IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Probably headed to SoCal next week

SubTropicRay

It's a business trip but WILL make time for things botanical in origin.  Any recommended stops?  How late is Huntington BG open each day?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

You should visit Jungle Music too, to take it all in... You can arrange for an appoinment I believe.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Summer Hours (through Sept. 3):

Tuesday through Sunday 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Ray,

The Huntington is located north of downtown Los Angeles.  Check out their website:

Huntington Website

I hope you can plan a visit on Saturday or Sunday.  If so, I'm a member and will be happy to give you a tour (and get you in for free).  Send me a PM.

I don't know if you are familiar with Southern California, but it's huge and although we've got a great freeway system, a trip from Los Angeles to Jungle Music, say can take a couple of hours each way.  So unless you have a couple of extra days I suggest you schedule your horticultural activities within a short drive of your hotel.

Fred Zone 10A

La Cañada, California at 1,600 ft. elevation in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains just north of Los Angeles

If you're going to be only in LA, then the Huntington is where you want to go. If you can make it down to San Diego, check out the SD zoo.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Thanks guys.  I've been in L.A. before but this was just prior to the inception of my palm madness (circa 1992).  I realize how congested the interstate system is so that's why plans must be realistic.  If I could spend a couple of hours at Huntington, I would be satisfied.

Yes, The Huntington is a Must see. I went back in Early July with Richtrav( Richard Travis) and we met up with Danny Lewis (Palmazon) and Jack Sayers (ElHoagie) and toured the garden. I didn't have as long as I wanted in the Huntington, but thats the way life works sometimes. Enjoy.

Zac

Also, try to check out Rancho Soledad Nursery if you can.

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Yeah, go to the Big H, no two ways.

Hmm.  Maybe you and Fred can go to my place in the Big Orgy and see Louis Hooper's garden AND mine, and we could all have lunch . . . . .

Send me a PM and I'll give you my numbers if you want.

That said, if the Big H is all you have time for, that's the one to do, no two ways about it.

best

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Dave from So-Cal @ Aug. 22 2006,14:28)

Yeah, go to the Big H, no two ways.

Hmm.  Maybe you and Fred can go to my place in the Big Orgy and see Louis Hooper's garden AND mine, and we could all have lunch . . . . .

Send me a PM and I'll give you my numbers if you want.

That said, if the Big H is all you have time for, that's the one to do, no two ways about it.

best

dave

WWaaahhhhh!!

I wanna go too!

I've never been to ANY of the aforementioned places in Daves post! Can I go to? :o

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

If you hit the Huntington, the LA Arboretum is in the same area too.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I will be stationed in the South El Monte area during the day.

Ray,

You'll be 9 miles from the Huntington (pretty much straight up Rosemead Blvd.) and the same distance from the LA Arboretum.  If you only have time for one of the two, the Huntington wins hands down.

Jungle Music is 94 miles the other direction from S. El Monte and San Diego is about 20 miles further still.

Fred Zone 10A

La Cañada, California at 1,600 ft. elevation in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains just north of Los Angeles

Ray,

If I can two days in California, I'd spend one at the Huntington, the other in San Diego visiting the zoo and, time permitting, Rancho Soledad.

ashton

(Ray, Tampa @ Aug. 23 2006,12:57)

I will be stationed in the South El Monte area during the day.

That puts you dangerously close to my dive . . .

About 15 miles, if that, as the sober crow might fly . . . .

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Bill:

Need an app't for Louis' place.  But he's pretty good with notice.

I'm a ho' for a show.

But, the Big H still rocks, and I'm not a member, but, well, pay to get in, and see all of the gardens.  Fred is a member, maybe drag him along.  Or, have him drag us . . . .

dave

Thanks very much gentlemen.  I believe HBG will be my destination.

Isn't Jungle Music at least a couple of hours away?

Thanks,

Ray

Isn't Jungle Music at least a couple of hours away?

Yes.  It's 94 miles according to Yahoo Maps.

Fred Zone 10A

Fred, sent you a PM back....

Ray, not sure of the time you have, but if you are not headed to San Diego by 7:30 am on a weekend from the LA area,  add an hour to your trip!  Or close....

Bill

PS- "IF" you go to SD also, in order, I'd do the Zoo, Jungle, then Rancho Soledad....

i agree with bill.its a good itinerary--bill, i think you missed yer true calling :P

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I'd love to visit JM (and finally pick up a Cyphosperma) but forget it with that drive time.

(pohonkelapa @ Aug. 24 2006,11:57)

i agree with bill.its a good itinerary--bill, i think you missed yer true calling :P

I just can't seem to find the phone when its ringing.....  :D

Ray, did you come and go already? Did you go to the Huntington?

Or was that you with a bag over your head at Dave in LA Habras place!!!!