Sign in to follow this  
gsn

?Phoenix dactylifera/sylvestris?

gsn

I think this has been disscussed before,but I did a search and couldn't find it?

Which of these is better for our humid Florida climate dacts or sylvestris?

thanks

Kris

Dear scott nickels  :)

the place that i live is also very similar to florida,interms of humidity but the temp is hot thought the year !

Here in South India in our house iam growing some phoenix varities..like date palms,sylversteris(they are in the ground)while the CIDP....other phoenix are in pots in our over head terrace garden..they are growing great but will the dates be edible grade that's a big doubt...since whenever it fruits here it starts to rain heavily..

here is a still of those grounded phoenix for you..

3c3f05a7.jpg

Wish you happy new-year_2008,

lots of love,

Kris  :)

Scott Mcintosh

Sylevestris

_Keith

(gsn @ Jan. 05 2008,10:03)

I think this has been disscussed before,but I did a search and couldn't find it?

Which of these is better for our humid Florida climate dacts or sylvestris?

thanks

Quite a few dacts are being planted in my area (humid subtropical) and the Medjool variety is being recommended as being able to handle humidity the best.

DoomsDave

Judging from what I've seen in Florida, go with Sylvestris.

Dacties will grow, but they look ugly, all mildewy.

They want a nice, dry climate like Kleenex, Gas Paso, or Palm Springs . . .  :P

iamjv

Hey Kris,

Do you know for certain what variety is the phoenix palm in the foreground of your picture?  I like the blueness of it...  thanks, Jv

gsn

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I kinda figured that the wild date palm would be the better choice for here,as it is from India where they have a pronouced rainy season ,with high humidity.

I do have one other question, what is the difference between the common /regular Sylvestris,and the one they call Sylvestris Robusta?

Tad

they no likey too much wet, see the end of the farm thread, ouch!

gsn

Tad,

I looked at the last two pages,saw no reference to Sylvestris?

Did you have a problem with these in the RGV?

To much water,humidity?

What size were they,and were they in ground or containers?

thanks

DoomsDave

Here's some sylvies, waaaay south Florida.

post-208-1199589993_thumb.jpg

Tad

(gsn @ Jan. 05 2008,20:08)

Tad,

I looked at the last two pages,saw no reference to Sylvestris?

Did you have a problem with these in the RGV?

To much water,humidity?

What size were they,and were they in ground or containers?

thanks

look back 3 or 4 pages, I had a big one about 6 or 7 foot of trunk that sat in a low spot where I think it caught the funk from tooo much water standing there, in the field I had some small ones that while now are fine felt ill effects from being to wet too long, drainage is key

post-18-1199592366_thumb.jpg

Kris

Dear Scott  :)

as tad said the sylversteris hates standing water in its feet...and to the best of my knowledge goes it hates even regular watering to its roots & leaves..

you may ask what will happen them...very simple they get all kind of fungus infestion but not as serious as the fungus that affects the CIDP.

so if you want to grow a slyversteris them see to it that at any season the roots remain clean & dry while its raining heavly..

And here is link for the visual of a robust form_

http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/shop/PhoRob.shtml

love,

Kris

(iamjv @ Jan. 05 2008,18:48)

Hey Kris,

Do you know for certain what variety is the phoenix palm in the foreground of your picture?  I like the blueness of it...  thanks, Jv

Dear iamjv  :)

iam glad that you liked it ! let me give you the list of phoenix line-up from starting point_1,2,3..

1. its a phoenix sylversteris_looks more like the robusta form.

2.its a claifornia date palm_rised from seeds.(blue silver one) !

3.its oman date palm_also raised from seeds.(this one is slow growing and is not visible in that above still..this more greener than the sylversteris palm..

But in search of the CIDP's,i ended up planting all tha above palms... :(

love,

amazon exotics

Sylvestris grow better than the dacts and are more hardy here in Fla.

freakypalmguy

Speaking of sylvestris, what is the difference between sylvestris and sylvestris robusta?

Matt

palmdudetx

I am located about 40 miles west of Houston, so naturally the humidity is fairly high here most of the time.

I did a little experimenting when planting several Sylvestris. I planted two normally, then, planted one in a berm about 18 inches high. These are all in the same area with comparable soil and treated the same, as far as watering and fertilizing. The one in the berm has grown approximately three times the size of the other two. ( all where the same size at planting and planted at the same time.) Will see if I can get a photo of them posted tomorrow, so you can see the comparison.

Marvin

Waller County, Tx.

FRITO

Marvin, interesting results. I have a sylvester palm I got early in 07. after burning it chemically with fertilizer(non slow release) it stablized. however i planted it in the ground and it has basically sat and slowly pushing these 2 fronds. slower than i imagined for a 7 gallon palm.

it is also could be in more sun probably. it has a western exsposure.

however I came across some nice sylestris at a local hotel. this is also posted in my thread in the travel log forum.

IMG_2430.jpg

under some washys

IMG_2431.jpg

_Keith

(palmdudetx @ Jan. 06 2008,21:51)

I am located about 40 miles west of Houston, so naturally the humidity is fairly high here most of the time.

I did a little experimenting when planting several Sylvestris. I planted two normally, then, planted one in a berm about 18 inches high. These are all in the same area with comparable soil and treated the same, as far as watering and fertilizing. The one in the berm has grown approximately three times the size of the other two. ( all where the same size at planting and planted at the same time.) Will see if I can get a photo of them posted tomorrow, so you can see the comparison.

Marvin

Waller County, Tx.

Here in Louisiana, where we have clayish soils and get lots of rain, we plant most everything on some kind of berm.  Usually not quite 18 inches, but at least 6 inches and up to 12 inches.  Seems to be the majic touch for most plants.

gsn

Thanks everyone for the information and suggestions.

Phoenix sylversteris it is!

tank

The city (Gainesville, FL) planted a ton of both and both species seem to be doing very well.

The Silver in my yard seems to be very happy and is growing FAST in an unirrigated bed.  Plant both!

merrill

Hi, Tank:

Here in NO. Florida, Some of the dactylifera w/ softer fuller fronds do better than Deglet Noor with its thin, straight fronds.  

I'm about to accept your kind offer of help!

Best Wishes, merrill

mpanak

I've got 8 Sylvestris growing now and have added 2 Dactyliferas, a Reclinata and a Canariensis. All are doing fine. Cold weather had no effect on these or the Roebeleniis or my 2 Rupicolas. Can't choose so I got some of each.  :D

I would choose Sylvestris over Dactylifera also.

Alicehunter2000

My two sylvestris are my favorite palms growing much much better than my medjool ......it is sort of limping along.

Kris

Dear iamjv & all those who have P.M me on the 3 Date palm..

here are the stills for you...

this is the 3 third phoenix palm which happens to be a date grown from seeds derived from fruits of Oman Dates..

post-108-1200065920_thumb.jpg

Kris

One more close-up of the 3 phoenix,for iamjv... :)

post-108-1200066025_thumb.jpg

M@ximus

Phoenix  dacty  ..   I don't  think  is  bad-looking!!

M@x

post-180-1200071606_thumb.jpg

merrill

Hi, M@x:

Very attractive, indeed!  Around here, it is difficult to find such red fruits.

Many Thanks, merrill

Kris

Dear Max  :)

thanks for that beautiful still,of our loved species_The Phoenix Palms..

lots of love,

iamjv

Thanks for the updated pics Kris.  Now we see the third data palm from Oman, looks nice and healthy.  Jv

iamjv

M@x,  Great shot of the bright red fruit.  Thanks.  Jv