IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

TPIE 2008: Tropical Plant Industry Exhibition

Palmarum

TPIE 2008: Tropical Plant Industry Exhibition

January 17th - 19th, 2008

Greater Fort Lauderdale

Broward County Convention Center

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Broward Convention Center

The nights are getting cooler here in South Florida, which means TPIE is just around the corner. This tropical event seems to always coordinate with some of the coldest weather we get for the year. Putting this irony aside, it is easy to get in the mood for what’s new in the world of tropical plants. Even now, I am looking at the floor plan of the convention center, seeing which exhibitors are in the same place, or if they were lucky, were able to upgrade to a larger booth. There is always something new at TPIE. Whether it is a new plant variety or new technology to grow them better, the sheer volume of material is a bit much to absorb in three short days. If you are planning to attend for the first time, do not forget to wear comfortable shoes and be sure to bring a bag to contain all the brochures and info packets you would accumulate. Some exhibitors hand out free ones, but the supply does not last long. If there is anything you require in the business of tropical plants, you will find it at TPIE. The event is closed to the public, but if you are in the business in some degree, you can pay to get in.

I will be there throughout the event, camera in hand of course, looking for the new and interesting. When I am not darting from booth to booth, I will be in booth #737 belonging to Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. If you do come to the convention, come on by and say hello. The booth is towards the back on the right side as you come in, look for the giant Carpoxylon macrospermum. Jeff Searle and I always like to meet people from the Forum; it’s become a constant in this plant world. There should be other Forum members there as well. If you mention a particular company by name, I should be able to get a photo or two of their booth to post. See you there among the plants.

TPIE 2008

Ryan

South Florida

I am still in the middle, chance I will make it, depends on factors way beyond my control.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

First day of this show was today. I left my camera at home(how can I compete with Ryan?), so I didn't take any pictures. So Ryan.........where's the pics? It was a nice first day, saw many people that I know in the industry. A few that came by was our very own IPS president, Paul Craft and Eric,(Eric in Orlando) dropped by.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hey someone do me a favor, go by the schaffer fan booth, look for brad gatty, and tell him you heard he was a survivor of that bridge collapse last year. :)

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

Just for some throw away info, I was curious about the winter timing of this event so I just looked in the Broward Convention Center calendar for July and there's plenty of spare dates then.  ???

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

yeah except industry wise everybodys usually pretty darn busy in july as spring and summer are the busiest times of year for most growers. :)

Abraham Lincoln

3 days to promote plants at the best buying/selling and of course growing time of the year shouldn't be too hard with fair and intelligent employers.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Greenleaf @ Jan. 17 2008,22:24)

3 days to promote plants at the best buying/selling and of course growing time of the year shouldn't be too hard with fair and intelligent employers.

wrong thinking greeny, if your exhibiting its more like 5 days to include packing up,unpacking ,travel ,set up and break down time. not everybody that goes to this show lives in the area, it attracts people from I would guess close to all 50 states, so getting away from the winter for a few days in Ft. Lauderdale..if you lived in michigan is a great bonus, vs the summer if you lived in michigan, which can get hot, and travel to somewhere even warmer...not so much a draw, plus like I said in the spring and summer everybodys busy with work,family vacations,work, etc.. so its really not conducive to putting on a show in july. The Texas show is in august and people complain that its too far to travel and everybodys too busy to be there.  so I think your out voted on this one! :D

Abraham Lincoln

greeny if your so hard up for a show to go to in june, go to the FNGLA show june 12 thru the 15 in palm beach

Abraham Lincoln

There, but for the grace of God goes greeny  :cool:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The show was great but  other than Jeff's, Paul Craft's , and Botanics Wholesale booths not much rare palms to be seen. There were some Cyrtostachys at other booths.

Sorry I missed you Jeff, Robert (the director here at LG) was one of the judges and they asked me to help so we were in there at 7am. I saw Ryan early but didn't make it back by. After the judging walk thru, we didn't have time to get back through the whole show. We left around 1 as Robert had to be back here for an evening meeting. The palms looked great, especially the big Carpoxylon. That was my choice for best specimen. Hopefully the smaller one in the new plant room will draw attention to it. The Euphorbia stenoclada at Boynton Botanicals won. Its a weird plant so check it out. The other judges weren't palm people.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I have been many years....sneaking in as a "non-industry" person but a heavy tropical plant collector. Great show.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Greenleaf · Posted on Jan. 17 2008,22:14

Just for some throw away info, I was curious about the winter timing of this event so I just looked in the Broward Convention Center calendar for July and there's plenty of spare dates then.  ???

