IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How do I store Palm Seeds?

Antonino Giglio

Few months ago I bought many varieties of Palm Seeds and here is now warm because of the summer. With air conditioning I can keep the inside temperature around 24/26 degrees celcius but what concerns me is the humidity.

I guess it would be better to store the palm seeds in paper bags, inside the plastic drawer I'm keeping them. At the moment they are stil in their original plastic bags.

Any suggestions? I aready throw away one whole batch as some insect that eat the seeds grew inside and few other seeds from other batches as the mould killed them.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon

http://vision4ourcities.wordpress.com/

Antonino,

Welcome to the IPS Forum!

Palm seeds lose viability over time, and how quickly they lose viability depends on the species. Some lose it very quickly, and others will last longer. Instead of simply keeping them in their original plastic bags, why not put them in either baggies with some moist germinationg medium, or in plastic containers. That way, whatever seeds are still viable will hopefully germinate. The longer you wait, the less chance of germination.

What palm species did you get seeds of?

Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii!

Bo-Göran

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dear Antonino  :)

a warm welcome to our palmtalk family !  :)

And as for the storage goes the best will be any envelope or a transparent plastic bag(Ziplock type)..But as Bo Goran has pointed out the sooner you put the seeds in their germinating beds its better.For seeds storage..store it in a cool & dry dark place.it is better the seeds do not get light from the sunlight.

And for long term storage try dusting it with mild fungicide and if you have red ants them better dust with anti-ants powder.

hope this helps !

lots of love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(bgl @ Jan. 05 2008,17:04)

What palm species did you get seeds of?

Thanks to all for the Welcome!

Actually I bought many seeds from overseas, 100 seeds for each plant (as this was the mininum).

Number of different species? Well, I think over 60 different plants... well, not just palms also cycads, agaves and more...

I know I know ... I think I got too many.

So the trouble now is that I cannot grow all of them toghether. Even if I would grow one species I would stell need to grow 100 plants.

I bought the seeds to grow plants to sell but I don't have a nursery, just my small backyard.

I thought I could store the seeds for up to a couple of years...

So, facing the truth, what is the best thing I can do now?

Dear Antonino  :)

you have 2 options about such a huge stock of seeds...find any nurseries who buy seeds for their oun use.say retain aoung 25 or 50 seeds in each for your use,depends what infrastructure you can support right at this moment.by this method all your fresh seeds have the ablity to germinate with you and in other nurseries where you have sold the remaining seeds.

another method will be to preserve the seeds in a nice safe & dry-dark room and use them in stages every 2 weeks or so.but use it before 2 to 3 months time since one can't be shure how long those seeds were sitting idol with the main dealer from whom you had bought.

And if you put out your palm seeds list may be the experienced persons of this forum will give you suggestions on their viability & shelf life period !

And a personal question to you,are you up to start a nursery in your place ? since the seeds quantity looks likes that !

lots of love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Yes, I'm starting up a sort of a nursery, sell plants for houses, gardens and rooftops...

But I thought the space I have in my backyard was enough but I'm now realizing is not! Ah ah ah...

So will try to do my best and maybe find another house to rent with a big garden! :)

Here is the list of the seeds I have:

PALMS

Acanthophoenix rubra

Adonidia merrillii

Alloschimida glabrata

Archonotophenix alexandrae

Arenga engleri

Arenga tremula

Bismarkia nobilis (Mayotte)

Bismarkia nobilis (Silver)

Brahea armata

Calyptrocalyx albertisianus

Chamadorea elegans

Chamadorea microspadix

Chamadorea metallica

Chamadorea sifrizii

Chamadorea tepejilote

Chamberyronia macrocarpa

Cyrtostachys renda

Dypsis cabadae

Dypsis decaryi

Dypsis interrupta

Dypsis leptocheilos

Hydriastele wendlandiana

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis

Licuala grandis

Licuala orbicularis

Livistonia chinensis

Macrozamia miquellii

Phoenix canarensis

Phoenix dactylifera

Phoenix roebelenii

Pinanga coronata

Pinanga polimorpha

Rhapis humilis

Rhapis excelsa

Sabal minor

Stelitzia nicolai

Strelitzia reginae

Trachycarpus fortunei

Wallichia disticha

CYCADS

Cycas revoluta

Cycas siamensis

Cycas siamensis (Dwarf form)

AGAVES

Agave chiapensis

Agave colorata

Agave guiengola

Agave horrida ssp. horrida

Agave hurteri

Agave macrocantha

Agave mckeleyana

Agave ocahui

Agave semanniana

Agave striata

Agave stricta (Rubra)

Agave victoria-reginae

Agave vivipara

OTHER PLANTS

Beaucarnea gracilis

Beaucarnea guatelmalensis

Cordyline australis (Purpurea)

Fufcraea macdougalii

Yucca rigida

Phormium tenax (Nigrum)

Phormium tenax (Purpureum)

Phormium tenax (Rubrum)

Phormium tenax (Variegatum)

Any help??? :-)

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rather than risk your seeds losing their viability and end up with nothing for all your troubles.  I'd suggest that you just start germinating them in immediately.

They won't all "pop up" immediately anyway and you can still keep them in the compot stage for some time.  You can also get a better idea of how much space you will be needing and figure out solving that problem then.

I think its a better problem to have too many plants that you would know whet to do with than to havr no plants at all.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

• 7 years later...

the storage depends on the palm seeds if it is recalcitrant seeds seeds or orthodox seeds
Most dypsis, licuala, livistona etc are rainforest plant, so they are recalcitrant seeds
Phoenix, butia, washingtonia etc are living in dry environment, so they are orthodox seeds

Phoenix dactylifera is the longest living seeds in the world, an 2000 years old seeds still germinate and planted

• 5 years later...
On 3/11/2021 at 4:48 AM, hanapalm said:

Might be to start your own post. Instead of asking questions on another persons thread. Might get more of a response.