IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

THE FARM 3

Tad

Luke

If I remember my camera, there's a Royal about two miles west of me in West University Place (near

SW Houston) that has been in the ground for maybe five years (that I have been able to see above an

8' fence) and is probably 25' tall. We froze last year, but the previous four years averaged were 10a here.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

i jave sent various royals to H town thru friends and customers, havent checked back on them in a while, Livingston Tx nursery oreded a couple this morning, and conroe usually takes 10 ro 20 at a time,

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

it could be, I personally am acountable for about 8 to 10 thousand a year just in one gallons

lol hmmm i just got about 31 - 3 foot washingtonias from walmart.....tad......all for 31 plus tax wooo lol i wasnt going to get them but my cousin wanted to check out some plants that i am going to landscape his house.....he liked how i did my yard and wants his landscaped as well :D then i see them there marked for a $1 a pop i got real happy(soo tad is that a good price???) anyways take care and thanks again for the palms :D anytime u wanna help out again :P holler at me and ill be there :P

Everything is cheaper in the USA. I'm envy :P

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

not everything pivi, I remember in ukraine, it cost more to drink water than it would have to drink vodka!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

Tad, please come up here and plant 10,000 Washingtonias in my town so we can look like the valley too. :mrlooney:

I've done a few covert plantings but I'm just one small time guy.

jim just start flipping seed in every flower bed with a sprinkler system on it, like all the mickey d's etc just collect a big bag of seed, not hard to do and start flipping them out all over town!

Abraham Lincoln

Great idea, I will do that!! My washies aren't seeding yet, they are only about 8 ft tall (3-4 yrs old) so I will have to acquire some seeds elsewhere until mine put out seeds. My office has some 40 footers but the seeds are so high, I don't know if I can get em. Guess I will just covertly "borrow" some seeds off someones trees.

Edited by syersj

just sweep them up off the ground,

Abraham Lincoln

should be good for a while

Abraham Lincoln

my 20 foot washy just started seeting seeds again :P never picked them up off the ground and the seeds never germed but then again they are mixed in with the grass so maybe they just blend in thre :P

swamp cooler is up and running, drops temp about 10 degrees, we only have one fan running right now, been a long hot sweaty day!

post-18-1210288279_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210288309_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210288336_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210288369_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

thermostats guts as they get installed

post-18-1210288491_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210288514_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210288582_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

when this is all done I am going to get some bromeliads and spiff the inside up!!

Abraham Lincoln

did a little landscaping this afternoon, a row of livistona decoras and some little clumped christmas palms, behind this area I am going to dump a bunch of fishtails, and royals..with some other stuff thrown in here and there...Giant red banana's, etc etc for a big flush jungle look.

post-18-1210379904_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210379935_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210379966_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

also transplanted a spindle palm, hope it makes it this one survived the snow in 04

post-18-1210380169_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

re-landscaping the side drive using some livistona decoras, and some livistona sp? australis I think if anybody has a guess feel frre to chime in , the pygmy dates were exsisting but are removed for relocation here in just a few minutes.

post-18-1210442517_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210442539_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210442560_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210442589_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

using some field grown royals, decoras in place and here come 2 more mystery livistonas!

post-18-1210442737_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210442757_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210442774_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

a few more shots, driving across the grass always upsest the wife, ooppps but honey its for the greater good!

post-18-1210446869_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210446890_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210446914_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210446952_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

will put up big water rings till its all heaked in then come back ..fine grading and understory stuff still to come

post-18-1210447087_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210447110_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210447136_thumb.jpg

Edited by palmotrafficante

Abraham Lincoln

the big roebellinis get consolidated into 2, 95g containers until they are sold or I decide to re use them in the landscape.

post-18-1210448460_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

just sweep them up off the ground,

Tad, did what you said and picked up a bunch of Washy seeds off the ground. But these seeds have probably been on the ground for 6 months or more, since last year sometime at least. Do you think they are still good? Have you had good germination rates with older washy seeds. If not, how fresh do they have to be. Suppose I could just throw em in a pot and see how they germinate. Or should I wait for this years batch of seeds.

give them a whirl, but fresh seeds are better and soon be available in an abundance

Abraham Lincoln

I picked up about 100 seeds from 2 different Washies. There were literally thousands of them laying around. I then cleaned off the seeds and put them in warm water, and discarded the floaters. They looked fairly viable, some were newer than others. This will be my first washy germination attempt. Maybe I will start a separate thread on the progress to not hijack this one...thanks...

