IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

?Phoenix dactylifera/sylvestris?

gsn

I think this has been disscussed before,but I did a search and couldn't find it?

Which of these is better for our humid Florida climate dacts or sylvestris?

thanks

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Dear scott nickels  :)

the place that i live is also very similar to florida,interms of humidity but the temp is hot thought the year !

Here in South India in our house iam growing some phoenix varities..like date palms,sylversteris(they are in the ground)while the CIDP....other phoenix are in pots in our over head terrace garden..they are growing great but will the dates be edible grade that's a big doubt...since whenever it fruits here it starts to rain heavily..

here is a still of those grounded phoenix for you..

3c3f05a7.jpg

Wish you happy new-year_2008,

lots of love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Sylevestris

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

(gsn @ Jan. 05 2008,10:03)

I think this has been disscussed before,but I did a search and couldn't find it?

Which of these is better for our humid Florida climate dacts or sylvestris?

thanks

Quite a few dacts are being planted in my area (humid subtropical) and the Medjool variety is being recommended as being able to handle humidity the best.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Judging from what I've seen in Florida, go with Sylvestris.

Dacties will grow, but they look ugly, all mildewy.

They want a nice, dry climate like Kleenex, Gas Paso, or Palm Springs . . .  :P

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hey Kris,

Do you know for certain what variety is the phoenix palm in the foreground of your picture?  I like the blueness of it...  thanks, Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I kinda figured that the wild date palm would be the better choice for here,as it is from India where they have a pronouced rainy season ,with high humidity.

I do have one other question, what is the difference between the common /regular Sylvestris,and the one they call Sylvestris Robusta?

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

they no likey too much wet, see the end of the farm thread, ouch!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Tad,

I looked at the last two pages,saw no reference to Sylvestris?

Did you have a problem with these in the RGV?

To much water,humidity?

What size were they,and were they in ground or containers?

thanks

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Here's some sylvies, waaaay south Florida.

post-208-1199589993_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(gsn @ Jan. 05 2008,20:08)

Tad,

I looked at the last two pages,saw no reference to Sylvestris?

Did you have a problem with these in the RGV?

To much water,humidity?

What size were they,and were they in ground or containers?

thanks

look back 3 or 4 pages, I had a big one about 6 or 7 foot of trunk that sat in a low spot where I think it caught the funk from tooo much water standing there, in the field I had some small ones that while now are fine felt ill effects from being to wet too long, drainage is key

post-18-1199592366_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Dear Scott  :)

as tad said the sylversteris hates standing water in its feet...and to the best of my knowledge goes it hates even regular watering to its roots & leaves..

you may ask what will happen them...very simple they get all kind of fungus infestion but not as serious as the fungus that affects the CIDP.

so if you want to grow a slyversteris them see to it that at any season the roots remain clean & dry while its raining heavly..

And here is link for the visual of a robust form_

http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/shop/PhoRob.shtml

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(iamjv @ Jan. 05 2008,18:48)

Hey Kris,

Do you know for certain what variety is the phoenix palm in the foreground of your picture?  I like the blueness of it...  thanks, Jv

Dear iamjv  :)

iam glad that you liked it ! let me give you the list of phoenix line-up from starting point_1,2,3..

1. its a phoenix sylversteris_looks more like the robusta form.

2.its a claifornia date palm_rised from seeds.(blue silver one) !

3.its oman date palm_also raised from seeds.(this one is slow growing and is not visible in that above still..this more greener than the sylversteris palm..

But in search of the CIDP's,i ended up planting all tha above palms... :(

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Speaking of sylvestris, what is the difference between sylvestris and sylvestris robusta?

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I am located about 40 miles west of Houston, so naturally the humidity is fairly high here most of the time.

I did a little experimenting when planting several Sylvestris. I planted two normally, then, planted one in a berm about 18 inches high. These are all in the same area with comparable soil and treated the same, as far as watering and fertilizing. The one in the berm has grown approximately three times the size of the other two. ( all where the same size at planting and planted at the same time.) Will see if I can get a photo of them posted tomorrow, so you can see the comparison.

Marvin

Waller County, Tx.

Marvin, interesting results. I have a sylvester palm I got early in 07. after burning it chemically with fertilizer(non slow release) it stablized. however i planted it in the ground and it has basically sat and slowly pushing these 2 fronds. slower than i imagined for a 7 gallon palm.

it is also could be in more sun probably. it has a western exsposure.

however I came across some nice sylestris at a local hotel. this is also posted in my thread in the travel log forum.

IMG_2430.jpg

under some washys

IMG_2431.jpg

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

(palmdudetx @ Jan. 06 2008,21:51)

I am located about 40 miles west of Houston, so naturally the humidity is fairly high here most of the time.

I did a little experimenting when planting several Sylvestris. I planted two normally, then, planted one in a berm about 18 inches high. These are all in the same area with comparable soil and treated the same, as far as watering and fertilizing. The one in the berm has grown approximately three times the size of the other two. ( all where the same size at planting and planted at the same time.) Will see if I can get a photo of them posted tomorrow, so you can see the comparison.

Marvin

Waller County, Tx.

Here in Louisiana, where we have clayish soils and get lots of rain, we plant most everything on some kind of berm.  Usually not quite 18 inches, but at least 6 inches and up to 12 inches.  Seems to be the majic touch for most plants.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Thanks everyone for the information and suggestions.

Phoenix sylversteris it is!

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

The city (Gainesville, FL) planted a ton of both and both species seem to be doing very well.

The Silver in my yard seems to be very happy and is growing FAST in an unirrigated bed.  Plant both!

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Hi, Tank:

Here in NO. Florida, Some of the dactylifera w/ softer fuller fronds do better than Deglet Noor with its thin, straight fronds.  

I'm about to accept your kind offer of help!

Best Wishes, merrill

merrill, North Central Florida

I've got 8 Sylvestris growing now and have added 2 Dactyliferas, a Reclinata and a Canariensis. All are doing fine. Cold weather had no effect on these or the Roebeleniis or my 2 Rupicolas. Can't choose so I got some of each.  :D

I would choose Sylvestris over Dactylifera also.

Zone 9A

Dade City, FL. 

My two sylvestris are my favorite palms growing much much better than my medjool ......it is sort of limping along.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Dear iamjv & all those who have P.M me on the 3 Date palm..

here are the stills for you...

this is the 3 third phoenix palm which happens to be a date grown from seeds derived from fruits of Oman Dates..

post-108-1200065920_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hi, M@x:

Very attractive, indeed!  Around here, it is difficult to find such red fruits.

Many Thanks, merrill

merrill, North Central Florida

Thanks for the updated pics Kris.  Now we see the third data palm from Oman, looks nice and healthy.  Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

M@x,  Great shot of the bright red fruit.  Thanks.  Jv

• 13 years later...

where can I get hybrid plant/seeds of a dacty x sylvestris from a reputable site

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson