IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best Sources of Palms & Seeds Worldwide

Diane Kirkland

If you were writing a palm book and wanted to include the gold-standard in sources of palms and/or seeds, which nurseries would you list?  I need URLs with the names, please.  

If you've had a negative experience with a suggested source, please send me a PM so it doesn't disrupt the thread (or me -- I've had my limit of disruptions this month!).  

Thanks all.

D.

Diane

East of Seattle & Lake Washington

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Thanks, Jack -- they look like good sites.

D.

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Over time, I've bought a lot from:

Floribunda Palms

Kapopho palms  (url = http://www.growpalms.com/)

Kapoho uses "cones" to raise small plants in which makes them easier to ship, and easier to keep when you get them if you can't plant them right away.

Floribunda is less expensive, and I find that the "cones" used by Kapoho tend to be a bit cumbersome if you're working with a lot of plants.

I've been very satisfied with both, and I keep their current availabilities at my fingertips.

I also recommend Gary Wood's nursery, South Coast Palms in Fallbrook.  

South Coast Palms List

SCP's material is all "hard grown" outdoors, mostly, which means you won't get the shrink tropical or greenhouse grown plants suffer.  ALso, Gary raises a lot of plants from seed obtained from plants on his own property, so they're reasonable in price.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks Dave.  I have trouble remembering where I live when I read those plant lists.

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Is this another post confined to USA ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Is this another post confined to USA ?

The name of the thread is "Best Sources of Palms & Seeds Worldwide"

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Yes of course, pardon me.

Here's two for South East Queensland, Australia.

Palms for Brisbane

Utopia Palms and Cycads

Here's one for Northern Territory, Australia

Young palms . No web site but I sought out the best palm spots when I was there this year and these guys were stand outs for price and product.

Arnhem Nursery

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thank you -- the Palms for Brisbane site looks great.

Do you have access to a complete address and phone number for the Arnhem Nursery?

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Thanks, Steve; good site. I'm having a laugh because I was looking at the minimum temperature page getting more and more excited until I realized they were listing the palm and then had a dash and then the minimum temp.  I was reading the dash as "minus."

Licuala spinosa - 28°F

Reality has returned.   :>

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Hello Diane

I guess this would be a proper place to include my nursery for a not so discrete plug.

It is called Vivero La Vida we are by far the best place to buy palms in the Baja Peninsula of Mexico.We are located on the southern tip of Baja California sur Mexico in a town called Todos Santos.  We are relatively young with about 7 years under our belts but we make up for that with the other numbers,currently we grow over 100  species and counting with about 20,000 plants from seedlings to 15 gal.  Plus we have 5 acres that we are planting out our excess stock into.

By the way Rarepalmseeds.com and ortanique are definately the best seed sources.

Thanks

oscar

Thanks Oscar -- I'll have to look at a map, it sounds as though you're sort of close to where some friends are buying houses but I can't remember the names of the towns.

Please give me the nursery's complete address and phone number and if you have a web site, the url.  

Your inventory sounds impressive.  I have several friends in the nursery business; it's hard work, but 7 years is a fantastic start.  

(Thanks for the comments on the seed sources, too.)

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

(Diane Kirkland @ Aug. 24 2006,14:00)

Thank you -- the Palms for Brisbane site looks great.

Do you have access to a complete address and phone number for the Arnhem Nursery?

Arnhem Nursery

Address: 35 Arnhem Hwy Humpty Doo NT 0836

Phone: (08) 8988 1351

They have an email address but I can't seem to find it. I rang them and one of the staff there will get the boss to email me so I can have it saved.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Gosh, what about junglemusic.net?

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Arnhem Nursery

Address: 35 Arnhem Hwy Humpty Doo NT 0836

Phone: (08) 8988 1351

They have an email address but I can't seem to find it.

An email address would be excellent.  I have a little time to compile the list.  Thanks again.

Gosh, what about junglemusic.net?

Thanks for the mention, Patrick.  I didn't want to prompt anyone, but I do have them on my list because of friends' good experiences in finding palms there.

I'm enjoying looking at all these nursery sites!

D.

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Wal:

HIghway Humpty Doo?

:P

Wanna know more, maybe in a new thread . . . .

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Dypsisdean @ Aug. 24 2006,02:00)

Diane,

Don't forget:

http://www.jdandersen.com/

Egad!

I omitted, too.  Never any mail order, but got a lot.

dave

Dean, J.D. Anderson is on the list.  What a beautiful set of photos on their home page!  Thanks.

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

I can recommend European based ones:

Hardy Palms

Europalms

and one from Florida:

Faulkner's Palms

I think these three are growers, not businessmen, if you get what I mean ;-)

Cheers, Jan

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

Thank you, Jan.  For obvious (Seattle) reasons, I spent quite a bit of time on the Hardy Palms and Europalms sites.  I'm beginning to think the little runt I have in a pot is a Butia paraguayensi and not a B. capitata.  RLR told me I should put it into the ground but I was afraid our moss would be taller!  

Since I try to stay away from threads selling palms in Florida (I'll try anything that sounds like it might make it, even in my living room), I didn't realize Christian owned Faulkner's Palms.  What a great site and a nice collection.  

Some of my closest friends own nurseries and grow stock from seed.  Two collect their own (with permission) -- Sean Hogan who grows palms in Oregon and Dan Hinkley (former owner of Heronswood Nursery) doesn't.  You're right about the ones who are growers rather than businessmen.  The passion benefits all of us with the interesting variety of plants, but it's hard to get rich growing plants from seed.

Thanks!

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Thanks, Tully.  My link to Equatorial Exotics didn't work but I found them.  While looking, I saw some nice comments about them on Google.  

I can't tell from their site if they're mail order only.  Can you find an address and phone number for me?  

My link to Fronds didn't work either for some reason.  If you can tell me a little more about that one, I can probably find it.

D.

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Fronds up near Kuranda is very good , tried to post links but did not work .. fronds.com.au

Equatorial Exotics in Cairns has some excellent stuff

equatorialexotics.com , not only palms

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Tully, I got Fronds from the info you just gave me.  They say they are wholesale -- will they sell single plants to individuals or is it only in larger quantities?  

Thanks!

D.

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

www.thaipalmseeds.com

Thanks David.  This is very difficult for me.  I've already been (since you posted it) on their web site and clicking around the licuala seeds, wondering if they'd get spider mites in my living room.   :>  

Latitude 47 can be tough!

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

The Anderson Seed Co. is a good site.  Thanks.

For the Weaver site, http://www.palms4u2.com, I can't find an address or phone number.  Is it there or do you have it?  

Thanks!

D.

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

phone number for KW Palms and Cycads is (951) 526-5542

by appointment only (it's their home) - Lake Elsinore, inland Southern California

I've heard good things about Teakettle Enterprises - a seed supplier located in Belize; I haven't tried them out yet, though

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Thanks -- I wouldn't publish my home / nursery address either.  I understand now.  D.

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Zac, thanks!  Gary's Nursery has a neat shot from overhead that gives a good view of the property and inventory.  

I notice The Palm Centre advertises Licuala grandis as an indoor palm.  I wonder if it really works out?  

On a slight thread drift, I think I'm going to be able to stick those Euphorbia stygiana seeds in the mail to you tomorrow.  I also have seeds from a Fargesia nitida that bloomed quite beautifully for me right after a friend gave me a nice big plant.  ???   It's a beautiful bamboo and you're young enough to get some good-sized plants from it.  Interested?  

D.

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Diane,

Licuala grandis can certainly be used indoors, but it's a very short term proposition! I tried it a few times when we lived in Poway, CA, but with a/c and heat indoors and the palm's requirements for high humidity it's on a steady downhill descent towards oblivion the moment you bring it into your home!

I've been reluctant to mention this, but we also do have a palm nursery. The reason I was relucant is twofold:

1) we're just in the early phase right now (I expect to be fully operational by late 2007, with enough of an inventory to begin advertising), and

2) we will only do local sales. No shipping off island.

As mentioned in a different thread earlier this month, our daughter is in the process of setting up our website:

www.lundkvistpalmgarden.com

If you're still interested in including us, let me know what additional info you need.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

There are many retail Palm outlets up here in tropical Australia , lots have no web site or email .

Here is one I have dealt with , excellent stock and very good prices .. Tropical Palm Traders in Mena Creek , ph. is

07 4065 3308  tropicanapalm@austar.com.au .

They are at the Mission Beach Monster Markets last Sunday of the month , I will buy some more palms next weekend , large Chambreyonias only Au$25 .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

(Diane Kirkland @ Aug. 24 2006,16:50)

Zac, thanks!  Gary's Nursery has a neat shot from overhead that gives a good view of the property and inventory.  

I notice The Palm Centre advertises Licuala grandis as an indoor palm.  I wonder if it really works out?  

On a slight thread drift, I think I'm going to be able to stick those Euphorbia stygiana seeds in the mail to you tomorrow.  I also have seeds from a Fargesia nitida that bloomed quite beautifully for me right after a friend gave me a nice big plant.  ???   It's a beautiful bamboo and you're young enough to get some good-sized plants from it.  Interested?  

D.

Diane- yes I would be interested in trying that Fargesia.

Gary's doesn't do mailorder, but I happen to know one can get his Trachycarpus fortunei Taylor Form via Plant Delights Nursery, who does do mail order. Tony sells palms, as well as other cool plants, so add him to that list.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Hi Diane:

Besides the traditional RPS and Ortanique, I've had good experience buying seeds from Trebrown UK, Borneo Palm seeds, Arecaceaes from Thailand (he posts here sometimes), etc.

My best results with palm seeds were from Kamipalms (Jason Cox) from OZ and Faulkner Palms (Christian CFKingfish) from Fla, but they are both actually my friends and we've been swapping gifts for a long time now. Many other people, from many different countries have sent me excellent fresh seeds (Spain, UK, Slovakia, Bolivia, Argentina, Thailand, Samoa, Australia (Victoria, West Aust. provinces), Canary Islands, South Africa, Puerto Rico, Dominican Rep, USA (California, Louisiana. Hawaii and Florida states)- Brazil (Amazonas, Pará, Rio Grande do Sul, Paraná, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Bahia, Paraíba, Goiás, Alagoas, Minas Gerais and Pernambuco states). Thanks to these collectors, most of whom I've met here here in Palmtalk, I've been busy with many new seedlings here lately. I guess that swapping fresh seeds is by far the best way to start a palm collection. Thank you Amigos...

post-157-1156523951_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

palmgrover has seen a L.grandis(i think) that has been grown indoors in socal for years...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.