Edited by syersj

syersi, washy are like weeds :P just sow them and they will germ no problem :P i got some old potting soil and i stuck a fig cutting and several washy seeds started germing :P

I agree Xavier, I've had many washy seeds land in my potted palms and just germinate and grow right there! Washy's and canary's as well. As far as I'm concerned they're both weeds if they pop up in my other plants!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

hey but those weeds are worth money :P so they arent "bad" weeds they are "good" weeds :D

not everything pivi, I remember in ukraine, it cost more to drink water than it would have to drink vodka!

don't know about that... here bottle of water costs around 1.25 US$ and bottle of vodka cost around 15US$ (the cheapest one).

1 liter of gasoline is 2.15 us$ which is 8 dollars a gallon.

sorry for of topic

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

Dear Tad :)

i do not have words in praise of your work,my reference is to your farm.great job and its clear that you are putting all those 100% to that line of work.and iam very envious about your dedication... :)

viewing this thread page after page reminds about our famous epic called ramayana & mahabaratha...or for that matter homar & iliad epics from europe...

whatever we name it,i simply bow down to your dedication & love for plants(Palms)!

I think you are an inspiration to all would be nursery guys & whole sale farm growers..iam shure many from different continents have already made up their mind to do something that you have already established over these years..

And iam reminded of my grand-dad,who always kept telling me that,always do what pleases you and while doing that work give 100% of your concentration to that work.He is no more but iam seeing what he has said in visual form in your thread ! Double thumbs-up to you my friend. :)

thanks for the lovely visuals,

lots of love to you & your kids,

Kris :)

And by the way the thread_"The Farm" should be called as the epic of this forum !

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris, namaste! I thank you for your kind words, I am preparing to got to San Antnio Texas to oversee the moving of 2 very large olive trees, if it all goes well I will post pictures! meanwhile here are some quick pics from the new improved green house.

For all of you who read these pages a great big THANK YOU! feel free to reply/chime in etc!.

these 3 pics are 2 trays of croton cuttings I made from some that I had around the house.

the next one is a seed pod from one of my orchids.

post-18-1210722195_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210722213_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210722236_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

some orchids staghorn ferns and tree ferns

post-18-1210722347_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210722373_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210722392_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210722414_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Can anybody identify this palm? I brought it back from one of my mexico trips and its done quite well.

it is really thorny underneath.

post-18-1210723053_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210723072_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210723091_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210723114_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

conditions next to cooling pad :)

post-18-1210723238_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

loaded up with diesel this morning for the road trip, 2.08 cents per gallon! :) highway rip off convient stores kiss my rear end!

viva mexico!

post-18-1210723310_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

male? female? no idea, I gues it doesnt matter much since the next closest bizzie is 8 years away from being bloomong size!

post-18-1210724128_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210724150_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210724170_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210724192_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I am thinking it may be a male Bizzy . I have a female and I have never seen little flowers on the inflorescence as your photo shows.

Made it to San Antonio about 6:30 in the morning, wild lightning storm and some rain, but not enuff to stop job.

these to european olive trees are well over 100 years old,they were brought in from california.

my Job was to get them loaded on an 18 wheeler so they can be sent to a jobsite in Houston !

They each weigh somewhere between 8 to 10,000 pounds each. they have been sitting in this mulch bed for about 6 months!

post-18-1210854370_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210854399_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210854421_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210854444_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

after getting the crane in place,and doing some quick figuring, surveying the fence and hedge which the owner didnt want damaged, we get the first tree wrapped and get the straps in place

post-18-1210854686_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210854718_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210854739_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210854764_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

FLYING OLIVE TREES SPOTTED IN SWANKY SUMMER GLEN NEIGHBORHOOD!

post-18-1210854882_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210854907_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210854937_thumb.jpg

post-18-1210854965_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln