IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

In what zone is your garden?

_Keith

In what zone is your garden?  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• Zone 6 and lower
    • Zone 7a
    • Zone 7b
    • Zone 8a
    • Zone 8b
    • Zone 9a
    • Zone 9b
    • Zone 10a
    • Zone 10b
    • Zone 11 and higher

This is just a quick fun poll to see how our palm lovers are distributed climatically.  (and yes, I know climatically is not a word)

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keep in mind there's a lot more to this than USDA Zones, but they're a good start.  

I'm in Zone 10b, I think.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 12 2008,00:32)

Keep in mind there's a lot more to this than USDA Zones, but they're a good start.  

I'm in Zone 10b, I think.

Yeah, for some folks it is a tough call.  I went with my official designation of 9a, even though we have been 9b for the last decade.  This is just a casual poll, so folks can put down whatever they "feel" is right.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Zone 9a- (the 1990 usda map shows 8b, 2006 arbor day map 9a).  Although a solid zone 9a/b over the last 10-15 years or so.

9b so far this year (27F)

Lovely topic  :)

And iam from south india and the climate is horribily warm,hot and hottest through out the year and i want to grow Caryphas,Cidps,copernicas,bismarkia's,Washy's,Cycas,yucoos,agaves,desert palms,queen palms(new fasination),jubeas,sabals,brehas armeta,med fan,lipstick palms,triangles,travellers palms,latania's,cocotrinax,datepalms,livistonia,etc..

believe me or not most of the palms listed above have be collected either they are in pots or as small saplings ! and the verdict seems to be that they love the place where i live..

temps are from 82F to 104F on average throughout the year.

only problem that i have is sudden rainfall in summer and the winter is also wet.so lots of fungus attach seen on hubiscus & desert palms ?

i think that i live in zone 10 to 11

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I'm in my own very personal zone - definitely higher than 11 :D

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(bgl @ Jan. 12 2008,02:25)

Hi Bo,  :)

I'm in that same sort area, Spoiled...... :laugh:  :laugh:

Cheers, Mikey.

P.S. Good Thread now we can see what others have as far as weather and whats normally growing in those Zones. :)

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

coastal Tas is 10 a but with a record low in Hobart of 27 9b ! when you get 25 km from coast it can be 8b in certain areas .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Coastal. 3 months zone 11 and 9 months higher than 11...

Kris, I think you live in zone 11 or higher ;-)

(Carlos Simón @ Jan. 12 2008,09:55)

Kris, I think you live in zone 11 or higher ;-)

Dear Carlos  :)

thanks for the information and you are right but here we speak our area as hot or warm their is no frost or snowfall ever.And i also at times feel as though iam living in some hot desert country but suddenly it will start to rain... :)

thanks & love to u,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Where I live is definitely zone 11  as the record low is 43. However, I can't say that Bermuda is on par with other zone 11+ places as our winters can be quite cool.  Some winters we even get a couple wet winter days that drop below 50F and the average mean temperatures in Jan- Mar are about 64-65 F. Although, in summer we don't get as hot as some of the more tropical places which admittedly is a good thing. So I can't necessarily say that the zone 11 tag will make my Crytostachys Renda look beautiful down here, but I will try and keep you all posted.

Take care,

Mike

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Yes Kris - rest assured your above USDA 11 and unlike any region in the US  :P tropical

USDA places me also in zone 11 but that's where any resemblance with Tropic of Cancer ends  :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I'm unzonable.

Melbourne's like that.

Someone want a shot?

Cheers,

Adam

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

Not too sure Adam, but I would be willing to say 10a more or less. here is a link that might help you out.

http://www.anbg.gov.au/hort.research/zones.html

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

9b, but so close to 10a it hurts. My average low for the past 9 years is 29.9F.

Odd how (at this point) the two most crowded zones are 10a and 11, with only one 10b. Much like how I've never met anyone who thinks they are 5'11". They all seem to be 6'0".

(I'm 6'0". Honest.)

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I think 10a and I'm 5, 11 3/4" :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I guess I get to be one of the artic palm lovers.  I am listed as 7a, but looking at the past 10-15 years, I am closer to 7b.  But at this point, doesn't really matter which.  I would love to live in a more tropical area, but then again, with living where I do, its always a challenge, and not many others around here are willing to try what I do...  Makes it alittle more interesting...

Cleveland.gif

I've been 9b for the past few years.  Unfortunately, that means no crownshafted palms without some considerable protection... ugh.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

I can't tell by looking at the maps, the scale is too small.  Either 10a, 10b, or 11.  Average winter lows here are above 40F, but I had lows of 29-32F a few nights in January 2007.  Anyone know?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

10a/b here in Huntington Beach.  I would say mostly 10b, but with the frost last Jan, it got to 33 degrees here.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I considered the mississippi gulfcoast 9a until the temperatures we experienced this january  19-22 for greater than 12 hours. my 7 year old adult queens got baked.

stephen lee

I have to go with 9B for here. It may technically be very low 10A looking over a 100 year period if the data were available, but with definite 9B (and lower) freezes every few years, it is 9B here for all practical purposes. And as my weaker 10A/B stuff dies off over the years, I will probably replant with palms that prove to be hardy to my yard, not necessarily to my USDA designated zone. Basically, my yard is big experiment at this time.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(krisachar @ Jan. 12 2008,02:13)

Lovely topic  :)

And iam from south india and the climate is horribily warm,hot and hottest through out the year and i want to grow Caryphas,Cidps,copernicas,bismarkia's,Washy's,Cycas,yucoos,agaves,desert palms,queen palms(new fasination),jubeas,sabals,brehas armeta,med fan,lipstick palms,triangles,travellers palms,latania's,cocotrinax,datepalms,livistonia,etc..

believe me or not most of the palms listed above have be collected either they are in pots or as small saplings ! and the verdict seems to be that they love the place where i live..

temps are from 82F to 104F on average throughout the year.

only problem that i have is sudden rainfall in summer and the winter is also wet.so lots of fungus attach seen on hubiscus & desert palms ?

i think that i live in zone 10 to 11

thanks & love,

Kris!

You're in 11, trust me, sir . . .

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Is there a zone above 11? At 3 degrees South Latitude and about 100 feet above sea level in the humid equatorial tropics it is hard to be more tropical ( I guess impossible is better than hard)  than where my garden is.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

The last 30 years our average yearly low is 15F/-9C.  The last 10 years its been 17.8F/-7.8C

Michael

Chihuahua desert

El Paso, Texas

Elevation 4000 ft

Annual rainfall 8.6 inches

Dry Z8b

(bgl @ Jan. 12 2008,02:25)

Bo, I guess you, Don and I as well as Al in Kona are at least in a 13   :D

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

I respectfully suggest the use of Sunset/zonal specifications rather than those promulgated by the USDA.Correspondingly,Sunset 25.Of course, after the recent Artic blast,and low temperatures in the 40's,all of the Jamaican Talls pictured in my Christmas Day Travel Log have been reduced to mush!

What you look for is what is looking

(Palm Guy @ Jan. 12 2008,11:00)

Not too sure Adam, but I would be willing to say 10a more or less. here is a link that might help you out.

http://www.anbg.gov.au/hort.research/zones.html

Thanks for the link.

OK, 10a it is. ???

Cheers,

Adam

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

coastal sub tropical, don't know much about zone numbers sorry.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I am in Zone X, out of the world, in the ocean. We are Subtropical Mediterranean Oceanic, and there is a long cool winter that is far from tropical, but there is no cold at all, so we are in the "upper zones", as long as zones are only defined by the absolute minimums.

Here in downtown Santa Cruz it never goes below 14 C (57 F), so I am well above Z 11, which includes anything above 4,5 C (40 F). Up on the hills where I grow my plants, is a bit colder, but never goes below 10 C (50 F) so it is still Z11. Further above is still zone 11 up to about 500 m asl, where a coconut would fry to death, probably on its first winter outdoors.

Kris, if I am in Zone X, you are in Zone Y  :laugh:  . The USDA Zones were developed for the United States and they make real sense just within the US, while they fail in other parts of the world. For example, they lack detail in the tropics because Zone 11 includes anything above 4,5 C (40 F) and there is no official definition of Zone 12, 13, 14 etc.

Another example is Mediterranean So.Europe which has comparatively high minimum temperatures at Northern latitudes, so it all gives 10a/10b but most of the year feels like a 9a/9b.

Carlo,You point out the issues created by USDA classifications quite well.In South Florida,where all sorts of tropical vegetation abounds,we are considered zone 10.The Koeppen classification recieves acceptance world wide and seems much more accurate.

I live in what I would describe as a Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde ZONE 13.We have never been below 64 degrees F. We get almost 80inches of rain from April to November and then not a drop from December to March.It is extreme.Not many palms are adapted for such drastic conditions.

Scott

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

If I understand the USDA plant hardiness zones they are not really climate zones but where plants will grow.  So, it is not to relavant to tropical parts of the world where climate varies greatly due to altitude and other factors, like Carlos mentions.  

Here is the Koeppen climate zone map.

climate_map-1.gif

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Dear Dave & Carlos  :)

thanks for the zone clarification,but i must say all the palms that were raised from seeds,that were imported from abroad simply love my climate,they are all growing like crazy but its very atrange that my washy filifera was doing great in our roof top terrace is not doing okay when planted in ground in our garden and my timming was wrong since i thought that its very nice for the palm to adjust to any transplanting shock ?

but to my surprise it started to rain heavily while i was away at my marriage function and when i returned back i found the entire central spear infested...

here is a still of my sick palm in ground... :(

f56aece7.jpg

Thanks & Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Although the USDA hardiness zone scheme is notoriously problematic, the Koppen Climate Classification system also has serious deficiencies.  For example, Washington, DC/ Louisville, KY/Atlanta, GA and Tampa/Orlando/Daytona Beach, FL are all categorized as having Humid Subtropical/Temperate climates.  I can assure you that the palms that can be grown in these places is very different.  Indeed, in my experience, their climates are unique, particularly from December to March, a critical time for gardens in the Northern Hemisphere.

George

USDA Zone 9a

Florida Climate Center Zone 9b

Palm Coast, FL 32137

I agree that all current Climate designations have serious issues and are certainly not applicable to truly tropical climates.I agree the issue open and shut should be "what grows" and beyond that what"florishes".The criteria chosen by the USDA simply ignores what they attempt to accompolish with their designation.For those in Medditerrean climates that fulfill the USDA zone 11 criteria,show me your Cytotachys renda(see pictures in thread below),your Tropical Almond's... etc.Then look me in the eye and tell me South Florida should be considered Zone 10.We need to devise an accurate sytem that works!

I'm classified as 7a, but I've definitely been a 7b for the past 5 years - maybe even bordering an 8a.. not sure, but it hasn't gotten below 7f here in the past 5 years - and that has only been a once-a-year occurance... our 'average' low has been around 25-30f for the most part.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(amazondk @ Jan. 12 2008,22:15)

Is there a zone above 11? At 3 degrees South Latitude and about 100 feet above sea level in the humid equatorial tropics it is hard to be more tropical ( I guess impossible is better than hard)  than where my garden is.  

dk

You live in one giant garden!