IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Tour of Sunken Gardens

Robert Lee Riffle

This is one of the oldest and most beautiful gardens in the northern half of the peninsula of Florida.  Has many old and fine specimens of not only palms but tree ferns (Cyathea cooperi) and other tropical subjects, including flowering trees.

Rick Nale is the director of Gisella Kopsick Palmetum/Arboretum in St. Pete.

Starts at 11:30 a.m.

I didn't know this was planned.  Thanks for the info..  For some reason, it sounds better if you refer to the garden as one in the southern half of the peninsula.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray, I think technically it's in the nawthrin half.  However, it is so tropical in climate and appearance that it looks almost like it's in Broward or Dade County.

I agree.  If only there was more room to plant.

Ray

Sounds like a good event.  I am going to try and attend this one.  I am always looking for a good excuse to visit Sunken Gardens even though it reminds me  that I need to move about 20 miles south east.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(Ray @ Tampa,Jun. 26 2006,16:06)

I didn't know this was planned.  Thanks for the info..  For some reason, it sounds better if you refer to the garden as one in the southern half of the peninsula.

RLR said,

Ray, I think technically it's in the nawthrin half.  However, it is so tropical in climate and appearance that it looks almost like it's in Broward or Dade County.

Hm, "southern" sounds better to my ears, too  :D

Really looking forward to the SG tour - hope you all can make it, and Rick's GKPA tour afterward.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

• 3 weeks later...

How was it?  Who went?

(Ray @ Tampa,Jul. 17 2006,08:32)

How was it?  Who went?

There were a number of people - the event was mentioned in the Times - but the only other forum members I know of were Jeffrey from Apollo Beach and Rick Nale himself.

He did a great job and the Garden is beautiful - so glad we went.  There were some wonderful aroids mixed in with the palms.  The size of some of those palms!  And so old.  The royals and archontos were awesome, and huge old dypsis lutescens as well.

Hope you can get over there soon - a terrific place.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Sunny,

SG and Cypress Gardens are the most revered gardens in central Florida.  I enjoy the historical perspective almost as much as the plants themselves.

Ray