TPIE has been estabilished at this time of the year for many years. There are other trade shows around the world and the country that many of the larger exhibitors also attend. Like how Tad had mentioned, many of the people who travel do not want to come here when its really hot. I talked to many of the exhibitors throughout the weekend and the ones that travel south for the show, have no complaints about the scheduling. Many of the larger exhibitors have dedicated personnel that do nothing but travel from show to show, set up, sell and then strike the booths and move on.

Tim McKernan · Posted on Jan. 17 2008,20:50

I'll see you there tomorrow Jeff.  :D

Hey Tim, I saw you for a brief second as I was rushing to a booth to try and buy something. When I came on back to the spot, you had moved on. Next time, I got to remember to wear better shoes I can move faster in.

Eric in Orlando · Posted on Jan. 18 2008,08:33

...The show was great but  other than Jeff's, Paul Craft's , and Botanics Wholesale booths not much rare palms to be seen. There were some Cyrtostachys at other booths. Sorry I missed you Jeff, Robert (the director here at LG) was one of the judges and they asked me to help so we were in there at 7am. I saw Ryan early but didn't make it back by...

Eric, when I saw you fly on by in that golf cart I figured you were busy. At least you got to see everyones' booths. There were some other rarer palms tucked in here and there. I took photos of the ones I found.

Ryan

South Florida

When we arrived at the Broward Convention Center on Wednesday morning for the booth set-up, I could immediately tell it was time for the heavy exhibiting of tropical plants. There were rows of rental trucks, plant carrier box trucks and all sorts of business vehicles with botanical looking logos on the side. Jeff Searle and myself walked on over from the parking garage to the convention center early enough to witness a great deal of setting up still going on. For me, who has been a long time fan of this event since I was young, walking through the auditorium doorway for the nth time was exhilarating. The smell of leaf shine was heavy as apparently many think you need to apply it an inch thick to make an impression. I like shiny foliage as much as the next plant fanatic, but I do not need to see my reflection. By the time we had reached the booth, walking past several other great displays all up and ready, the tropical plant fever had sunk in. Along with the union forklift drivers cursing loud obscenities at each other as they drove past near the speed of sound and the price gouging apparent whenever I glanced at a food court sign, I knew the time for TPIE was upon us.  

Words and photos seldom do this trade show justice. It really needs to be experienced. The pictures I took are just one point of view and do not represent the event in its entirety. If you ever have the chance to attend, you should.

- The cover of the well-done and fairly heavy show brochure. It had all the pertinent information along with the familiar ads from inside-cover to back-cover. They seem to spare no expense in having it made in large quantities. I’m sure a good chunk of the booth fees goes towards making it.

scan0001.jpg

- A somewhat illegible copy of the booth layout map. The print is too small for it to come out legible at any reasonable resolution, but you should be able to get an idea for the size of the show. The Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. booth #737 where I spent the majority of my time was at the top end of the “700 block”. We enjoy our location, as we have close proximity to the loading docks for a quick loading on Saturday and everyone seems to walk the outer ring at some point during the show.

scan0002.jpg

- Wednesday, 9:30AM: The booth as we found it awaiting some serious plant infusion. Our booth had been designed prior to arriving, so the set-up is easy and straight forward. Kind of like painting by number. There is no rush like that of a plant sale, so the time is well spent polishing the rough edges.

2008-01-16_09-30-16.jpg

- 10:14AM: The back of the booth takes shape as Larry Searle adds in some fill material. By this time, the occasional "Hello there" comes flying in from a familiar face or two as they walk on past the booth. Most of them know Jeff or Larry, or they recognize the nursery name. The first person to come on by to say hello was our great friend Joseph from Ortanique.

2008-01-16_10-14-30.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 10:22AM: The booth gets fuller by the minute as the remaining plants are unloaded. This is the right edge of the booth and it features a mature Lytocaryum weddellianum in front of an old Licuala grandis.

2008-01-16_10-22-40.jpg

- I looked over towards the center of the auditorium and noticed one rather well decorated booth, covered with bromeliads. I went on over to take a look and not to my surprise it belonged to Bullis Bromeliads, #917. It was only a double, 10x20, booth but it was well designed and chock full of plant material. They has some more work to do on it, so I decided to wait to take any more photos.

2008-01-16_10-24-12.jpg

- 10:26AM: The back section of the booth, nearly completed, showing a 25 gal. Red Sealing Wax Palm, Cyrtostachys renda in the center. On the left in order to the right, Pinanga coronata, Licuala peltata var. sumawongii, Caryota no and the petioles of a Beccariophoenix madagascariensis in the right corner.

2008-01-16_10-26-32.jpg

- A forklift flies through inbetween the booths taking a sharp turn while just keeping its load from falling off the pallet.

2008-01-16_10-29-42.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 10:32AM: Next off the trailer is the star of the booth, the 65 gallon Carpoxylon macrospermum, still tied-up and packed for transport. It makes the tree dolly look small. Larry Searle on the right, makes sure it goes to the right place in the booth.

2008-01-16_10-32-30.jpg

- A minute later, the palm was untied and loosely placed in its postion. Larry and Jeff take a moment to appreciate their choice for the booth centerpiece. It will later be supported by block and further decorated.

2008-01-16_10-33-58.jpg

- 10:43AM: The lowest leaf was removed to reveal the colorful crownshaft and the entire palm was lifted up onto block. Long-time employee Amadeo poses next to the Carpoxylon macrospermum.

2008-01-16_10-43-38.jpg

- I turned to my right to notice this huge, multiple Adonidia merrillii cluster being slowly guided down the aisle. It parted the crowd of workers and exhibitors as if it was a celebrity. Many just did not want to be run over by it. I was not sure to which booth it was going to, but I sure it was one of the large tree farms.

2008-01-16_11-13-50.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1:10PM: A short time after lunch, the booth was finished and Jeff Searle and myself were left to tidy the edges, take photos and get some brochures stashed away for tomorrow. Afterwards we took to the carpet, to take a look around the show at the different booths and exhibits. That clustering palm in the left corner was an Areca triandra, covered in back by a Kerriodoxa elegans, with a Brownea grandiceps to the right of it. A large Rudy Bachman Croton sits near the bottom of a Big-Leaf Seagrape, Coccoloba rugosa.

2008-01-16_13-10-26.jpg

- Not far from our booth was the large island display being put together for DeLeon's Bromeliads, Inc. #620. Some of the giant booths had been worked on since Monday, and yet still needed some finishing touches.

2008-01-16_13-16-22.jpg

- I was not exactly sure what they were selling or promoting in this booth, but the inverted palm stump cought my attention.

2008-01-16_13-46-24.jpg

- 2:01PM: The last photo from Wednesday shows one of the newer plants from Agri-Starts, Inc. #2427. It is a pepper, Piper magnificum and it was a very nice looking plant. They had none in production at the moment, but were less than a year away from putting it into tissue culture. The leaves were nice and large, glossy green with a purple underside.

2008-01-16_14-01-04.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Great photos Ryan! I can't wait to see the rest!!! By the way, how old is that Carpoxylon??

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Dave,

If I may, I can maybe answer your question for you. :D  The Carpoxylon "Elegant Palm" is about 5 years old from a seedling I think, and this one is 12' tall. A few people during the show questioned us if this was a Royal palm or not.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Stinkin plants :P  Where are all the tractors and the machines that fill the containers with soil?!?!!  

:laugh:

Ryan, as usual I am sitting waiting for you to show the next photo!  The anticipation is a killer!

That Carpoxylon is awesome looking!  

I keep hearing that the Carpoxylon will eventually be like the foxtail (rare at first and expensive, then ten years later you can't give them away).  But, I haven't seen them yet.  What an awesome looking palm.

Nice photos, as usual, and nice display--perfect centerpiece.  Best wishes to the nursery industry.  

Our balmy, showery weather has a Satakentia opening a new leaf in the back yard.  Not to mention that Dypsis saintelucei is looking pleased with itself.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

PiousPalms · Posted on Jan. 22 2008,19:32

Stinkin plants :P  Where are all the tractors and the machines that fill the containers with soil?!?!!  

I looked throughout the show, and didn't notice any new potting or nursery machinery that was not in the show last year. The familiar companies were there so I didn't photograph the same machinery.

Ryan

South Florida

In between having a bad cough for a while, (icky medicine) and certain last minute prep work for the booth, I was unable to post photos after each day. I just had to remember the details a bit longer.

- Thursday, Jan. 17th, 8:55AM: The classic South Florida traffic lived up to its reputation as it kept us from getting to the convention center at an early time. Jeff, Andrea and I did luck out and got a parking spot in the 'secret' lot. We walked around for a short while before having to get the booth ready for attendees. The first photo of the day captured the Carpoxylon macrospermum posing with its spotlight and compliment of decorative plants. Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. went ahead and entered the species as a New Plant for TPIE this year, to formally introduce the palm to the industry.

2008-01-17_08-55-34.jpg

- Palms were not the only plants to get the spotlight this show. A pair of Big-Leaf Sea Grapes, Coccoloba rugosa, spanned the booth on both sides and became one of the most talked about show plants of all time. The crinkled, heavy leaves caught the eye of both industry professionals and plant aficionados alike. The plant also goes by the names of Ortegon and Red-Flowering Sea Grape.

2008-01-17_08-56-06.jpg

- 8:56AM: A wider shot, showing the entire crown of one of the two Coccoloba rugosa specimens. We should have collected fees from people who felt up the leaves. I think some thought the plant was fake and grabbed it too hard, putting a hole in one leaf.

2008-01-17_08-56-18.jpg

- The booth was ready. All the details were in place, all the brochures got stuffed and the plants got a misting of water to add to the rainforest feel. A crowd of stampeding attendees running to the booth would be nice, but that has never happened.

2008-01-17_08-56-42.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

There's a good looking Rudy Bachman in there too!!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

- 8:59AM: The view the attendees see as they enter the booth for the first time. Minus the smiling faces behind the table or course.

2008-01-17_08-59-02.jpg

- 9:46AM: The show was near the one hour mark at this point and the foot traffic was a bit slow for where we were. This is not surprising as Thursday is usually the slowest of all three days. Many attendees follow the main 'half-box' path around the middle of the auditorium before reaching the outlying sections. Over the years, I have also noticed that the attendees will move in waves from one area to another. I use the lull in action to get some all important portraits. Jeff & Andrea Searle pose near the front of the booth.

2008-01-17_09-46-40.jpg

- 10:26AM: The first of many familiar faces to appear during the day, belonged to veteran grower and flowering tree guru Richard Lyons of Richard Lyons Nursery, Inc. Jeff and Andrea spent some time trying to convince Richard to attend the 2008 Biennial in Costa Rica. I think they might have been successful. I believe he would need to hurry up and register before it fills up though.

2008-01-17_10-26-06.jpg

- 10:44AM: Even though the main reason behind TPIE is to promote tropical plants, it also serves as a social event for many in the industry to see friends they might not have seen in some time. This holds true for just about everyone, including myself. They might have the same jokes or wry humor, but you still give up a laugh or two.

2008-01-17_10-44-40.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

The Coccoloba Rugosa really stands out among all the palms. Really nice contrast in texture visually.

In the last picture-- is that an Amherstia Nobilis just above Andrea?

Can't wait for the rest of the pictures.  

Always love your coverage of these events Ryan!

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Gbarce · Posted on Jan. 24 2008,10:10

...In the last picture-- is that an Amherstia Nobilis just above Andrea?...

Hey Gene, thats a Brownea grandiceps with a smaller than average flower. It got some attention, but not as much as the Coccoloba rugosa did.

Ryan

South Florida

Wasn't there a small Ficus dammaropsis next to the Coccoloba?, (the one next to the table not in front) ?

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

- 10:56AM: By this time, the activity had seemed to pick up a bit in our area of the auditorium. I believe our proximity to the bathrooms might have helped a little. That morning coffee seems to kick in right at the same time. Not a moment went by without someone delivering a comment while fondling one of our Coccoloba rugosa specimens. My favorite was:

"Hey hun, come see, they have fake plants here too."

After a brief correction on my part they continued with the "Ooh's and Ahh's".

2008-01-17_10-56-00.jpg

- 11:51AM: Before lunchtime came, I decided to take a closer look at some of our neighbors at the show. They were all the same from last year and this was the second show in a row with the new arrangement. Immediately to our right, or north of us, was Sorenson Greenhouses, Inc. #635. They are a 16 acre glasshouse container nursery in Ontario, Canada. They didn't complain about the time of the year the show was either. They specialize in the retail supply of cactus and succulents.

2008-01-17_11-51-54.jpg

- The display held only a small amount of the total number of varieties they grow and sell. The majorities of the plants are grown as 4 inch individuals and are prepped with foil or plastic sleeves before they are shipped out in trays. In the back on the left, some of the specialty grown larger plants can be seen.

2008-01-17_11-52-14.jpg

- They supply mostly large chain stores and garden centers and provide the displays if needed. I notice their plants along with their displays in some retail outlets around South Florida.

2008-01-17_11-52-38.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:04PM: Those of you who rode the "Green Bus" during the 2006 Biennial in the Dominican Republic should be able to recognize the gentleman on the right. He is Paul Richnow, landscape designer and plantsman from the island of Nevis in the Caribbean. He had a few interesting adventures and situations during the biennial, but that’s another story. He usually attends TPIE to showcase certain plants to high-end clients and to see what is new.

2008-01-17_12-04-28.jpg

- 12:15PM: Another one of our neighbors, Dorothy Biddle Service, #3031 receives a booth full of attendees just around lunchtime. They are out of Greenley, PA and they mentioned it was 0 degrees F when they left to come down here.

2008-01-17_12-15-00.jpg

- 1:20PM: To our immediate left, our neighbor to the south is the rather colorful booth belonging to Zoe's Tropicals, Inc., #837. They had an array of large flowering, grafted, cultivar Hibiscus, including this one dark individual.

2008-01-17_13-20-50.jpg

- Further into their booth, towards the center, was this 3 gallon assortment. The flowers were all shapes, sizes and colors.

2008-01-17_13-21-42.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Wow...A grown up Carpoxylon is really eye candy...

Thanks for the pics again Ryan. How old do you expect these palms to start fruiting? My seedlings here are doing great and I only wish they can get this awesome in a couple years ahead...

Congrats also for Jeff's showy display. Is that a Caryota gigas leaf in the background?

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

PiousPalms · Posted on Jan. 24 2008,16:45

Beauties!  Those hibiscus look plastic!  They are so shiny and vivd...  Do they wax the leaves or something?

They had a light coating of leaf shine on them to make them look like that. The plants were also "juiced" a bit before the show I imagine, to make them bloom heavily and show thick leaves. It's a common practice at shows in general.

Gileno Machado · Posted on Jan. 24 2008,17:01

Wow...A grown up Carpoxylon is really eye candy...

Thanks for the pics again Ryan. How old do you expect these palms to start fruiting? My seedlings here are doing great and I only wish they can get this awesome in a couple years ahead...

Congrats also for Jeff's showy display. Is that a Caryota gigas leaf in the background?

When the first Carpoxylon will fruit here in South Florida is anyone's guess. I am sure when it happens it will be posted on the Forum. That leaf belongs to a Caryota no. It also got some attention as palm people would spot it from the main aisle and come over to investigate.

Ryan

South Florida

Eric in Orlando · Posted on Jan. 24 2008,15:32

Wasn't there a small Ficus dammaropsis next to the Coccoloba?, (the one next to the table not in front) ?

I knew it was a Ficus of some kind, I will have to check to which species it was.

- 1:22PM: With all the Hibiscus to pick from, this particularly dark red one caught my eye. It was a good 10 to 11 inches (25-28cm) across and had a white powdered coloration mixed in with the red.

2008-01-17_13-22-44.jpg

- Their booth attracted quite a few people who came in to take a closer look. The entire booth was for sale, so someone could get a spread of nice Hibiscus for a great price. This brings up a good point about TPIE; it can be an awesome place to do some shopping. You can buy an entire booth at an incredible discount or just one small item. Not only can you get plants or products at wholesale, but often the price will be even cheaper. The less stuff an exhibitor has to haul back the better. Sometimes you might even get a sample for free. I got a pair of Felco cutters one year free of charge. Some booths are pre-bought year after year, so you need to ask first. There were some things I tried to get but were either sold already or not for sale. When you buy an item, you have to wait until 3:00 PM on Saturday to remove it from the booth. They are real strict about this, so you have to remember to go back and get everything you bought.

2008-01-17_13-24-58.jpg

- 1:31PM: More people had arrived at the booth, so I decided to take a stroll around the show. Not too far away from our booth was the one belonging to Botanics Wholesale, #535. They had a nice batch of large plants pushed together in a relatively small booth. It came out nicely. Near the front of their booth was this beefy Old Man Palm, Coccothrinax crinita.

2008-01-17_13-31-36.jpg

- A favorite of temperate palm collectors everywhere, the cerifera variety of Chamaerops humilis. The name has been changed to var. argentea, but I am sure the old name will be around for some while.

2008-01-17_13-32-18.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Oh my god.... Everything looks unbelievable.. I can't believe I missed it for the second year... I have to get there next year....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE