IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Great Parajubaea Experiment

_Keith

Here is my Parajubea Cocoides. Its about 5 years in ground planted in the middle of my yard without any frost protection, nor protection from the heat... which has seen 110f to 113f several times.

Looks best in the fall and spring... but it still looks good in mid summer where our average highs are in the mid 90's... but dry.

Jeff

post-116-1209137056_thumb.jpg

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the Great Parajubaea Experiment.

Parajubaea torallyi #1 is dead. The second is hanging in there. All are struggling with a particularly brutal (heavy winds and no rain) spring. Actually, the Parajubaea torallyi that died was probably just whipped to death by the wind as it was the tallest. The biggest issue with the other 3 is keeping them hydrated as they are all late stage seedlings. Come on summer rains.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Here is my Parajubea Cocoides. Its about 5 years in ground planted in the middle of my yard without any frost protection, nor protection from the heat... which has seen 110f to 113f several times.

Looks best in the fall and spring... but it still looks good in mid summer where our average highs are in the mid 90's... but dry.

Jeff

You might try using windblock around young seedlings. If I didnt do that all my seedlings would be dead as they dont have developed enough root systems to replace the water lost to drying winds. Drying winds can be worse than high heat in dessication potential. I found the P Toryallyi seedlings to be OK, but like all seedlings, they need protection from drying wind and direct sun.

I would rank the P Tor seedlings with my phoenix sylvestris seedlings. They arent as sensitive as archontophoenix, or wodyetia but not as tough as chamaerops cerifera or sabal uresana. I put my p Tor in 15 gallon pots till they develop big root systems, then they will go into the ground. Seedlings are easier to protect in pots, as you can move them around if they happen to be in an excessively dry spot.

My 3 P Tor are still looking OK, but they are tented with some shadecloth and plastic sheeting on 3 sides. The new spears are slowly pushing out. My roystonea borinquena would be dried up right now if I hadnt tented/ shadeclothed it. Its just pushed its second pinnate palm. Every part of the country has different weather obstacles, but I can assure you that the drying winds of AZ are as dry as any out there(dewpoints high teens to high twenties lately). I keep my P tor with phoenix, chamaerops and sabal uresana as they are both less water loving than my dypsis and archontos, which are kept in a separate wet shadehouse.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I have a 1 gallon Parajubaea torallyi. Can it go directly into full sun?

Dan

Foggy San Francisco

Average Monthly Hi 60.2 F

Average Monthly Lo 49.9 F

Avearge Monthy 55.2F

Average Summer Hi 61.8F

Average Winter Lo 45.8

Undestanding that San Francisco area is most year cloudy, plant your Paratorallyi where theres exposed to sun.-

They love the californian sun, pictures of those growing in the sunny San Diego prove this.-

Also, naturaly they grow in the area around the area of the sunny Sucre city in Bolivia..-

Gaston,

San Francisco may be cloudy and foggy in the summer, but I live only 30 minutes away, and I rarely see a cloud in the summer. We have just had a very cool spring, but we are getting a kick-start into summer. The next few days the temps. are forcast to break records, climbing to 100+F (38+C). Yesterday it was 90F (33C). I marked the P. T V T and the Butia X Parajubaea and the emerging spears are growing at 1/2" (1.5cm) per 24 hour period. Actually, the Butia X Parajubaea is growing a little faster than the P. T V T. With a few hot days I expect the growth rate will increase.

The tips of the news fronds on both, the P. T V T and the Butia X Parabubaea are higher than my head. They both get a little weather beaten by strong winds, but I expect the fronds will get stronger and tougher when they grow mature fronds. It's a little to early to tell, but it would appear the B X P will have a trunk that grows tall, rather than thick like a Butia. The base of the B X P is about as thick as a volley ball now. I'll send some pictures at the end of the growing season this year, and I hope by the end of summer I will be able to stand under each palm.

