gary Levine and his trip to Madagascar) They have since gone to a few corners of the earth, from what I have seen, they seem to grow easy at the seedling stage.  I know a few still in CA. I'm not one of them that has one, Gary has none either :(  I wish he had kept one, I seem to have more faith in his growing abilities than he does.

I knew it was to have her name in it somehow, thats awesome!! How many kids get a genus named after them!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Yahoo! I can put a name on my baby.  I have one of these, as far as I know one of two in CA (like Bill said all from Gary).   It is still looking good with no heat in my greenhouse.  Should be starting it's fourth leaf soon.  Christian, your report that the locals can't remember the last time these flowers makes me even more paranoid about my plant.   I would probably rather have every other palm in my greenhouse die if it meant saving this one.

So this made the BBC?  That's amazing.  Too bad Dransfield didn't mention that I sent him the email alerting him to the photos  :;): .  Oh well I have my own private 15 minutes of palm fame anyways.

And just for anyone who doesn't click on the link above...this forum was a key factor in the discovery of this palm.  Pretty cool I think.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Matt, Dransfield actually did mention your name as a key part in alerting him to this new plant. I forgot to put that in my lecture notes.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε