IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

THE FARM 3

Tad

osha dont show up now!

post-18-1202482909_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

getting the shade cloth situated

post-18-1202482940_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

adjusting the shadecloth here and there and getyting ready to go park this baby underneath the trees!

post-18-1202482991_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Well, darn, I got lost in this puzzle somehow, but I did find Cleveland TX on the map, and sounds like a nice burb outside of Houston. Also near the Trinity wildlife preserve and sounds close to nature. It will be interesting to see this process continue from A to Z.

Dick

Richard Douglas

(palmotrafficante @ Feb. 08 2008,07:32)

here is a hint as to where these palms are going.

I thought they were going to screen out a cheap cosmetics plant somewhere... :P

David-- best of luck with that truckload! Post some pics of them in the ground.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

oh its not just that load, 2 more to go with, but I wont bore with the details;)

Abraham Lincoln

polycarbonate going up

post-18-1202493596_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

this side already "glassed" in

post-18-1202493635_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

track on waiting for shade and poly

post-18-1202493670_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I know of a Palm Vendor on the east side of the Highway 59 in Cleveland, Texas. I live in Longview, Texas a little north of there.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

? ? ? ? ?

yeah but these are direct from the source!

Abraham Lincoln

load them up!

post-18-1202502697_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

the loadall in all its glory

post-18-1202502746_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

makes it look easy  :)

post-18-1202502783_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

next to the last one

post-18-1202502822_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

and here comes the last one!!

post-18-1202502863_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

the back side of the dunkin house(my drive by shot from earlier)

post-18-1202502920_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

gggrrrrrrrrrr I hate weeds, and we get a LOT of them a huge drawback of using our raw water!

post-18-1202508175_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

ahhhhh, now isnt that a little more pleasant to look at?

post-18-1202508227_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

the magical implement known as a field cultivator

post-18-1202508282_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

rear view,

post-18-1202508385_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

before

post-18-1202508422_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

after, this is one of my favorite implements on the farm.

saves on herbicide bill tooo! :)

post-18-1202508483_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

chinese fan palms the last of the load for the big gig

post-18-1202509376_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

great coverage Tad. never seen such tall washys being field dug and moved!

would these require a large bracing system?

I loko forward to watching this order get planted in it new home.

love the additional greenhouse.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

not tooo bad, just some stout 2x4's we will detail all that when it comes time to plant.

Abraham Lincoln

I cant wait to get these to my place and start seeing the design come to fruition. The tall washys will be placed in amongst some hugh magnolias that are growing around our pond. Our 200ft drive will be lined with sabals, the different Phoenix sp. will be background plantings and some canopy, the butias and braheas will make some nice group plantings and I have two 12ft mules for the front of the house. We also have 100 silver saws and needles for understory plantings. I have been searching for decumbens for a while so I'm jazzed that Tad could provide some. This is a dream come true.

David Glover

Growing cold hardy palms and tropicals in Coldspring, Tx

http://www.tejastropicals.com

(Tejastropicals @ Feb. 08 2008,19:29)

I cant wait to get these to my place and start seeing the design come to fruition. The tall washys will be placed in amongst some hugh magnolias that are growing around our pond. Our 200ft drive will be lined with sabals, the different Phoenix sp. will be background plantings and some canopy, the butias and braheas will make some nice group plantings and I have two 12ft mules for the front of the house. We also have 100 silver saws and needles for understory plantings. I have been searching for decumbens for a while so I'm jazzed that Tad could provide some. This is a dream come true.

looking at the tall washie picks, now you see why its important to have good  equipment skytrack,loadall,telehandler!

man no pressure now :cool:

the hard part is from now till we leave saturday night, I wont sleep much and will worry all the way up!

Abraham Lincoln

No pressure huh. I ended up with a backhoe, I hope that will handle the washys and the monster butia lying on the ground here waiting for your loving touch to plant. If not call me ??? It doesnt look like your crew has slept much the last week either.

David Glover

Growing cold hardy palms and tropicals in Coldspring, Tx

http://www.tejastropicals.com

it would be ideal, any chance it has a hook welded to the bucket? rentals never have hooks welded to the bucket, why is that?

Abraham Lincoln

WOW, look at that rootball compared to the guy's head in post 454!

Very nice David, and nice score on the 12 ft mules. I can't wait to see some pics of them...Hell I can't wait to see them all planted. I hope one of those trees don't fall off here in Houston on the way ;)

(Tejastropicals @ Feb. 08 2008,19:43)

It doesnt look like your crew has slept much the last week either.

the diggers have an order of 6 for in the morning, Juan will run the field culivator until they load and then work till lunch, the diggers were already off to get hammered this afternoon,only one or 2 will be here to dig the mornings order. they come back online sunday to dig 100 washies for spring gardens in houston, which will load out on monday and be on tomatoe tuesday morning. I hope to keep this momentum all thru spring and into summer, the week after next its 5000 cuttings to stick in the new house, and I am going to try and do some wamin bamboo as well. also need to find 5000 washie one gallons to fill order for another grower!

I LOVE IT WHEN WE ARE SWAMPED!

Abraham Lincoln

cycads, these are not mine, but I wish they were

post-18-1202519042_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

thats a whopper caudex

post-18-1202519106_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

a few more desirables

post-18-1202519159_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

another

post-18-1202519212_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I forgot one thing, inbetween now and the arrival of the cuttings the irrigation system in the mist house will have to be modified as well, i think this is supposed to be whats going in. a little overkill but what a sweeet unit!

post-18-1202519417_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

(palmotrafficante @ Feb. 07 2008,18:00)

OF COURSE THEY GREW FROM A SEED!

They look like wild collected to me..

(Palmetro @ Feb. 08 2008,20:56)

(palmotrafficante @ Feb. 07 2008,18:00)

OF COURSE THEY GREW FROM A SEED!

They look like wild collected to me..

they still grew from seed

Abraham Lincoln