IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

THE FARM 3

Tad

copernicia

post-18-1200761560_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

So how about the orchids, please? They HAD to come from Mexico or extream S. Texas.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Now Dick do I look like the type who would remove plants from the wild and keep them at home to preform for my enjoyment like so many circus monkeys?

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

(palmotrafficante @ Jan. 19 2008,12:16)

Now Dick do I look like the type who would remove plants from the wild and keep them at home to preform for my enjoyment like so many circus monkeys?

I don't believe for a minute you would do that, you would not keep them at home, you would keep them on the farm.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Dick, I dont honestly know the names of the orchids and thats gospel, they are native  to upper elevations of Tamaulipas,and san luis potosi. the little yellow flowered ones and the ones we started calling onion bulps were epiphytic(sp?) the corn cob one was growing on the ground.   and yes they dont seem to mind the cool weather.

Abraham Lincoln

look familiar?

post-18-1200795505_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Dick, you really think that about me?

post-18-1200795631_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Oweeee! Bad on me.........Such a picture of modesty and innocence. Now, about those orchids, and I know this is off subject, but I find this very interesting.

I'm pretty sure the orchids you pictured in flower and bud is the same species that I collected in S. Georgia over 40 years ago, except yours looks much more robust than the smaller growing ones in Ga. It's been a long time ago, but the ones we found were growing in an unusual rock formation near Broxton Ga. There was a name for the place because it was so unusual for that part of Ga. They were growing in a limestone depression that had vertical walls much higher than our heads and water was dripping along the cliffs.

It must have been cold the night before because I remember large icicles hanging down from the vertical walls. My buddy and I had heard about this place and that there was a epiphytic orchid growing there. They were growing on the limestone walls and also growing low at the base of trunks of small oaks trees where it was moist. We thought it was very unusual to find an epiphyte growing this far north in Georgia.

We collected some of the small orchids and I remember growing them for several years. They had pale green flowers and if given more sun they had outlines of maroon on the edge of the petals. They seemed to like a lot of moisture and grew better in part shade.

The mystery to me is....how did these orchids find their way to such a northerly location and so far from Mexico? I don't pretend to know much about orchids, although I've tortured quite a few in my lifetime, but maybe someone out there knows what species this is.

I do remember there was a breeder in N. Calif. who was using this orchid as a parent to instill cold hardiness and color and larger flowers in an epiphyte.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick, all I know is that the little yellow flower orchid grows like gangbusters in that part of the world, is it native? I would say so but dont know for sure, you need an expert like travis or zac to fill in the blanks on the orchids.

Abraham Lincoln

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, not a bad start for January, I got 2 projects out of the way, one was planned the other sorta just popped into my head.

Some visitors and guests of the farm hvae the habit of backing over my water meter, this water meter is in my opinion really hard to hit, but after the 5th or 6th time I decided to fix all that!

the little black dot in the back is the meter can

post-18-1201713416_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

adjusting the slope and removing the bermuda grass

post-18-1201713658_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

different angle

post-18-1201713699_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

give'er hell manuel!!

post-18-1201713754_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I decided that this back fence line could use some palms, and that since it was an out of the way spot it would be perfect for the Acrocomias

post-18-1201713849_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

and some med fans

post-18-1201713905_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

5 gallon size hole in 5 seconds :)

post-18-1201713953_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

one of my favorite tools here on the farm.

post-18-1201714008_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

livistona decora watching its new home being dug

post-18-1201714074_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

almost done, I am trying to mix in some palms that I dont already have in the landscape, so I used some livistona australis the acrocomias and then some old faithful royals and med fans.

It's hard to see now but in 2 or 3 years my neighbors wont be visible!

post-18-1201714122_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

this and the railroad ties should keep people from running over the meter when they back up in the area we call the turnaround

post-18-1201714372_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

add a little mulch to keep the weeds in check

post-18-1201714453_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

mulching around the meter, these ties that are instaled are a full 4 feet in the ground , they are abnormally long ties, should keep people from hitting the meter can

post-18-1201714758_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

(Exotic Life @ Jan. 30 2008,12:33)

Nice work!

thank you robbin

Abraham Lincoln

looking back towards the south

post-18-1201714888_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

100% pure mesquite mulch

post-18-1201714950_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

down on this end the north side I have less space to work with , so I used a buch of old multi washingtonias and cuban royals to block my view

post-18-1201715136_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I hope this is the LAST time I have to replace the meter and can.

post-18-1201715218_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

dont look like much right now but wait till the end of the summer,

post-18-1201715318_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

In the spirit of balance I decided now would be as good a time as any to attack the front fence line, I had said earlier I was going to line it with Bismarckias

post-18-1201715445_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Holes ready to go

post-18-1201715505_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Tick birds giving his approval

post-18-1201715606_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

25 bismarckias

post-18-1201715648_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

25 meds

post-18-1201715704_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

nice pups on these meds

post-18-1201715746_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

laid out and ready to plant

post-18-1201715804_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

now just need a little time and some water

post-18-1201715889_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

color on bismarckias

post-18-1201715931_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I am so mad, having to water by hand , had planned on running a ditch along these palms and flooding them, the big tractor with the ditch push needs a transmission filter and John Deere wont have my make and model in from the warehouse till late thursday :angry: , oh well could be worse

post-18-1201716078_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln