IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

THE FARM 3

Tad

Steve there is nothing like taking a bunch of troubled youth, torturing them for a while and then leaving them in charge of another group of troubled youth!!

It was a great experience for me, I learned quite a bit there, not all good but I learned quite a bit!!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

update on olive cuttings, these were from a batch I got on the 16th of november.

post-18-1200070350_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

not to bad considering the cooler weather we have had.

post-18-1200070394_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I'd say I am on the right track.

post-18-1200070452_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

notice the nanners got their butts kicked by some cold dry wind we have had.

post-18-1200070536_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

uh, oh... metallicas have been moved?!?!?! and they were just put there the other day, hmmmmm I bet somthing big is a fixin to happen. ???

post-18-1200070617_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Your Dypsis looks like a Fakey ambositrae.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Another great thread, thanks for taking the time.

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

Your palm is Dypsis "fine leaf or fakey." This is a rapid grower and has taken some considerable cold in Southern California without any damage. The leaf bases are persistant and remain on the palm for some time without help and they only fully encirle the trunk for a minute period; therefore, the palm has a partial crownshaft. I love the dark green, semi-plumose leaves and bluish trunk of this species. Below is a photo taken a year or so back of this palm after about 7 years from the size you have.

D-2.jpg

(deezpalms @ Jan. 11 2008,13:24)

Your Dypsis looks like a Fakey ambositrae.

Good to know , I  have 2 I am going to plant one out this spring and see how they take Texas conditions.

Abraham Lincoln

(galveston1602 @ Jan. 11 2008,13:59)

Another great thread, thanks for taking the time.

Thanks for the support!!, I have some really cool stuff coming up  so stay tuned.

Abraham Lincoln

had another order for agave plantlets for a nursery in california.

post-18-1200174397_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

so went and picked up the last of the blooms

post-18-1200174449_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

dump them out and sort through them

post-18-1200174828_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

we dab these into a shallow bed, potting soil with quite a bit of perlite mixed in, we will soak them to hydrate them and get the stabilized, the company is taking 1500 agaves a month for the next 6 months so we have to hold them but not grow them... so the largest stuff ships first, and the smallest stuff will go out as needed, if we come up short, we will import the balance from the farm  in Mexico

post-18-1200175053_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

post-18-1200175089_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

post-18-1200175448_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

post-18-1200175496_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

well, the red nanners have had it, the wind and cold have them whipped and tattered, it's not the most ideal time of year to give them the yank but I have my reasons which will become evident after a bit :)

post-18-1200411693_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

so a quick trim,

post-18-1200411758_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

different angle

post-18-1200411871_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

ohhhh the horror and carnage :)

post-18-1200411931_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

the corpses piled high like cordwood

post-18-1200411982_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

mass grave, they can sit here for a couple of days till I figure out where to get them.

post-18-1200412054_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

a blank canvas,

post-18-1200413046_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

hmmm wonder what can I put here? :P

post-18-1200413101_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

need to clear these ties out of the way, hint, :)  hint

post-18-1200413174_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

ummmm, how bout' some dead nanners!!  :P  :P

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

ohh the nanners are still alive, and no, they wont be going back in that area.

but a good guess Dave.

Abraham Lincoln

Uhmmzzz i don't have seen picture's from you're falm with field with Phoenix rupicola's, so put some rupicola's in there, they are the beautiest from all the Phoenix species... :)

Robbin

Southwest

I have some rupicolas, but they are very small as of yet, I have not put any into the field.

perhaps this spring I will have some ready  for the field.

Abraham Lincoln

It is to cold and wet to be working on my new projects which has me in a foul mood, but my orchids are blooming!

Now these are not fancy hybrids and I am sure orchid people will sneer at them , but they are prolific little bllomers,easy to grow and I know where they came from and how I got them :;):

post-18-1200756540_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

more blooms waiting to open

post-18-1200756586_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

they were growing on a tree, but they latched on to this rock really well!

post-18-1200756677_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

:)

post-18-1200756776_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

this batch is 2 different kinds the little bulb type has not yet opened but it is sending out flower stalks, and the kind like in the previous pictures has not yet opened but will soon. they are planted in a piece of washie trunk sawed in half and scooped out, ala chainsaw!!

post-18-1200756909_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

What is that small orchid called? They look like some that used to grow in S. Georgia on some lime stone outcrops near Broxton Ga. I think it's the hardiest of the epidendrums and the common name is Fairy Orchid. I think they have been used in crosses to make more colorfull hardy hybrids. When we collected them as teenagers, it had been cold and there were huge icicles hanging down from the rocks where they grew. Those orchids are VERY cold hardy.

Dick

Richard Douglas

this is a sign I got from Bence nursery which is now defunct, and the bentsen palm farm has been defunct for a long time now, 512 area code was switched to 210 when I was in junior high, and then to the current 956 about 15 or 20 years ago. anyway some friends of mine bought a bunch of qounsets from what was the bence nursery in Harlingen Tx, and while we were there we ran across these signs....My how times change, Pletchers nursery is gone too :(

post-18-1200761397_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

stupid cold weather

post-18-1200761435_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

despite me chopping it down and snacking on its heart this washie just keeps on growing

post-18-1200761508_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln