IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

THE FARM 3

Tad

run for your life ahhhhhhh

post-18-1207517020_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

tiiimmmmmbbbbeeerrrrrrrrrr

post-18-1207517060_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

one more after this and we call it a day

post-18-1207517102_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

a little quick haircut

post-18-1207517143_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Theres a house in there? who knew?

post-18-1207517189_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

my next challenge after this is to thin this mess out and whip it into shape

post-18-1207517255_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

a little progress, here a little progress there, slowly but surely it will take shape.

post-18-1207517317_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

hey dont know if u want some ideas but here goes :P

Some bougainvilleas trained to grow only a certain height will look good :D

Thanks but I am a complete bouganvilla hater, I think I am going to plant some livistona decoras that I have ,some bismarcks and some mazari palms, maybe a few foxtails, I am trying to use some material that I dont have a whole lot of in other parts of the yard, and bougianvillas are the scourge, thorny nasty stuff, if I am gonna have thorns it's gonna be on a palm!

post-18-1207518780_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

the last one of the day

post-18-1207518857_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

flying palms

post-18-1207518901_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Brads trailer is finally loaded,

post-18-1207518959_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

another step closer.

post-18-1207519004_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

lol hmmm just a thought :D haha um thats cool will foxtails live here i mean i heard they are weeds and all this and that....hahaha im looking for some seedlings since mine are all seeds just sprouting and dead who knows but im still watering them to see if they ever grow :P

here they are....the left ones little spikes and thats it but they look dead

DSC08671.jpg

also here is another pic of the canna on the right and its progress in 1 week :D

DSC08702.jpg

also some plumeria cuttings i got from hawaii :D they are red,white,pink, and orange

Wow Tad, that sure cleared out that corner of the drive...  look forward to seeing what you do with the area...  Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

so does my wife! yikes, heh heh always easier to ask forgiveness than permission, I will have it all jungled up again by summers end. may have to promise sprinkler system to keep the peace tho!!

Abraham Lincoln

tooo bad my babys momma dont think so, :)

Abraham Lincoln

Wow, nice workday! That roebelinni's left in the corner? of dug them also up?

Robbin

Southwest

all robys come out next weekend!

Abraham Lincoln

(palmotrafficante @ Apr. 05 2008,15:04)

Martin came back a few minutes later and we had to adjust the load, which I didnt take pictures of but should have, it consisted of removing the camper top and dropping the single phoenix in nex to the double, and re attching the top,..martin called a few minutes ago to say all is well and he was on his way back to san angelo!

A big warm south Texas Thank you to Martin!

hope you make it back ok and thanks for the business!!

Tad

It was great meeting Tad, and getting a load of very nice palms.  Once they are all in the ground tomorrow I will post some photos.

To finish the story, I left Tad's and all was going well until I got about 100 miles away and encountered an overpass that is several inches higher than the surface of Hwy 281.  The unmarked bump did a great job of shifting the load so much that the trailer fishtailed at highway speed.

The W. filifera on top of the pyramid slid back and both P. dactyliferas did as well leaving the trailer tail heavy.  I had to stop and put the 300 pound filifera back on top by myself, and slide the 400 lb dacts forward too.

That worked for awhile, but about every 10 miles the dacts would slide back, and the trailer would start getting loose.  That would cause one of the dacts to start rolling side to side, making the trailer barely controllable.

I finally wound up taking dirt off the bottom of the rootballs, and packed  it between them to keep them from rolling, tied one to the side of the trailer, and put my cooler behind them to keep them from sliding backwards.  That fixed the problem permanently, and the rest of the trip was uneventful.

I meant to get a photo of the P. loureirii (humilis) before we unloaded them from the bed of the truck, but forgot.  Sorry Tad.

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

sorry to hear you had a rough time of it Martin, glad to hear you made it home safe!

Abraham Lincoln

Tad,

What were the two cycads you gave me?  I forgot the name.

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

dioon edule

Abraham Lincoln

:)

post-1-11169-DSC06476.JPG

That's sweet Tad. That's what I want, gimme gimme dat thing.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, you come on over and I will pack it up and put it in your bag as a gift!

Abraham Lincoln

I always enjoy getting caught up on this thread, just finished reading the last 10 ish pages and wow is all I can say...  great job...

Tad, Have any more of those decoras left?

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

Allen, I have a lot of decoras!

come down and see sometime! :)

my first pic here is my Bismarckia is beginning to bloom,

post-18-1208215618_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

my orchids a blooming

post-18-1208215661_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

so is my ponytail

post-18-1208215706_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Ginger

post-18-1208215748_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

hey tad remember u told me about the ponytail seeds....u still got some??? or will get some from yours :P um ok well hey i was wondering does a bizmarckia have a male and female??? ok well just wondering and ill PM ya some other stuff :D

dact blooms

post-18-1208216626_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

filifera blooms and seed

post-18-1208216705_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Palmo lives.  Been missing ya dude.  Figured springtime at the farm  and PalmTalk was more than you could handle at one time. - k

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Heeee Heeeee first new photo on the new format B)

the bizzie continues to flower!

the stinger! ;) ....dont know if its a he or she, there is another not too far from here at a friends house I will compare them later!

wow this is weird dean, the rooms spinning and everythings feeling kinda groovy!

post-18-1208566012_thumb.jpg

post-18-1208566093_thumb.jpg

post-18-1208566112_thumb.jpg

Edited by palmotrafficante

Abraham Lincoln

whats up tad wow this new format is crazy all new and stuff :P hahah ok well just passing by and have a great weekend :D im gonna lay some new grass and landscape my yard woooo got any freebies lying around :P hahha ok well laters and this new format is real cool :P

Heeee Heeeee first new photo on the new format B)

the bizzie continues to flower!

the stinger! ;) ....dont know if its a he or she, there is another not too far from here at a friends house I will compare them later!

wow this is weird dean, the rooms spinning and everythings feeling kinda groovy!

hey hope your freind has the other bizzy sex and u have the other :D that would be awesome for u :D have your own stock of seeds :D

update on bizzie spear

and of the ponytail bloom

Abraham Lincoln