IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Arriving in Miami-Dade

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

After I left Marco Island, I roared across the Everglades (I NEVER just drive!).

Until, just outside Miami, I saw this forest of dead trees.

I later learned they were the much-hated (gag!  ack!) Australian pines!

post-208-1200371923_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Well, I didn't fall on bended knee and kiss the ground, but my heart leapt yet again, at the Royals lining the roadway . . .

post-208-1200371997_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I had the radio tuned to one of those Latin stations, where a bunch of people pounded conga drums, while she sang:

La la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la

La

La

La (etc.)

post-208-1200372167_thumb.jpg

My first drive-by shot of a Miamimortgagemeltdownmeglamaniamansion.

Say THAT six times fast . . .

La la la la la (etc)

post-208-1200372333_thumb.jpg

Honeeeeeey!

Can't we find a more garish color?  For our lil' MMMMMM?

Hmm?

post-208-1200372420_thumb.jpg

Nice house.

post-208-1200372531_thumb.jpg

NIce street

post-208-1200372583_thumb.jpg

CARPENTARIAS!

I think!

Swoon, ow my head!

post-208-1200372645_thumb.jpg

Alll for now . . . .

Called Waykoolplamz, Mike, and went to visit him . . . .

Another post for another day.

Hold onto your hats, undergarments and red shoes, ladies and germans . . . .

does everyone have a beautiful huge bizzie in the front yard there? :angry:

very cool,actually.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(pohonkelapa @ Jan. 14 2008,23:56)

very cool,actually.

They really don't do that well here, no not really.

Which 'splains a lot . . . .

LOVE the look.

Note the Bizzie's next door to the House of Garish.

dave

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 14 2008,23:50)

CARPENTARIAS!

I think!

Swoon, ow my head!

Dave, I think that is actually a Dypsis species, possibly madagascariensis/lutescens?

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

(cfkingfish @ Jan. 15 2008,00:22)

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 14 2008,23:50)

CARPENTARIAS!

I think!

Swoon, ow my head!

Dave, I think that is actually a Dypsis species, possibly madagascariensis/lutescens?

I'm open to suggestions, effronteristic ideas, whatever . . ..

very cool,actually.

NOOOO, some of us have THREE!!! Would you like to see a pic. of mine Paul? :D  Oh wait, I can't this is Dave's thread. Your so lucky Denton. But I could start a new thread on Bizzy's. OK, continue on dave ole boy.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I took out my bizzie. If I want to see any I just look out any window! :D

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 14 2008,23:38)

Until, just outside Miami, I saw this forest of dead trees.

I later learned they were the much-hated (gag!  ack!) Australian pines!

Oh, so that's what those are.  All those leafless trees made It look like winter up north!

Nice pics, Dave.  The feeling you get when you first arrive to the best place to grow palms in the continental US is indescribable.  

Not sure of the ID of those palms resembling Carpentarias, but they don't quite look like Carpies to me.  I'll have to pull up a real picture for comparison.

-Brian

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

More pics!!  (please)

You are a much different traveller than I am, Dave.  

On my last trip to miami, I stayed at a hotel in south beach, and never even left south beach.  

Palm hunting??  I'd rather go to the beach!

Maybe it's because I'm from a landlocked state?

- Scott -

Littleton Colorado - Zone 6A.

Growing several Rhapidophyllum hystrix, and attempting a T-Fortunei.

(Coloradoboi @ Jan. 15 2008,21:57)

More pics!!  (please)

You are a much different traveller than I am, Dave.  

On my last trip to miami, I stayed at a hotel in south beach, and never even left south beach.  

Palm hunting??  I'd rather go to the beach!

Maybe it's because I'm from a landlocked state?

There's about two thousand more, at least, though not all are postable.

I wanted to see the state and see the palms, and see the people who asked me to come visit them.

I've done the resort thing, too, and yeah, maybe next time. . . .

completely understandable...  I'm a little envious of the trips you take.

I'd like to go palm hunting, but my girlfriend won't allow it on vacation!

Anyhow, great TR's so far.  I hope you enjoyed your trip!

I love how you include pics of the neighborhoods.  This really gives you a feel of the entire area.

- Scott -

Littleton Colorado - Zone 6A.

Growing several Rhapidophyllum hystrix, and attempting a T-Fortunei.

Scott, you could always tell her you are going out for a bottle of champagne to enjoy with her............then get lost for awhile. Always works for me. When she gets mad you have been gone so long, break out the bottle and tell her what beautiful (insert favorite body part here) she has.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

(Jeff Searle @ Jan. 15 2008,09:16)

very cool,actually.

NOOOO, some of us have THREE!!! Would you like to see a pic. of mine Paul? :D  Oh wait, I can't this is Dave's thread. Your so lucky Denton. But I could start a new thread on Bizzy's. OK, continue on dave ole boy.

Jeff

Jeff

Would you post some of your bizzie photos please?  :P

I am coming to a greater appreciation of bismarkia [Fairchild should have a great display, right? Can't seem to recall their location  :laugh: duh

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Bizzies are big but Borasus's are Huge.Certainly not Wine Palm huge but the other day I saw a guy who most likely mistakeningly planted one in his front yard and it currently threatens to take over what is left of mankind.

What you look for is what is looking

(bubba @ Jan. 17 2008,11:15)

Bizzies are big but Borasus's are Huge.Certainly not Wine Palm huge but the other day I saw a guy who most likely mistakeningly planted one in his front yard and it currently threatens to take over what is left of mankind.

:laugh:  :laugh: