IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Transplanting Bismarckia

Daryl

On larger specimens with up to 10 ft of trunk?

What about those that are just forming a trunk?

Any tricks to doing it?

Glad to hear any advice...I'm sure some of you out there have done this before.

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Dear Daryl  :)

i have heard lots of stories about biz collapsing

after few months after transplantation ?

since its roots are very delicate & sensitive to

harsh treatment.

if you have no choice,then use proffessional

palm installers.that might have some chance of

survival_but i feel it is remote chance.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

all i've heard about transplanting bizzies is "don't even try".

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

You can do it!!!

Seen it done.  Maybe someone who has had success will post?

But, I think a frondectomy and a spearbotomy may be in order.  Also, don't dilly-dally and use the HOSE with abandon.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

why are these roots so much more sensitive than other palms?...... Obviously they must come from pots into the ground (unless its seed).. How do you take them from the pot and put them in the ground?. or is the problem just when you dig them up from the ground and try to move them?

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(BobbyinNY @ Aug. 23 2006,14:33)

How do you take them from the pot and put them in the ground?.

Carefully!

Back when I planted mine from a pot into the ground, I didnt have any understanding on how sensitive they are.  So, I went forth with reckless abandon!  And....all was fine...no issues whatsoever. Not even a browned frond tip.

I planted another one at my parents house earlier this year and was ultra careful with it.  Yet, this one browned several of the older fronds within a few weeks.

But, its sprung back fine and since they grow so well with heat and water, one would hardly know it was setback earlier this year.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Bismarckia's can be moved, your chances of survival are alot better if they have some wood trunk to them. I like to remove approx. 1\3 of the lower leaves when moved. This helps with loss of transpiration through the leaves.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have also seen large Bismarkias moved very carefully. As Jeff pointed out pruning 1/3 of leaves helps. But also root cutting the plant 3-4 months prior to pulling it from ground allows the palm to get new fresh root into the root ball. This is acheived by digging a trench along the OUTSIDE of the anticipated root ball to be removed. Do not disturb the future ball. Dig down about three feet  making sure to get a clean cut on roots then back fill the trench. Depending on weather wait 3-4 months then redig trench and pop out rooball. Obvoiusly machinery is required.  I have seen this successfully done with a number of large Bismarkias. Out of 5 plants 4 made it. Not bad when people say its impossible.

Good luck

Also a couple of doses of root hormone through out process helps alot.

Oscar

I have moved many big palms and although I do not like to share all of my tecniques (competition you know) I can say that what people are writting here is about right.

One thing to mention is that if you have done it right you will not have to cut any fronds from the bottom and that the day you move it you will cut NO new roots!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

So what I'm getting out of Ken's post is you completely dig all the way around and under the palm, severing roots as you go, and then backfill completely.  Wait a while...then on moving day redig where you already cut all the roots and lift the palm out and install in a new place.   But that dosen't really make sense.  How's that different from just digging it up completely and immediately reinstalling it to a new hole.  Ahhhhhhh, I'm confused.  Maybe the root cutting and the jarring and moving of the palm need to be done at separate times to lessen the shock.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matty,

What everyone is referring to is called 'Trenching' in these parts. The idea is to make the plant generate new roots. The newer roots will still only be short when you move the palm, so they will be in the root ball and not get damaged at transplant time. Once re-planted the roots will continue to grow out and into the surrounding soil.

Thanks very much to all that answered my question...looks like I have some digging to do!

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I would suggest at least 6 weeks of root prune time, more if possible. Also, I don't usually trim the lower fronds untill needed, however, the tree farms I deal with cut out a new frond. Usually it will be the next frond to open that they remove. I'm not sure how this helps, but it does. Have planted quite a few large multi foot clear trunk Bizzies with this method with great success.

You guys almost got it but let me help a little more.

All palms can sprout new roots from the remainder of the cut ones (contrary to popular belief!). This mens that if you backfill the hole, new roots will grow into  the soil and you will be cutting them again!

The ultimate transplant requires the ball to be ISOLATED. Then on moving day you esentially have a containerized palm. Again this is the extream tecnique, and must be used on some palms for a 100% shock proof move.

Bizzies will greatly benefit from this tecnique.

Now if its a Queen or one of its relitives (ie coconut) you can move it the same day. This would be the other end of the spectrum as far as a transplant tecnique.

All other tecniques fall in between these two.

Good luck!

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

(Ken Johnson @ Aug. 24 2006,15:07)

All palms can sprout new roots from the remainder of the cut ones (contrary to popular belief!).

Even the fabled Sabals?!?!??

Larry 

I've seen pics of them wrapping root balls with shrink wrap.  Maybe Ken is suggesting to do this before backfilling.  Sorry, Ken I don't wanna give away proprietary methods but you're leading us on...... :)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(spockvr6 @ Aug. 24 2006,15:16)

(Ken Johnson @ Aug. 24 2006,15:07)

All palms can sprout new roots from the remainder of the cut ones (contrary to popular belief!).

Even the fabled Sabals?!?!??

I have seen the proof with my own eyes. Getting them to do it is the trick. Yes they will die back if you are not CAREFULL. I will not go into the tecniques but one thing for sure is that if you let them dry out they will die!

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Ken you big tease!  Ok, so Ken is saying to construct a box within the trenches!  Now, how do you get the bottom on before the move............maybe you don't.  Man, even with your tricks Ken, it seems easier to pay a guy like you who's equiped to do the job.  But the competition is watching, quick, scatter......(whistling....)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

What do you want to pay for Mike?

I can tell you that transplanting trees has been my primary means of income for 22 years. I have a lot of stories about how big, how expensive, how rare, how I did it bare root..you get the idea. In the long run if you want to do it "yourself" it can be done. I use the quotes because even I do not have all the equipment to do the job sometimes. This means spending money. Cranes, tractor trailers and labor (I am almost 50 and have very little cartilage left in parts of my back) all cost. By the time you do it yourself a big palm can cost in the ball park of $1,000 and thats for the easy ones!

Bizzies are easy compaired to Copernicia and their like. Did a big Borrassus the other day and even that bugger browned a couple of new leaves. I have been root prunning that sucker for MORE THAN 1 YEAR!

I will continue to try to answer transplant questions on this board to help people out. Keep the questions comming. Just keep in mind that I may not spill all the beans.

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

(Ken Johnson @ Aug. 23 2006,20:06)

I have moved many big palms and although I do not like to share all of my tecniques (competition you know) I can say that what people are writting here is about right.

One thing to mention is that if you have done it right you will not have to cut any fronds from the bottom and that the day you move it you will cut NO new roots!

If you do root prune any tree, palm, etc. prior to a move, be sure to at least triple the watering cycles while there are in this curing stage. I have had much success with this even moving large Oaks. The enclosed image is of a tree that was moved on one of my projects with a former firm in Fort Lauderdale. These trees were root pruned in three stages over a year time, with 1/3 of the circumference being cut each pruning. With these oaks, misters were also provided during the interim period in the canopy to help reduce transpiration throug the leaves during this time period. Out of 9 trees moved, eight survived.

The one tree that did die was due to the construction workers who took lunch under the canopy of the trees at the new location. The workers cut the irrigation and misting system on the trees several times during the establishment of the trees. I find that typically on projects a plan is usually very workable yet in the execution, someone does something ( or forgets to do something ) causing the death of a plant. And on 99% of these occurances it involves the lack of or lack of sufficient amounts of water. HUMAN ERROR

The  company that moved these trees is Tree Movers out of Boynton Beach Florida and is in my opinion the best in the business. Their experience and experiese is uncompromised. The human errors were on the part of the site workers at the project location during the establishment period.

Randall

post-203-1156466955_thumb.jpg

www.commonpalms.com

www.uncommonpalms.com

Orlando Florida, USA

College Park Office of

Land Art Landscape Architecture

You know I was thing about this the other day, if I had to move and finally had some of my more rare palms FINALLY in the ground, I decided I would dig down and basically build a box around them!     It also helped me to decide not to plant the rare ones too close together!!!

Bill-

PS- Thanks for the pointers, Ken

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(Ken Johnson @ Aug. 24 2006,20:32)

I can tell you that transplanting trees has been my primary means of income for 22 years. I have a lot of stories about how big, how expensive, how rare, how I did it bare root..you get the idea.

Ken,

I am very aware of your reputation in south FL.  That is why, when you speak, my eyes open wide.  Keep the info comming.

I have watched several large Bismarckia  with wood die at local nurseries. They arrive looking great with a tight wrapped marl rootball and a premium price tag. The local nursery owners treat them like their other palms and they slowly die over the course of the summer. If I were going to spring for the going price of a large Bizzie, I would pay for someone to do it right.  No way I would buy a field dug tree from a retailer. Tim

A picture of my largest one............

aaaaapalms001.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

(TimHopper @ Aug. 25 2006,14:01)

No way I would buy a field dug tree from a retailer.

Me neither.

One of the Lowes around here had a huge one (the largest I have seen that was out of the ground) and that thing looked great for a few weeks.  Then it went downhill fast.  Even at the eventually cut rate price, I had no interest in it (and I am a bargain hunter!)

Larry 

(Ken Johnson @ Aug. 25 2006,17:14)

I have seen them die after the nurseryman "pulls" them from the nursery. This is because just a few roots have escaped the pot and were broken!

