IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Building a radiation shield

ruskinPalms

The thermometer in my weather station is messed up so I ordered a new one. I needed a radiation shield for it. I am going to post a few pictures and a little descripion of how I made it.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Supplies and tools:

Used old pot bottoms, nuts and washers, bolt rod things from home depot, 1" PVC pipe and fittings, white spray paint, a couple machine screws, PVC plastic cement, duct tape to make a washer. Screwdriver, power drill, hack saw, utility knife, and maybe some other simple tools as needed.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Cut squares out of the pot bottoms. Cut a circle big enough for the pipe fitting to fit through on a couple of them, ended up only using one of the bottoms the pipe hole though.

Cut the PVC pipe with hack saw. Made a point on a shorter piece so that it can be driven into the ground. Put male and female finttings on the pipe so the whole thing is modular so that it can be taken down easier for hurricanes and such.

post-228-1199845624_thumb.jpg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Put the pot bottoms on the bolt rods with washers and nuts starting from bottom up. Pretty tedious....

post-228-1199845832_thumb.jpg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Putting it together. Used a pipe cap and a male pipe joint to hold the shield to the top of the pipe. Used a machine screw to secure the bottom of the shield to the pipe. Used another screw to make a simple hanger for the sensor inside the shield.

post-228-1199846070_thumb.jpg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Screwed the whole thing onto the pipe that I pounded into the ground outside earlier. Here it is next to my old weather station. I hope this shield works. It is passive, no fan. But, I left the bolt rods out the top in case I want to expand on the design in the future ( like a solar powered fan some how). Most likely, I am just going to moint a plate of larger diameter to the top to provide some more shade.

post-228-1199846326_thumb.jpg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

That's it. It actually seems pretty solid. Took some time to make, but really not all that difficult.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(ruskinPalms @ Jan. 08 2008,21:38)

Most likely, I am just going to moint a plate of larger diameter to the top to provide some more shade.

Bill-

Definitely do this.

It will not only shade the sensor more effectively, it will also keep rain out.

I think youve got a great looking shield there!  

I would certainly look into adding a fan.  I noticed drastic improvements in accuracy versus the same shield without a fan.  And, if you do add a fan, make sure it pulls air across the sensor (rather than blowing across it) as the fan will add a small amount of heat to the air which you do not wish to measure.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Very nice Bill,

I just got my weather station and will be building one now also. Thanks for the tutorial.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

(ruskinPalms @ Jan. 08 2008,21:38)

Screwed the whole thing onto the pipe that I pounded into the ground outside earlier. Here it is next to my old weather station. I hope this shield works. It is passive, no fan. But, I left the bolt rods out the top in case I want to expand on the design in the future ( like a solar powered fan some how). Most likely, I am just going to moint a plate of larger diameter to the top to provide some more shade.

If you need more radiative shielding, a more reflective surface would help.  Foil is a bit more reflective than white PVC, especially in the UV range, and aluminum dissipates any heat buildup faster than PVC, thats for sure.  Since overnight low temps are my main concern, and I have alot of canopy, I dont have much interest in what the sun effect on sensors is, but the best shielding is highly reflective.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Thanks everyone. I added a top plate to help when the sun gets more overhead and intense. Tom, I may try a reflective top plate of some sort. Thanks for the suggestion.

post-228-1199921823_thumb.jpg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Nice work Bill!  That looks really professional.  I like how the center post is offset so the sensor ends up in the center of the radiation shield.  I wouldn't have thought of that until after the fact.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)