My 3 way cross, Bujubagrus, which was planted late last summer is springing into growth with warmer weather. It has a heavier texture than Butiagrus and it should be able to take colder temps., and wind. It definately has hybrid vigor and should grow into a beautiful, large palm.

Dick

Richard Douglas

A couple might make it, one looks bad, and one looks dead.

First up is a P. torallyi pushing new spear, followed by P. torallyi var microcarpa pushing new spear , then P. sunkha sulking, maybe dying, and finally the dead P. torallyi. And so The Great Parajubaea Experiment continues.

post-1207-1211331385_thumb.jpg

post-1207-1211331403_thumb.jpg

post-1207-1211331728_thumb.jpg

post-1207-1211331741_thumb.jpg

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith,

I was looking at your photographs again, and it looks to me like you have planted your Parajubaeas at ground level, an seems like you have a high water table. Also I see some mulch around them. Seems to me if you had planted them on a mound with lots of gravel mixed in and with no mulch around them, they might have done better. All of the photos I've seen of them growing in S. Calif. get excellent drainage and they are growing in a gravely soil with no mulch. They often rot with any organic matter touching the trunks. I allow mine to get on the dry side in the summer and I don't water them until the top 2 or 3 inches of soil drys out. I also don't put mine in the ground until they have grown to 5 gal. size.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Keith,

I was looking at your photographs again, and it looks to me like you have planted your Parajubaeas at ground level, an seems like you have a high water table. Also I see some mulch around them. Seems to me if you had planted them on a mound with lots of gravel mixed in and with no mulch around them, they might have done better. All of the photos I've seen of them growing in S. Calif. get excellent drainage and they are growing in a gravely soil with no mulch. They often rot with any organic matter touching the trunks. I allow mine to get on the dry side in the summer and I don't water them until the top 2 or 3 inches of soil drys out. I also don't put mine in the ground until they have grown to 5 gal. size.

Dick

Thank you so much for the close observation. They are planted about 2 to 3 inches above ground level in an area that stays very dry due to the surrounding large Oaks which cannot be seen in the picture. On the other side of them is my Citrus grove.

I did not know about the organic matter. I mulched them due to worrying about the ground becoming so dry they would not establish. Even grass does not establish wiell in that area, as opposed to other areas in my yard. I will remove the mulch later today.

• 4 months later...

Update on The (not so) Great Parajubaea experiment. 1 Parajubaea torallyi and 1 Parajubaea sunkha are still alive. Pretty amazing considering, in addition to being planted as seedlings, this being a not ideal climate, a summer drought, and two hurricanes.

They still aren't much to look at, but they are alive and are showing new growth.

Sounds good Keith!

I’m sorry to report that my Butiaxparajubea hybrid pulled a spear last week and is on the decline. My most expensive palm purchase to date took a crap on me, tough loss. I hit it with fungicide and peroxide and repotted in some very light soil, I sure hope it somehow survives, but I doubt it.

Update on The (not so) Great Parajubaea experiment. 1 Parajubaea torallyi and 1 Parajubaea sunkha are still alive. Pretty amazing considering, in addition to being planted as seedlings, this being a not ideal climate, a summer drought, and two hurricanes.

They still aren't much to look at, but they are alive and are showing new growth.

Sounds like a torture test, Keith. I am waiting until at least next year till I plant one of mine in the ground. They have been slow in the heat and are now inching forward with new growth. They hate overhead water, I learned this the hard way and now they are on drip irrigation every 3 days in pots. They are supposed to grow better in the cooler weather, we shall see in the next few months.

Tom Blank

Yes, it has been a torture test. I planted them last winter. So add to the above the wet winter, and a 3 day period with over 12 inches of rain during Gustav, wind gust to 90mph and hours of sustained winds above 60mph. And then another good drenching 2 week later with Ike, and even more winds. Yet, they perservere.

Don't get me wrong, they are bruised and battered, but they are here. The fact that they are alive at all is something of a miracle at this point.

Brace yourself for the horror you are about to see, and pardon the bad pictures.

This is the sunkha and is pushing 2 new spears.

post-1207-1222126439_thumb.jpg

This is the torallyi. It was in a less sheltered location and really battered, but it too is pushing a new spear.

post-1207-1222126564_thumb.jpg

Sounds good Keith!

I’m sorry to report that my Butiaxparajubea hybrid pulled a spear last week and is on the decline. My most expensive palm purchase to date took a crap on me, tough loss. I hit it with fungicide and peroxide and repotted in some very light soil, I sure hope it somehow survives, but I doubt it.

Sorry to hear that.

BTW - I put those two Mules and the BxJ that I had gotten from you, in the ground today.

Keith,

Good luck with them this winter, its probably try to keep them a little dry if possible.

Tom Blank

Keith--

I have two Parajubaea sunkhas here in Natchez, planted this past spring. I actually had four, two in a pot gave up the ghost and died right after Gustav's drenching (11+ inches in that hurricane here)...not sure if that had something to do with it. I have two, however, that are in the ground on the north-facing side of a fence, largely hidden at present under Mirabalis jalapa and Alocasia, etc. which keeps them relatively cool. They seem to be doing fine though it's hard to tell if they're doing any growing of note, they're strap-leaved seedlings about 8-10" tall. I would venture to hypothesize that keeping them in the ground with a northern exposure will help them while they're young because the summer soil temperature will be much cooler than that in a container. They certainly seem rather slow to me, but they look healthy enough at present. We have cooler nighttime temps in summer than you do nearer the coast (in the 71-74 range for us usually) but still almost always it tops out in the low 90s during the day.

Hopefully all of our survivors will pull through and there will be some successes...at least the cool-night period is setting up for us about now. But these are obviously not the easiest, nor most adaptable, palm on the planet!

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

• 1 month later...

I still have a torallyi hanging in there, and the sunkha is looking good.

I was reading on another site that these palms grow in limestone valleys in their native habitat. Our soils here on on the acidy side. Should I lime the soil where these palms are?

great thread!

Parajubaea's are a new introduction around here and are extremely rare in gardens (the same for many other palmspecies). in spring 2007 i planted a seedling out in the garden and i had now problems with it so far. it has surprised me last winter. it never showed damage from cold even not after a -5.9°C(21.38°F). i do keep it dry with a roof during our wintermonths. we have wet, cold and long winters, from mid december to around early march we can expect the coldest temperatures. most freezes are between -0°C(32°F) and -3°C(26.6°F) with most winters a few drops between -5°C/-7°C(23°F/19.4°F). daytime temperatures are low, around 14°C(57°F) during milder periods. this is for the last 10/15years which seem unusual mild (climate changes?) in the past temperatures dropped to -15°C(5°F) for weeks with daytime temperatures around -5°C(23°F). last time this happend was in 1987 or 1989. when my father was a boy he walked on the frozen sea in 1963 :huh: such extremely cold winters seem a thing out of the past and with the current global warming could stay there for a while. also frostdays are getting extremely rare and snow never stays long when it ever snows.

it is is great to experiment with plants in my climate. there is already a large range of plants we can grow here that would be impossible 20y ago, availability has also something to do with that but milder winters seem to be the largest factor. Parajubaea is a fantastic palm and so far it seems happy in my climate and even grows during the milder weather in winter. the real test wil come when it gets to large to keep it dry. i have no idea how it wil cope with wet freezes around -6°C/-7°C(21.2°F/19.4°F). this temperatures are also approximately the minimum temperatures most people give them :unsure:

Parajubaea toryalli var toryalli at 51°N

post-2909-1226311618_thumb.jpg

A few weeks ago I delivered 6 Parajubaeas to San Francisco to be planted in the San Francisco Botanical Gardens in Golden Gate park. There were 3 P. TVT, 2 P. microcarpa and one sunkha, all nice 5 gal. sized with one or two divided fronds emerging. The planting will be supervised by Jason Dewees, who has contatcs with the supervisors of the garden. Jason is an experienced palm grower and helped in selecting the site where the palms will be planted. I have not seen the site, but hopefully it will be well drained and sunny. I can't think of a better place to plant these palms, and hopefully in a few years we will be walking under Parajubaeas in a public location where they can be enjoyed by all.

Dick

Richard Douglas

A few weeks ago I delivered 6 Parajubaeas to San Francisco to be planted in the San Francisco Botanical Gardens in Golden Gate park. There were 3 P. TVT, 2 P. microcarpa and one sunkha, all nice 5 gal. sized with one or two divided fronds emerging. The planting will be supervised by Jason Dewees, who has contatcs with the supervisors of the garden. Jason is an experienced palm grower and helped in selecting the site where the palms will be planted. I have not seen the site, but hopefully it will be well drained and sunny. I can't think of a better place to plant these palms, and hopefully in a few years we will be walking under Parajubaeas in a public location where they can be enjoyed by all.

Dick

Hi Dick,

This sounds great! I'm going to try and get over there on Saturday. I'd like to get some photos of the C. quinduiense also.

I'm also planning on going over to the Palmetum to help the work group before heading over to SBTG.

Thanks for your contributions!

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

OK folks focus, focus. LOL. Do I need to add lime or not? Ph today is probably 6 or below.

Said in all the best humor, but really, I need to know.

I still have a torallyi hanging in there, and the sunkha is looking good.

I was reading on another site that these palms grow in limestone valleys in their native habitat. Our soils here on on the acidy side. Should I lime the soil where these palms are?

My Parajubaeas are growing fine (specially P. sunkha) in sandy acid soil.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Here is a follow up to let you know palm donations from myself, Jason Dewees, Kevin Weaver and Darold Petty have been delivered to the San Francisco Botanical Gardens. (Strybing Arboretum) The palms will reside in their nursery until the work load of the gardeners allows them to be planted. I'm hoping they will not be allowed to languish in the nursery all winter and can be planted ASP.

Dick

Richard Douglas

• 4 months later...

Palmarati,

Did your parajubaea torallyi make it? I have one that is going in the ground in about 20 days or so. Wondering if it needs to be acclimated to sun, or can just be planted right away. I got it off Ebay, and would be planting it in an area that gets about 6-8 hours of sun a day.

Picture:

IMG_1353.jpg

Tim

Zone: 5b

January: 25F/9F

July: 83F/64F

Palmarati,

Did your parajubaea torallyi make it? I have one that is going in the ground in about 20 days or so. Wondering if it needs to be acclimated to sun, or can just be planted right away. I got it off Ebay, and would be planting it in an area that gets about 6-8 hours of sun a day.

Picture:

IMG_1353.jpg

If it survives a Wisconsin winter, even protected, I'll suspect miracles, witchcraft, or both . . . .

Good luck!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Palmarati,

Picture:

Yes, the torallyi and sunkha are still kicking. The sunkha is doing a little better than the torallyi. They have grown very little, but your summer time may be much better suited to them than mine. As for your winters, well Dave said it best. I think these things probably bottom out in the low 20s.

Palmarati,

Picture:

Yes, the torallyi and sunkha are still kicking. The sunkha is doing a little better than the torallyi. They have grown very little, but your summer time may be much better suited to them than mine. As for your winters, well Dave said it best. I think these things probably bottom out in the low 20s.

No problem at all. With the protection I give them, it will be about 45-60 during the day in winter and around 30 at night.

Tim

Zone: 5b

January: 25F/9F

July: 83F/64F

• 9 months later...

Looks like the experiment may be over. The prolonged cold and 3 night near the 20 degree mark seems to have done them in. I'll give them till spring, but will be amazed if they come back.

I had hoped to get more input on this thread so we can come to some conclussions about the Parajubaeas. Now come on you guys in S. Calif., there are probably more Parajubaeas growing in S. Cal. than anywhere outside of their native habitat. You got some pretty low temps. this winter, so how did your Parajubaeas fair? Please list your lows and with protection or not.

I have a feeling it's not high daytime temps. that do them in, but warm humid nights and constant humidity in such places like Florida. Last summer I experienced at least 3 different heat waves where the temps. reached 100+ F (38+ C) and the palms continued to grow. In fact, I think it's a myth that they slow down in summer as that's when mine grow the most, although I must admit, they grow the fastest in Sept. and Oct when the days are getting shorter, but then all of my palms have a spurt of growth then.

I think the difference is, even in the summer heat waves, the nights cool down to the 60's or even lower in my location, hot low humidity days and cool nights. I have a feeling it's the mean temperature that counts. An even more ideal climate would be the one found around the San Francisco Bay where the days are not so hot, and the nights are even cooler than mine. My limiting factor seems to be low night time temps. which drop below freezing in the winter. I'll repeat again, below 25F. and expect foliage damage.

Dick

Dick ,

simular experience here in Jax--- I grew them in Florida here in Jax in the 90's tried 3 times over the years before I gave up . The last time I had on in the ground for about 5 years --- it went through all the heat we had in FL in the late 90s--- 100F temps ---

The long freezes we had in 2001 --- did the last one in... spear pulled out --- it started to return in July --- very weak but the wet humid Septermber caused the crown to rot--- This is when I seriously started looking at the hybrids

Best regards

Ed

Ed,

I'm afraid the sad truth is that Parajubaeas don't like the hot, humid climate of the Gulf States and the South East, all so the occasional cold blast that you get such as this year. The same could be said about Jubaeas.

The good news is that B X P seem to do quite well in the SE, also Butia X Jubaea and some of the other hybrids crossed with Butia or Jubaea. In my opinion most of the hybrids are nicer looking palms than either of their parents, especially B X P. which has a very tropical apperance.

Dick

Richard Douglas

My little p.t. microcarpa in its pot seems untouched after a night at -7 C and another at -5 C, no watering during this winter yet, and protection from rain snow and wind.

in the summer we have pretty hot night (20-23 C) but the microcarpa did Not suffer.

Best

Federico

Edited by fdrc65

Federico

Ravenna , Italy

USDA 8a\b

16146.gif

Among my P coicoides, PTVT, and P sunkha, sunkha definitely has been the most frost tolerant for me. 1 day in the mid 20's and 3 days in the upper 20's burnt the leaves on my cocoides, and TTVT but both of my sunkha's are still spotless.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Among my P coicoides, PTVT, and P sunkha, sunkha definitely has been the most frost tolerant for me. 1 day in the mid 20's and 3 days in the upper 20's burnt the leaves on my cocoides, and TTVT but both of my sunkha's are still spotless.

Glenn,

That's nice to know. My P TVT got about 10% burned with the hard freeze I had on Dec 8 & 9th. It got down to 24 or 25 F. I wouldn't have planted it in such a prominent spot if I had known they were that cold sensitive. My old P cocoides gets zapped almost every winter, but it keeps chugging along.

Dick

Richard Douglas

• 2 months later...

Here in Florianopolis I have yet to keep a parajubaea alive.

They just suddenly rot and die.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

• 1 month later...

The Great Parajubaea Experiment is not over yet. Amazingly, the P. sunkha is pushing a spear.

The more sun the better, even in the land O'La La . . . .

Sombre esta muerte (shade is death) for parajubes, in my honest opinion.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The Great Parajubaea Experiment is not over yet. Amazingly, the P. sunkha is pushing a spear.

I hope it makes it for you Keith. You need some good cheer.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Mine is too in Ocala! I think Sunkha, while slower in the southeast than Cali, is a real winner here!

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)