Sign in to follow this  
FRITO

New Palm Species Discovered!

Palm Guy

Sweet, thats good news. Just one thing though. How can such a massive palm go undiscovered? You would think it would spark attention. Ah well i guess if its in a remote location there isnt much you can do about it. Good find!

Peter

Great!-now who's got seeds??  :D

Jeff in St Pete

Interesting articles!  Thanks for posting the links.

Kim

Cool!  I just heard the report on the BBC -- how often do you hear about palms in the news on the BBC?!?!?  Very exciting!

FRITO

christmas tree on top, LOL

anyone find it yet on google earth, :laugh:

Luke

Tyrone

Cool, Bruno's palm now has a name.

regards

Tyrone

freakypalmguy

Interesting looking. Exciting, but what I want to know is how cold hardy it is and will it make it at my place?

Matt

FRITO

Alberto, I did miss that thread originally. thanks

palmislandRandy

What a find, thanks for posting. It's evev on Yahoo's home page!

cfkingfish

Hey guys-

I just got back from dinner with Dr. Dransfield et al. and attended a lecture on the discovery, research, and naming of the new genus Tahina. This is some quick facts about the palm from the lecture.

There are 92 specimens in habitat, and maybe 50 seedlings below the two Tahinas that have flowered in the past two years.

They grow at the edge of limestone formations and hills, but not on the hills themselves. These areas flood seasonally and the palms are immersed in water for a part of the year.

The closest relation to this palm is Kerriodoxa, although Chuniophoenix and Nannorhops are close relations.

This area has been for the most part clear cut and burned except for around this wet swampy area.

The interesting part is that even though the plant is monocarpic, there is no signs of flowering plants except for two that have flowered since its discovery. Even the natives do not remember when the last plant had gone into flower, and no remains of dead palms are around.

It is named after one of the discoverers daughters who helped count them and took an interest in the palm.

I have pictures of the event with a small specimen I borrowed from a friend, and I got to meet up with some great people from the board (waykoolplantz) as well as John Dransfield, Scott Zona, Larry Noblick, and Christie Jones. Pictures will come tomorrow when I get home from Miami.

BS Man about Palms

I was lucky enoughto see and touch a few here in California!!  (All thanks to Gary Levine and his trip to Madagascar) They have since gone to a few corners of the earth, from what I have seen, they seem to grow easy at the seedling stage.  I know a few still in CA. I'm not one of them that has one, Gary has none either :(  I wish he had kept one, I seem to have more faith in his growing abilities than he does.

I knew it was to have her name in it somehow, thats awesome!! How many kids get a genus named after them!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

Matt in SD

Yahoo! I can put a name on my baby.  I have one of these, as far as I know one of two in CA (like Bill said all from Gary).   It is still looking good with no heat in my greenhouse.  Should be starting it's fourth leaf soon.  Christian, your report that the locals can't remember the last time these flowers makes me even more paranoid about my plant.   I would probably rather have every other palm in my greenhouse die if it meant saving this one.

So this made the BBC?  That's amazing.  Too bad Dransfield didn't mention that I sent him the email alerting him to the photos  :;): .  Oh well I have my own private 15 minutes of palm fame anyways.

And just for anyone who doesn't click on the link above...this forum was a key factor in the discovery of this palm.  Pretty cool I think.

Matt

cfkingfish

Matt, Dransfield actually did mention your name as a key part in alerting him to this new plant. I forgot to put that in my lecture notes.