IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

THE FARM 3

Tad

if you can make out the falcon in this picture has a nest built in the tower at one of our fields,

post-18-1201716191_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

this is what happens when you have no zoning restrictions!

fortunately this guy is not my neighbor, but I couldnt resist taking a picture of his castle.

it used to look alot better but it burned while he was away at prison camp, now he is rebuilding it.

post-18-1201716318_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

I love the idea of having ditches to flood....  And that 5g earth auger is freaking awesome!  Your guys are keeping busy, keep up the good work Tad...  One day, your gonna have to post a google earth picture of the entire farm...  It would be an interesting view.  :D

this is from 4 or 5 years back, the google earth picture is old and not near as cool.

Wow, the roads not paved, all the washies are sold and gone now, the new shade house is not there, the propagation house isnt there.

man seems like a lifetime ago.

post-18-1201717273_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Your gonna hafta rent a helicopter or something and do some comparison photos!  

Maybe someone has a paid subscription to Google Earth and could take some screenshots for us?  Any volunteers?

(palmotrafficante @ Jan. 30 2008,12:46)

I hope this is the LAST time I have to replace the meter and can.

Now somebody will probably RUN off the road out front,and hit it! :P

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

That Bizzie/Med fence line is going to look killer.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

(freakypalmguy @ Jan. 30 2008,14:02)

I hope so, the bizzies are on 10 to 12 foot centers, I hope to wall myself off from reality :P

Abraham Lincoln

(palmotrafficante @ Jan. 19 2008,11:51)

despite me chopping it down and snacking on its heart this washie just keeps on growing

Whats the deal with that washy? Is it an experiment or something?

Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Zone 9a, 2 blocks from the Bay, 1.5 miles from the Gulf of Mexico

No where near frost free.. But hopefully someday when I move further south..

07/08 Extreme Low 24.9F

(feef706 @ Jan. 30 2008,22:36)

(palmotrafficante @ Jan. 19 2008,11:51)

despite me chopping it down and snacking on its heart this washie just keeps on growing

Whats the deal with that washy? Is it an experiment or something?

I intend on clearing that area and replanting with other palms,it is a volunteer so we cut it down and ate it as heart of plam,(see farm 2 thread )well, I guess we didnt get quite all the heart because it has begun to grow again, so I will probobly not give it the chop but move it later in the spring and summer, double jeoprody  and all!

Abraham Lincoln

(palmotrafficante @ Jan. 30 2008,14:28)

(freakypalmguy @ Jan. 30 2008,14:02)

I hope so, the bizzies are on 10 to 12 foot centers, I hope to wall myself off from reality :P

Good luck. I have been trying for years.  Gave up on plants for that role, now trying Merlot.   :D  :D  :D

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith so far so good, I tried it with Dewars for a few years but it just didnt work out for me, plants are 10,000X100,000 times better! I like to think of it as the farm is my very own life sized action play set!

Abraham Lincoln

Finally the suns out, its drying up and I can get some orders squared away!

post-18-1201897906_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

tying up the heads, this customer prefers a semi full head.

post-18-1201897950_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

:)

post-18-1201898007_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

digging these up usually takes about 15 minutes each tree

post-18-1201898072_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Sylvestris and monkey for scale,

post-18-1201898128_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

we recieved 18 yards of potting soil today, so we load this trailer with it and pot up out of the trailer in my ultra cheap potting shade area!!

post-18-1201898240_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

backing the loaded trailer under the shade,

its hard to see but Juan is standing on a chair so that Manuel can see him for direction on backing the trailer in the right direction. :D

post-18-1201898282_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I used lumite ground cloth for the shade on this structure!

post-18-1201898417_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

we flip the side of the trailer open and use some 4x4 post pieces to prop it up as a table!

This trailers former use was for feeding cotton seed to cows!

post-18-1201898509_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

:)

post-18-1201898536_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

:)  the other side flips down just like this, you can use it anywhere, if we decide we want to plant closer to one of the other houses.

post-18-1201898606_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

the remainder of the potting soil gets covered under a veavy tarp so it does not blow away.

I plan on constructing a bin for the stuff later on this year, just waiting for the right time. ($$$$$) :;):

post-18-1201898724_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

clearing and consolidating some space,

post-18-1201905871_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

need to make room for about 3000 gallons

post-18-1201905917_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

we are bumping up the first batch of olives in the morning.

post-18-1201905981_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I hope to get about 2500 to 3000 out of the first batch of cuttings we started

post-18-1201906052_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

they are rooted out and ready for the bump

post-18-1201906128_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

a new experiment, i am going to try my hand at some bromeliads.

post-18-1201906206_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Another load getting ready to head out, this truck will be in San Antonio first thing monday morning, Thanks to palm buddah nursery in S.A. TX.

post-18-1201971144_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

post-18-1201971184_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

post-18-1201971216_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

SSSSSSTTTTTTRRRRRREEEEETTTTTTCCCCCCCHHHHHH wrap

post-18-1201971258_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

God bless the inventor of stretch wrap!!

post-18-1201971326_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

and aaaawwwwaaaayyyyy we go! :P

post-18-1201971372_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Olive plugs afixin to be planted in 1 gallon pots.

This is going to be a very busy week, I have 3 trucks to loadout in preperation for the first major adventure of the season!

rain, and weather have screwed up scheduling along with switching around plans and other uncontrollables, so we are working thru the weekend to accomodate evrybodys palm and plant needs!

post-18-1201971537_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

another batch of plugs

post-18-1201972587_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

planting them in gallons

post-18-1201972618_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

some are still green, but have no root initiation, so these will be re-stuck in perlite for a second chance.

post-18-1201972680_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln