IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Showing off camera

DoomsDave

Kris, those were nice pictures.  I haven't done much insect photography lately, but that will change . . . .

LOVE that gaudy grasshopper!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Nice pics.

For Christmas, I blew up some pics I have taken to fit in 11x17 matted frames and gave them to friends.

Here are a few of them. They really looked good framed.

2183826529_11d1e754b1_b.jpg

2184613764_22bf1e8f31_b.jpg

2184613688_30c8134b20_b.jpg

2183826247_b6237c1bce_b.jpg

Laguna Niguel, CA

Absolutely incredible.  Thanks,

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

OK, now stop it.  You're making me embarrased to hold a camera and pretending to take photographs.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Oh, go ahead, I am as a bad a photographer as I am a palm grower.  The world should suffer for neither.  Wow us some more.

Dear John Jenkins  :)

iam speachless and are you a proffessional photographer like Peter ? And what camera did take all these wonderful stills..is it DSLR stuff or different cameras used for different stills ?

since i love photography...And all that i can tell now is that iam just worshipping your stills_simply superb ! 9628b23d.gif

And iam very happy that all are using the same thread,instead of starting a seperate new topic,since if done so,it will fade into oblivian soon.that is all self shot camera stills found under this header will help all to visit often & also upload some really excellent stills as John as

posted.

Thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Angela  :)

thanks for posting such beautiful stills and it seems your love for art & gardens is clearly visible in those stills which indeed has a artistic expression to it...And your camera is doing great work !

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Angela, Kris, great pics.

Kris, thanks for the kind words. Glad you like the photos. No I am not a pro photographer, lol. I get carried away sometimes trying to capture scenes. In the river photo's above, I probably snapped 100 pics trying to capture the "feel" of those two places. I was fishing with a couple of friends and kept falling behind because I had to pull the camera out. Still didn't quite get it but the second river shot comes close.

For the flower pics and the river shots I used my wifes, middle of the road , Sony Cybershot dsc-50. FOr the rest I used my older Sony Mavica MVC-CD350. Both camera's have crappy zoom performance but I have always been able to take semi-decent macro shots with them.

Next camera will definitely be a DSLR.

Laguna Niguel, CA

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 05 2008,22:42)

A Canon SX100 IS.

Dave, how many shots are you getting out of your batteries? I'm eying that same model but am leary about its lack of a viewfinder and having to use the LCD to frame shots.  My previous Canon Powershot had a viewfinder so I could turn off the LCD and my batteries would last for over a thousand pictures.

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 05 2008,22:42)

For just under 300 clams, literally $299.99 including tax.
Staples has that model on sale for $199 till Saturday, Jan. 19.

(krisachar @ Jan. 07 2008,21:08)

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 07 2008,23:55)

Got some great pics of hot women in cafes . . . . . .

dave

Can we all have the privilage of getting those visuals_please ! since the new years feasting's & partying are incomplete without proper visuals...c98a12f5.gif

i hope they are not blurred images...

thanks & love,

Lol Kris!  You're so funny!!! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Mats:

THe one drawback to this camera is the way it uses up the batteries quickly.  

I'm not getting many shots, maybe a couple hundred, if that, from each set of batteries Part of the problem is that it's only two AA batteries, and the other is that I like to zoom in, and zoom out, which uses up the power.  I never even thought of the LCD being a power hawg, but it makes sense, but I'll live with that.  For my style of photog, the viewfinder, unless it's huge, is a PIA.  

THe best solution is to carry around a bunch of batteries, which, I know, is going to piss off the EarthFirst! crowd.  That said, rechargables appear to last much longer, but they were'nt feasable on my trip, since I was afield all the time, and charging in the car never does a good job -- simply not enough power.  

Except for the battery issue, I'm very satisfied with the camera.  There's plenty of room to tweak things and do some serious bug, hummingbird, landscape and espionage photography.

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's a pic of the camera and me.

Not sure exactly what model, etc., since it's at home and I'm in The Dark Tower . . . .

post-21-70857-IMG_0616.JPG

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 16 2008,12:37)

Here's a pic of the camera and me.

Not sure exactly what model, etc., since it's at home and I'm in The Dark Tower . . . .

Yes, it's a Powershot SX100 IS.  I picked one up at Staples today at their $200 sale price.  The guy asked if I wanted to supplement the Mfg's 1 year warranty with Staples' 2 year in-house warranty.  I said, "No, those store warranties are a waste of money."  (I've seen studies that say places like Sears and Best Buy make more off their warranty than selling the item in the first place. )

Anyway, the guy says, "Let me explain what our warranty will do."  He goes on to explain that it doubles the product warranty AND gives me $199 credit for 2 years.  If at any time I want to give the camera back to them I get my purchase price knocked off any other camera in the store.  Not only that, but I could use that $199 to buy a printer, office chair or whatever.  If there wasn't anything I wanted in the store I would get a $199 Staples gift card.  And the camera doesn't have to be broken.  I can return it at any time in the next two years and get store credit.  

So in essence, I'm renting the camera for two years for $35 (the price of the warranty).  I will be upgrading to a new camera before the warranty runs out.  Granted, they have my $200, but I was going to spend that anyway.

Sounds like a nice way to put a down payment on a camera - and you get a brand new one to use for a while.

Speaking of warranty service. My Sony camcorder ( HC-??) stopped working on Haloween. Just went black but would still record sound. It has been a great video camera - about 5 years old, a little abused but still working fine.

After a little digging I discovered that there was an issue with the CCD chip on a bunch of models. Went to Sony's site and they had a big bulletin in the support area describing the problem, steps for verification and an easy way to start the return/fix process. I got an email with a shipping label within 15 minutes. Sent it off and recieved my fixed video camera within a couple weeks. I was pretty impressed.

A few days after my camera went out, my dads old Canon Powershot a75 did the same thing - black display. Turns out, Sony manufactures a good portion of the CCD's used by all the manufacturers( It looks like Canon is one of the few that make their own now). Canon had a similar system for repairing the camera and it is back in action now.

So, if you have a camera that is a few years old and the display goes black, check this website out and see if your model is listed. There are links to Konica, Minolta, Nikon, Sony,Fuji and Olympus cameras affected by the issue as well.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05100602..._ccdproblem.asp

Laguna Niguel, CA