IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus princeps seeds and seedlings

garrytsen

2.5 months after we collected Trachycarpus princeps seeds , few of our Trachycarpus princeps seeds begin to germinate yesterday and we put them in the pot with peastmoss ,sand and clay. We have a warm winter here of about 10-20 C  in average and so T.princeps may not  need a cold treatment for germination as we previously thought.

Our fully original seedlings which we took from the source still have 2 leaves after 1 year's growth. They are growing such slow. They seem to stand still for a whole year without growth.

2008114164223837.jpg2008114164418663.jpg

2007111763055633.jpg20071116225523637.jpg

Dear Garry  :)

Great effort and you certainly have lots of patience.and the visuals were fentastic..!

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 11 months later...
Dear Garry  :)

Great effort and you certainly have lots of patience.and the visuals were fentastic..!

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

Kris, there is no better way to accelerate the germination of T.princeps seeds, but just wait before they sprout naturally.Still, 1 year is past, around 10-15% of the few seeds germinate gradually .This is one of the hardest seeds to germinate I have ever seen.

This problem explains why they are so rare and What is even worse, they are more susceptible to rot and fungus attack as compared to other trachycarpus variaties like Chusan and Tesan,etc.

Any other got the same experience ?

Trachycarpus_princeps_from_China_Gardening_Nursery.JPG

Trachycarpus_princeps_from_China_Gardening_Nursery.JPG

i dont have much trouble with rot with my princeps palms. only this winter i have my first princeps with budrot and i think it is caused because i protected it with a fleece and a pot above. i think i did not give it enough aeration :(. last winter this one was not protected and had no damage at all and that winter was much wetter...my other, smaller, princeps in the garden are still fine. they are also quite frost hardy, while my manipur shows frost damage non of my princeps shows any sign of frost damage...

here they are not slow growers!

first picture is a princeps seedling, januari 07. second picture is the same one, september 08

post-2909-1231863520_thumb.jpg

post-2909-1231863595_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I got some seed about 12 months ago which I split into two pots. One lot was placed in the shadehouse and the other inside my house at room temperature. The shadehouse batch are germinating (20% so far but more coming). No movement thus far in the other pot. I don't wish to teach the old hands to suck eggs but my practice now in the absence of reliable information is to split seeds into two or three batches and try different conditions as it can make the difference between 0% and 100% germination.

Where did you get the seeds?

(Any of you?)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Any of you?)

I bought 100 seeds from RPS last January. I only have 2 sprouted, but they are still good to germinate. I think the consensus is that T. princeps need more heat than the other Trachycarpus species.

This is one of the hardest seeds to germinate I have ever seen.

This problem explains why they are so rare and What is even worse, they are more susceptible to rot and fungus attack as compared to other trachycarpus variaties like Chusan and Tesan,etc

Seeing spectacular pictures of them on cliffsides in habitat, it makes you wonder if they need excellent drainage! Do you know if any have been found in habitat not growing on steep hills or cliffs?

Also, Garry: 你知不知道,在中国有没有讨论棕闾的论坛?那会很有意思学到中国人殖棕的经验。

[Do you know if there are any forums for discussing palms in China? It would be very interesting to learn about Chinese experiences growing palms.]

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

This is one of the hardest seeds to germinate I have ever seen.

This problem explains why they are so rare and What is even worse, they are more susceptible to rot and fungus attack as compared to other trachycarpus variaties like Chusan and Tesan,etc

Seeing spectacular pictures of them on cliffsides in habitat, it makes you wonder if they need excellent drainage! Do you know if any have been found in habitat not growing on steep hills or cliffs?

Also, Garry: 你知不知道,在中国有没有讨论棕闾的论坛?那会很有意思学到中国人殖棕的经验。

[Do you know if there are any forums for discussing palms in China? It would be very interesting to learn about Chinese experiences growing palms.]

As I noticed that , T.princeps seedlings are susceptible to rot and fungus attack which normally cuase their death as compared to other trachycarpus varieties.I have not yet seen any real wild T.princeps not growing on the steep cliffs , but 1-2 transplanted by a farmer.I think that in some way explains why they are so fragile to humidity-related rot.Plus, their roots are not so well-developed as their couterparts. No palm forums is available in China .

