IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Roystoneas!  In habitat!

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

I wanted to avoid too many artificial attractions and try to focus on natural things, which, of course, have a way being made artificial, but that's for the philosphers to worry about over beer or fermented grape juice.

So, I went to the Collier-Seminole State Park just south of Naples on the west coast of FL on the way to Miami.

This park includes a natural "hammock" which is a raised limestone dome upon which grows various trees and plants, and which must endure extremes of dry and wet.

This appears to be a remnant Roystonea population, though it is regenerating itself.

Here's a general view of some wild Royals from the parking lot.

post-208-1199544146_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This sign explains in more detail what a hammock is.

post-208-1199544183_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The "soil" in a hammock is VERY shallow.  This tree just blew over.

That's solid rock underneath it.

post-208-1199544505_thumb.jpg

Closeup with The Shoe for scale, size 12, 30 cm long.

post-208-1199544558_thumb.jpg

They look really nice and healthy.  There's also supposed to be a lot of florida royals at the Fakahatchee Strand State Park.  I need to take a trip down there next time I'm down around Naples.

Pinellas Park, Florida

Forest royal sky.

post-208-1199553347_thumb.jpg

Zoom shot of the crown.  Note the faded infructescences.

Alas!  I was late . . . .

post-208-1199553423_thumb.jpg

Anything to demonstrate a destinction between Roystonea elata and regia?

What you look for is what is looking

Love those Royal palm pics. After this last freeze I think I will have the one I have removed along with the Caryotas.

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

Hope not.

Removing Roystneas sounds like a tragic play . . . .

:(

Here's another.

post-208-1199637566_thumb.jpg

Here's the Shoe on a trunk of a royal for size.  Note all the lichen growing all over it.  The trunk, I mean . . .

post-208-1199638243_thumb.jpg

Here's the crown.  Magnificent.

post-208-1199640001_thumb.jpg

Here's a young plant, ready to break through the canopy.

post-208-1199640059_thumb.jpg

Its native distribution in Florida is sadly limited, though it's locally abundant.  Here's the Institute for Regional Ecology's info page: regionalconservation.org

For better or worse, royals have naturalized all over south Florida.  I recently spotted a feral colony along I-95 near Ft Lauderdale airport.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 05 2008,09:43)

This sign explains in more detail what a hammock is.

Shady place? Never heard that definition before. Hammock for me, besides the definition being given in this thread (very common in these parts), is a "fabric sling used for sleeping, resting, " ... or, in your case may have come in handy, swooning.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Dave,

I like the foot on palm with pant leg pictures.  They are beautiful palms in a natural setting.  Not that they aren't elswhere.  As to soil thickiness tropical soils are normally quite shallow and trees falling over is pretty common.  In our forest here most of the trees roots are at the surface and even big trees may fall over pretty easily.  There are roots which go deep down for moisture, but these I don't think they do much to support the tree.  

Nice pictures.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Hammock is the general term for hardwood forest in Florda.  As in San Felasco Hammock (north of Gainesville [Felasco seems to be a corruption of Francisco]), Annutteliga Hammock (Hernando County), Matheson Hammock (next to Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden), etc.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Hey Dave, thanks for the great shots!

I bet these royals have seen a freeze or 2... They may have just seen less than 32F this last week!

Dave, you could have sold seeds from these for good money  :;):

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

• 8 years later...

Hadda doink this to compare with Zeeth's post.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Hadda doink this to compare with Zeeth's post.

Frond for Frond, they're equal.. though, any post featuring Chucky T's has a slight advantage. Then again.. there were Alligators to cross...