I agree.  I have grown 100s of container grown biz.  I also have had many of them die after being sold, because of the roots protruding from the container were disturbed during movement.  Looks like they need to be root pruned (cut all protruding roots hanging out of container) before moving to new location.  I also have just moved containers around the nursery with roots hanging out, and they go into shock.  I need to bump up 15 gal to 30 gal & feel that I will just sit the 15 gal container into the 30 gal.  That way I will not have to wrestle the palm out of the 15 gal and destroy it.  What do you think Ken?

Mike,I started 50+ silver about 15 months ago in 3 gallon pots. Within 5 months thew were heavly rooted into the ground so I just cut the roots hanging out the holes and threw them into 15 gals, fertilized, and kept them wet. Not 1 loss. That was oct of 05. 2 weeks ago I decided to up grade them to 25's when I noticed they were heavly rootbound again. Same thing as last time, no deaths, not even 1 brown frond. Just take your time, get help from a friend and you'll be fine.

Yep. Keep 'em wet. When you disturb (kill) the roots the palms have fewer roots available for water uptake but the surviving ones can make up for it provided water is there.

Also, step up palms that need this kind of care quicker. Don't wait for the roots to escape.

See what I mean about the competition wanting to pick my brain?

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Ken, The way my bizzies grow, I would probally have to repot them every few months. They have been upgraded 3 times in 15 months. The next upgrade, their heading straight into 95's or larger. I'm working on collecting pots now. After that, no more upgrades, just going to sell and make my pockets a little fatter. :)

I am thinking that a 95 gallon con mucho agua and comida will let you grow a pretty big Bizzie. When the roots do come out just spin the pot 10 degrees. This will "prune" the roots and alow them to "harden" off. A lot like  when you properly prune the top of a tree, in this case you are trimming the bottom!

I also have tips for removing the palm from the container when it is planted in the ground. Remember you can kill one then too!

Should I start a thread called ASK KEN?

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

yes ken please do

We are growing aproximately 450 Bismarkias they are currently in 15 Gal. grow bags. When we plant these out we just cut off the bottom place in hole and then slide the bag over the leaves works great. Back to questions regarding big moves.

Do you use a tree spade ever ? if so what kind ? I am in another country so no competition here. My nursery is only 7 years old but we have 5 acres for growing things in the ground (for the long haul).

Do you ever use other materials other than wood to isolate the rootball? ie.. weed barrier.

Have you transplanted any Hyphaene? were they easier or harder than the bismarks. I have both petersiana and coriacea in the ground and plan on pulling them in 5-10 years.

Any tips or advice would be very helpful

Muchas gracias

oscar

Oscar,

You bring up a lot of good points. Send me an email and lets swap photos and ideas.

There are a million ways to skin a cat and palms are no different. What works well with one may not be good for another. For sure to be successful in the palm business you need all the tricks in tu casa.

I will start a post to help the homeowners with their specific questions, if I can.

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

• 6 years later...

I bought a 4 foot tall from an online nursery 2 weeks ago and it started drying no matter what I do. I now moved it to a larger pot and I made sure no roots were disturbed. Gave it root growth hormone and fertilizer just like the niursery siggested. Watering it every day as per nursery instructions.

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown

• 2 years later...

It actually died.

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown

I am thinking that a 95 gallon con mucho agua and comida will let you grow a pretty big Bizzie. When the roots do come out just spin the pot 10 degrees. This will "prune" the roots and alow them to "harden" off. A lot like when you properly prune the top of a tree, in this case you are trimming the bottom!

I also have tips for removing the palm from the container when it is planted in the ground. Remember you can kill one then too!

Should I start a thread called ASK KEN?

Lol

Where can I find the "ASK KEN" thread? :)

• 5 years later...

Mature bismarckia is VERY easy to transplant, but it must be done the right way. Most mature fan palms should be relocated in this same method: Remove ALL the fronds and keep the root ball saturated for at least 6 months after the move. Root ball size is irrelevant and advanced root pruning is completely unnecessary.  Most run into problems is when they try to move a palm with a full or partial head of fronds - not recommended. Move palms in the warmest time of the year for best results. Below are some photos of Bismarckia nobilis (silver Bismarck palm) being relocated along the FL Turnpike in Miami. The move is usually done in one day with no advanced root pruning. This method has a 98% survival rate. The palm pushes out a full head of fronds within 1 - 2 years afterwards. The last photo is 4 - 6 months after transplant, you can see the new fronds beginning to develop.

2019-12-13_008.jpg

2019-12-13_014.jpg

2019-12-13_021.jpg

2019-12-13_015.jpg

2020-03-20_008.jpg

2020-04-20_006.jpg

• Upvote 1