(Any of you?)

From Ruud Meeldijk, Golden Lotus. Seedlings

I ordered some seeds from Ruud in 2007. About 1/3 of the seeds germinated the first year and another third germinated the second year after cold stratification naturally outside. I think cold is important for germination.

I have found T. princeps needs good drainage. I have one in a pot that evidently had bad drainage. Half of the roots on one side of the plant died, and the plant is leaning over with good roots on the other side. The problem has been corrected, and I will get root stimulator on this palm in the spring and summer. It's not dead by any means. When planting princeps, it may be a good idea to plant on a mound/berm and place a rock next to the plant to wick up excessive moisture.

I have found the seedlings to be very slow the first year but then accelerate rapidly afterwards.

DSCN0379_67.jpg

DSCN0363_33.jpg

Edited by austinl01
  • Upvote 1

Austin

Little Rock, Arkansas

Zone 7b/8a

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty photos and nice plants ,Austin. Thank for sharing your experience of sprouting and growing T.princeps with palm lovers here.

Good news is that some of our T.princeps seeds got some more germinated right now. It is 65 out of 186 now after 1.5 years. I hope more will enjoy to post photos and share their experience so that we will learn something from it.

Tprincep.jpg

Last year we have buy with a big group some real princeps seeds from Ruud Meeldijk. So far a couple has germinated, but i also have got a bigger one. Next spring it will be planted somewhere in the garden... :) On the picture looks everything only green, but the back of the leafes are defitnely how a leaf from a princeps would be.

PICT0071-1.jpg

Southwest

nice princeps Robbin.

IMO this is one of the finest 'new' palms that can be grown in colder climates...they are becoming commen around here and soon there wil be some magnificent specimens in gardens across northern europe B)...

not only it's a very beautifull palm it also shows good hardines to temperatures around -10°C/-15°C...

Pretty photos and nice plants ,Austin. Thank for sharing your experience of sprouting and growing T.princeps with palm lovers here.

Good news is that some of our T.princeps seeds got some more germinated right now. It is 65 out of 186 now after 1.5 years. I hope more will enjoy to post photos and share their experience so that we will learn something from it.

What kind of soil do you use to germinate the seeds? It looks like a sandy soil?

Robbin

Southwest

nice princeps Robbin.

Thanks Kristof, I hope the mine would be the same as yours in a few years :)

Robbin

Southwest

I protected mine too much and smothered it. :(

If anyone can part with a baby seedling, pm me. :mrlooney:

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

What kind of soil do you use to germinate the seeds? It looks like a sandy soil?

Robbin

Yes we use sandy soil to sprout the seeds. But treat it with some pesticide and fungicide as to make a clean and well drained growing medium.

Garry

Thanks for the answer :)

One night in water and the seed started germinating !

It is sensational ! Trachycarpus princeps ( cultivated)

source : China coldplant.com

http://magnoliagarden.ma.funpic.de/pics/20...20/P1030191.JPG

Best wishes ,

Jost

The same turbo germinating with Trachycarpus fortunei Winsan

http://magnoliagarden.ma.funpic.de/pics/20...10/P1030365.JPG

Best wishes ,

Jost

Jost Z7b Tecklenburger Land

post-3214-1234476609_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

I have sow 70 seeds last summer, and so far i've got only 4 seedlings from that batch. But i'm still waiting because i've some positive experience with germinate seeds from several palm species after a colder period. :)

Robbin

Southwest

• 2 weeks later...

Garry

I received the 20 princeps and 50 princeps -green seeds you sent last month. 38 princeps-green seeds have germinated within 3 weeks and the rest are still germinating. I have never had such good gemination with trachys. Unblievable.

The 20 princeps seeds which you said were collected late 2007 have 5 germinated so far. But the new seeds you said from late last year have not. I am crossing my fingers while waiting for them to sprout.

• Upvote 1