IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best Sources of Palms & Seeds Worldwide

Diane Kirkland

(tropicalb @ Aug. 24 2006,10:57)

I would nominate the following:

for palms, Kevin Weaver:

http://www.palms4u2.com

for seeds, Eric Anderson:

http://www.seedcoseeds.com/

I was just at Kevins place on Weds night. He said I should stop by a visit sometime and NOT buy a palm!!!

I didn't ever ask about a website, I've recommended many folks to go. VERY reasonable prices. Same for Gary Woods place.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks Bill& Dean

You come and get some of the rarest palms on the earth from me. Then you turn around and recomend some one else. I will keep this in mind when you looking for something else. Ron

Rarepalmseeds.com is very good as a seed supplier.

As far as plants are concerned Rosebud Farm in Queensland is my preferred supplier, at www.rosebudfarmnursery.com

I've heard good things about Fronds too and am just about to make an order myself this week from Fronds.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

(neoflora @ Aug. 26 2006,01:46)

Thanks Bill& Dean

You come and get some of the rarest palms on the earth from me. Then you turn around and recomend some one else. I will keep this in mind when you looking for something else. Ron

Ron-

Diane was asking for website links. Do you have one? I'm sorry if I missed it.  I'm sure you've noted I mention you when I pick up a new "Mystery Palm"  :)

I just looked for a link, but couldn't find one. But, if its not obvious, Folks, a good amount of RARE (capitals intentional) Palms can be found at Ron Lawyers/Neoflora.

Sorry Ron , it was not meant as a slight on my part.

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

www.lundkvistpalmgarden.com

If you're still interested in including us, let me know what additional info you need.

Bo-Göran

Bo, I think the timing will work.  We'll see how I do at selling some changes.

Besides the traditional RPS and Ortanique, I've had good experience buying seeds from Trebrown UK, Borneo Palm seeds, Arecaceaes from Thailand (he posts here sometimes), etc.

Thank you Gileno; do you have URLs for the ones that aren't already posted?  Or addresses and phone numbers for nurseries without websites?

You come and get some of the rarest palms on the earth from me.

Ron/Neoflora, do you have a website?  If not, please give me the name, address and phone number of your nursery.  Thanks!

Diane

East of Seattle & Lake Washington

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Rarepalmseeds.com is very good as a seed supplier.  As far as plants are concerned Rosebud Farm in Queensland is my preferred supplier, at www.rosebudfarmnursery.com  

Thanks, Tyrone!  I'm getting quite a good list.  When I organize the information, I'll post it in the appropriate section for the benefit of members.  

Tropical Palm Traders in Mena Creek , ph. is

07 4065 3308  tropicanapalm@austar.com.au .

This is getting to be a great worldwide selection.  Btw, I love aroids -- Quite a few stinky ones grow in the Seattle area.  Several in my garden.  

Plant Delights

Zac, Plant Delights is on the list!

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

In South Florida, Jeff Searle is the owner of The Rainforestcollection. His actual nursery name is Searle Brothers Nursery and the Rainforestcollection.  He has a large selection of palms that are grown in some big shadehouses, as well as sun grown.

He has the largest selection of rare and unusual palms every year at the Fairchild Garden's sale and now for several years, he opens up to the public with a really big open house.

His web site is WWW.rainforestcollection.com

I never go to the Valley without going to Rivers End Nusery in Bayview, about 14 miles north of Brownsville.  Nice people, small yet diverse selection of palms and tropicals, great selectionof tropical fruit trees.  Only place in Texas that I know of wher you can buy a coconut palm.  They do mail order.

http://www.riversendnursery.com/home.asp

There are other nurseries in the Valley that I like to visit, both wholesale and retail, but I don't of any others that do mail order.

Odessa, TX  Z8a

NE edge Chihuahuan Desert

Alt 2800 ft

El Jardin de Quixote

Another guy with arguably the rarest palms out there is Mike Harris of Caribbean Palms. I admire him for going out and collecting seed from Cuban plants in habitat and starting from seed. I forget the address, but his business number is 561-792-0333 in Loxahatchee, Florida. Prices are reasonable given the size and rarity of the palms, and everything is properly labeled.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Let's not forget forum member Christian Faulkner's nursery in Venice, Fla. I've been there three times and puchased 30 or so palms. It's not a huge operation, but he's got quality plants and the collection is getting bigger every month. If you live in central or southwest Florida, it's definitely worth a trip. Good deals for forum members, too.

Punta Gorda, Fla.

26 53 N 82 02 W

on a large saltwater canal basin 1/2 mile from beautiful Charlotte Harbor 10A/10B microclimate (I hope)

(neoflora @ Aug. 26 2006,01:46)

Thanks Bill& Dean

Come on Ron. You know you are my favorite grower.

Diane specifically said at the beginning of this thread, "I need URLs with the names, please." She was checking out everyone's websites, so that's what I thought she was after. Otherwise, of course I would have mentioned you as numero uno for the rare stuff.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Thanks Bill& Dean

Be careful when you say the rarest palms on the earth Ron, as many people take offense to this.  You do have many rare ones though.  JD

Ciao!

The  following  are  nursery  where  I have  found  particular   palms  and  others( all  located  in  Europe)

http://www.dicksonia.com/index.php?id=404

Juania  australis  , Chamaerops  vulcano etc

http://www.tropicalcentre.com/

Traky princeps  &  huge  selection  of  Encephalartos.

Yuccas,  etc

http://www.palmeperpaket.de/

Is  german  site,  but  You can  order  with  mail  in  english    One  of  the  most bigger

http://www.palmaris.org/

I  bought  from  them  Juania australis

Phoenix  atlantica   and  more

Is French, but  order  could  be  made  in  english

For  seeds  only , there  are  many  sellers  

but  the  best  (IMO)is  the  american  company  ORTANIQUE

Ciao  Ciao  !!   M@x

M@x

North Rome Italy

Searle Brothers Nursery and the Rainforestcollection

Maskona, thanks.  RLR liked Jeff Searle's participation on this board and told me about the quality of his nursery stock.  Did you notice his web site mentions two sales a year to the public?  NOTHING would keep me away except possibly living in Seattle.   :(  

I had to fall on the floor and flap around a little after looking at the photos of Licuala elegans and L. ramsayi.

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Diane- Is this for the Pocket Guide? Please tell me you are going to finish that one.

Zac

Zac, I just noticed this question.  RLR finished The Pocket Guide to Palms but hadn't had time to make the final changes or review.  Paul Craft, Scott Zona and Larry Noblick are doing the review that for us (all of us).

Bob's editor and I discussed a couple of the minor changes she'd suggested and she decided to leave that part alone.  The end result of that decision will just make the book more familiar, more Rifflelike, to those of you who read him over the years.  This is good.  Too often, too many books come out sounding like the editor instead of the author.

When I saw the list of nurseries to be included (not RLR's list, Timber's), I wanted to see what the board members here recommended.  

One nursery I'm going to recommend is Cistus Design for hardier palms -- are you familiar with them?  My friends, Sean Hogan and Parker Sanderson, started this nursery near Portland OR.  They grow a lot of plants from seed collected at higher elevations -- including palms.  (My friend, Parker, died in May at age 45 of sleep apnea.)

About 10 years ago on a visit to Portland for a Hortisexual party (the "uncontrolled lust for plants"  group started in the Bay Area), Sean took me on a 4-hour ride around Portland showing me every palm growing of any age and told me genus, species and age.  It was so long ago that cells phone calls were very expensive; when I got home, the description to RLR took about 4 hours!  

(Sean has a beautiful photo of Dasylirion longissimum in The Tropical Look, Plate 160.)

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Mike Harris of Caribbean Palms. I admire him for going out and collecting seed from Cuban plants in habitat and starting from seed. I forget the address, but his business number is 561-792-0333 in Loxahatchee, Florida.

Christian, thanks.  I can't find a web site but I did find favorable comments about his nursery stock on the Internet.  With a phone number, I can get the address.

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Let's not forget forum member Christian Faulkner's nursery in Venice, Fla

Gordon, got Christian a little earlier in the thread but it's always nice to give a contributing member to the board some extra publicity.   :)   Thanks!

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

M@x, thanks -- I had some fun looking at those sites -- especially a site with "dicksonia" in the name.  (Did you see their Xanthorrhoea glauca in flower?  We grow Xanthorrhoea here, Seattle area,  but I haven't seen it bloom.)

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

(Diane Kirkland @ Aug. 29 2006,07:30)

Diane- Is this for the Pocket Guide? Please tell me you are going to finish that one.

Zac

Zac, I just noticed this question.  RLR finished The Pocket Guide to Palms but hadn't had time to make the final changes or review.  Paul Craft, Scott Zona and Larry Noblick are doing the review that for us (all of us).

Bob's editor and I discussed a couple of the minor changes she'd suggested and she decided to leave that part alone.  The end result of that decision will just make the book more familiar, more Rifflelike, to those of you who read him over the years.  This is good.  Too often, too many books come out sounding like the editor instead of the author.

When I saw the list of nurseries to be included (not RLR's list, Timber's), I wanted to see what the board members here recommended.  

One nursery I'm going to recommend is Cistus Design for hardier palms -- are you familiar with them?  My friends, Sean Hogan and Parker Sanderson, started this nursery near Portland OR.  They grow a lot of plants from seed collected at higher elevations -- including palms.  (My friend, Parker, died in May at age 45 of sleep apnea.)

About 10 years ago on a visit to Portland for a Hortisexual party (the "uncontrolled lust for plants"  group started in the Bay Area), Sean took me on a 4-hour ride around Portland showing me every palm growing of any age and told me genus, species and age.  It was so long ago that cells phone calls were very expensive; when I got home, the description to RLR took about 4 hours!  

(Sean has a beautiful photo of Dasylirion longissimum in The Tropical Look, Plate 160.)

Diane- I have heard of Cistus but I have never ordered from them. I had also heard of Parker's death through Tony Avent's Nursery Updates email. We also lost Rob Gardner, of NC Botanical Garden fame, who was known for his work on Pitcher Plant breeding (with Dr Larry Mellichamp of UNC-Charlotte), as well as naming a few Baptisia hybrids such as Baptisia 'Carolina moonlight' and "Purple Smoke'.

I am glad it will be Rifflesque. I know Richard sent Bob some pics for the book, as that was one thing that he was asking for while I was with Richard last Summer.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

http://www.ecuadorexplorer.com/guaycuyacu/fruits_1.html

Here is another source. They sell some palm seeds, as well as other tropical seeds, including a number of Theobroma species.

Also, I thought I would mention Ian Barclay's Nursery, http://www.angelfire.com/bc/eucalyptus/desertnorthwest/

He sells palm seeds he collects himself, as well as other unusual plants. I think he plans to have more palms in the future. Plus, he's just starting out, so this could help him out some.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

A glaring omission is www.gardenpalms.com , Hollands ( and probably northern europe) largest grower and importer of hardy palms.

It is largely wholesale , but the owner does do retail and is open on saturdays to anybody who wants to visit.

Currently on site is one of the largest Butyagrus you can ever see, large Butia yatays and Trithrinax campestris ,thousands of smaller Butias ,Trachycarpus, Braheas, etc etc of all species in all sizes down to a huge range of hardy seedlings for those on a small budget.

Its also the european outlet for Tims Butyagrus where anybody can walk in and buy one.

A must visit venue for anybody in mainland Europe wanting to buy good quality palms at low prices ,even if you dont buy its worth a visit to see the showgarden and huge palms on site.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Wal, is there any body in Australia who will ship seedlings to europe, without the heavy charges?

To All

There a good place in spain caleed Pulsar, and Alea Hills

Garden Center Altea Hills

&

Jardinería y Servicios Altea

Av Jaume I, 1 - 1º

03590 ALTEA

Alicante - España / Spain

Tel: 34 - 96 584 2023

Fax: 34 - 96 688 0436

jardineria.altea@wanadoo.es

Faulkners Palms is very good, and friendly help too.

www.faulknerspalms.com/

Christian Faulkner

Faulkner's Palms

1015 River Oaks Court

Venice, FL, 34293 USA

tel: (001) 941 726 0524

email: cfkingfish@gmail.com

Well,  I'm gonna put up Ron Lawyers contact info of Neoflora because he has palms too unique to pass up.

Ron Lawyer

2 locations , 1 in Oceanside, CA.  the other near to his house in San Clemente, CA.

Phone numbers 1-949-235-6187, 1-949-498-6187

by appointment only

Bill

Diane,

and from madagascar: madagascan flora

email: mgnflora@wanadoo.mg

Alfred Razafindratsiry has about 100 varieties of malagasy palms, plus plenty of unknowns... He sends seeds even if it is very difficult for him to have authorizations every shipment!

No website yet. He is thinking of making one. bruno

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Wal, is there any body in Australia who will ship seedlings to europe, without the heavy charges?

I wouldn't know Gary, heavy charges are relative to the desire for palms. For example, Lemurophoenix are rare as hen's teeth here, but I can get/buy them if I want to pay the 'heavy charges'. I don't by the way, fortunately there 3000 other palms out there to find.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

There are other UK sites/suppliers that could be added.  I think Nigel's site Hardy Palms has already been mentioned, as has Phil's site Trebrown Nursery.  Here are a few more.

Amulree Exotics

Big Plant Nursery

Dave's Palm Pages

Mulu

The Palm Centre

Trevena Cross Nursery

Also worthy of mention:

Los Gatos Plants  Cycads only.

There are others, but after a recent PC incident, I need to replenish my bookmarks/favourites.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa