IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yet another Lowe's Find

osideterry

The Floridians won't be impressed, but I've never seen an Adonidia at a big-box store before. For this size, and only $20.95, I figured it could live inside from November to March. It will never go in the ground. Size 11 Court Classic for scale.

post-662-1199228857_thumb.jpg

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I have it in front of a southeast facing window now. Even the ranch-hand likes it there. Hey, a little bit of trunk goin' on.

post-662-1199228989_thumb.jpg

Terry,

I've got 15 that were started from seed in '05. Each winter, the amount of time spent outdoors increases. The 5 largest have not come in yet this year despite temps that approached freezing 4 or 5 days so far. They are green and they are growing. Filtered sunlight, under Phoenix robelliniis. My guess is that they're a couple years away from "ground worthy". Still, but they appear to have similar cold tolerance to Veitchia arecina. Way more than V. joannis. Still, I think you have to "harden" the plant up a year or two around here. The good thing is that they seem to do fine indoors too...

Hope this helps a bit.

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Nice grab Terry. It'll make a great seasonal houseplant. I'm currently growing two from seed, seem to be fairly quick growing.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

I'm impressed!  I'm from Floriduh!  What gives!??!  :;):  

This is the species that got me hooked!  I still think they are lovely trees, too bad we have a LY problem down here, or I think they would be used even more...

Good luck with your seasonal growth!

:cool:

Thanks all. We get a fair amount of humidity from March to September. Especially the last 2 Summers. October to January are the Santa Ana prone months I have to deal with. I have a sheltered spot on my front yard for it (in a pot). Zero wind exposure, and shade/filtered sunlight. Kind of a damp area. I might have an irrigation leak.

Hey! I picked up one (or more correctly Shon did) during the "fires" from Home Despot. I thought it was a Veitchia, maybe not? Its sat outside for at least the last week.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Mine is labeled "Manila Palm". I confess I called MattyB because I couldn't remember if "Manila" was Adonidia or Veitchia.

As Astro would say Ratsa Ruck kid.

I had to religate mine to my office cube.

It lasted 3 days outside in the summer and got all crispy it is slowly bouncing back at work.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Judging by the crownshaft's color you may even have the "Golden form" too!

I'm always up for learning new things!

Those are glorious here in the Big M (Miami) you see them everywhere, including old plants.  One guy near Ken's place planted his entire yard with them -- pix to come.

Those seeds are pretty.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Good ID Terry, I thought it was Veitchia something. Your keeping yours? I'm will be donating mine to somebody with a 10b climate where it has a chance to survive.

San Marcos CA

It looks good in the house. I thought if I kept a spray bottle closeby, I could mist the leaves every couple days. If it starts looking unhappy, I'd be willing to donate or swap with someone in solid 10b. I was hoping it was a Veitchia arecina when I saw it.

By the way, I'm warming up to trying a Foxtail again. This time I want to start with a big one, and give it the same treatment as the guys here trying cocos. (A wod-veitchia would be even better, but would have to go smaller for budget reasons.)

Funny I have had mine outside since I got it. It has been through the fires and many nights in the mid to upper thirties. No damage. Half day sun. It might be worth a try but I hate to waste a good palm knowing in the long run it is a no go.

San Marcos CA

(osideterry @ Jan. 02 2008,16:48)

It looks good in the house. I thought if I kept a spray bottle closeby, I could mist the leaves every couple days. If it starts looking unhappy, I'd be willing to donate or swap with someone in solid 10b. I was hoping it was a Veitchia arecina when I saw it.

By the way, I'm warming up to trying a Foxtail again. This time I want to start with a big one, and give it the same treatment as the guys here trying cocos. (A wod-veitchia would be even better, but would have to go smaller for budget reasons.)

Terry, I always see you post about the Foxtails not doing well here. They do. Maybe like you said they were too small. Mine breezed through last winter. Lost some bottom fronds, but it looks great now. Mine was a Home Depot salvage three years ago. It was stretched and skinny. It has since grown 2 feet of trunk and fattened up a lot.

I know of 5 large ones that came back strong in San Marcos, where some Majesty Palms defoliated 100%

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Len if its the same place they are all in the front yard? There is about 5 or 6 going around the perimeter of the property? They all looked shabby last spring but they really look good now.

San Marcos CA

My Foxtail woes have more to do with my soil, the way I planted them than anything else. I just dug a hole, amended the soil, and stuck them in the ground. Kings have no problem with that. Next time I'm doing the elaborate thing with the french drain, gravel, etc.

Len, keep in mind I'm a half zone lower than you. I hit 29F last week, and have to wonder how a Foxtail, even larger and planted better, would have handled that.

Jeff is about to ask which Lowes... The one in Oceanside on Hwy 76.

Terry,

Which LOWES?  I Think Jaswinds is bringing all this stuff in.  They are somewhere near you.  THanks,  Jeff

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

(Shon @ Jan. 02 2008,19:49)

Len if its the same place they are all in the front yard? There is about 5 or 6 going around the perimeter of the property? They all looked shabby last spring but they really look good now.

It is right by the new senior apartments of Rancho Sante Fe? I have a feeling we are talking about the same ones. Some are pretty beefy.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I saw a Huge Suyagrus Botryphora under potted this past weekend for only $325.00 at the Depot it was about 15 feet high, I wish I wasn't so cheap I would have picked it up.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Terry,

As an indoor palm, keep the A. merillii in a small pot and don,t over water. Keeping it in a small pot will help with this. They can become quite large in a 3g pot.. I have had a beautiful triple in a dark corner of my living room for a couple of years now. I wish I could say that I take stellar care of it but I really don't. Every once in a while I will remember to have my son water it along with my indoor ti plants. The palm just keeps on growing. Since it is an indoor palm I would recommend using organic fertilizers infrequently or as needed. The misting will help but isn't necessary. I haven't misted mine - ever - and it looks beautiful. Before I brought mine indoors I had to clean it up a little. The leaves had water stains so I mixed a solution of water and milk (10 percent milk) - and added a dash of my wifes cheapest perfume. I used a paper towel to apply it to the top of the leaves only (they breathe from the bottom sides of he leaves). This kept he leaves shiny for about 2 months and shiny enough for another 3 months. Good luck with it!

John Mendoza

Landscape Designer, Owner

Tropical Vibe Nursery and Landscape

www.tropicalvibe.com

-Full Landscape design and installation

-Wide variety of palms and tropicals, centrally located in Orange County

-Complete line of garden care products available everyday

Ed,

You should have pulled the trigger on that botryophora. Last time I heard they were circulating through the big boxes I was told they sold within 2-3 days! It is taking me forever to get my 1g to 5g. They do grow fast in the ground from a 5g/15g size but they have been slow from seed to 2' 1g. I planted a 3' plant in my backyard in Oct '06. It still hasn't quite made a comeback after the freeze. Starting off with at least a beefy 5g or 15g is the way to go.

John Mendoza

www.tropicalvibe.com

Sheeeshhh Terry You'll buy anything !That is a good looking palm though . They did'nt have any sprouted coconuts ?

The foxtail likes it a little to medium moist around here.  Mine didn't suffer any damage through the 2006-2007 winters.  It will take about a year for this palm to grow vigorously in the ground.  BTW, the best ones are the fat, short, little specimens.  I noticed my small foxtails have overtaken the tall and medium Home Depot foxtails and they get much fatter too.  My friend planted about 10 of them in his yard and the biggest has about 8 feet of clear trunk.

I bought some foxtails from HD several years back, and lost them the first winter. After that I ordered some seedlings online, kept them protected for two winters, then planted them out near the house.

I threw a t-shirt over two of them for the freeze, and they came out flawlessly. The one that I didn't cover made it through, but has struggled, only putting out one stunted frond last year.

Buy one from a local grower so it's been through a winter already...

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Thanks for the care tips Johnny. Should I even bother trying it 6 months outside in a protected spot? You and the germinator have me thinking no.

Dave - I lost 4 Home Depot Foxtails, before last years freeze and 2 in the freeze. I'm looking for a local fatty this time.

Your right madagascarbob. If it looks cool, and is a good deal, I'll buy it. It's a miracle I don't have a Bottle palm.

Terry, get your next foxtail from Rancho Soledad. They've got some decent deals on monsters. Ask for Chris and tell him the I sent you.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

(The Germinator @ Jan. 02 2008,23:55)

I saw a Huge Suyagrus Botryphora under potted this past weekend for only $325.00 at the Depot it was about 15 feet high, I wish I wasn't so cheap I would have picked it up.

You'll find them even cheaper directly from Jaswind Tropicals. I've gotten 4 from them so far over the last few months and so far they are doing great!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Terry,

Yes, you can grow it outdoors for about six months per year and it will actually grow better. They grow quite well indoors but when the weather is right they grow better outdoors. The nursery got down to 37 degrees last week and they showed no damage in a protected area. I would suggest placing it in a shady/filter sun area. Try to keep the amount of sun it receives thee same year round. During the winter I would also suggest hosing interior palms/plants off and leaving them outdoors during the daytime for one day a week. It helps to keep them loking fresher and less droopy. That said I never do this for my manilla and it is as happy as can be. I wonder how much better it would look if I did.this for it too.

John Mendoza

www.tropicalvibe.com

By the way, we have some good CA grown 10g Foxtails at the nursery for $99. Of course you can use your palm dollars and employee discount, too.

John Mendoza

www.tropicalvibe.com

(osideterry @ Jan. 02 2008,23:05)

I hit 29F last week, and have to wonder how a Foxtail, even larger and planted better, would have handled that.

Terry-

As soon as I get home today, Ill be able to tell you about that.  It was 29.5F at my house and there are a bunch of Foxtails of various sizes on my street and in my yard.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(Shon @ Jan. 03 2008,07:05)

Yeah Len that's it. Have you seen the house up the street with huge Caryota and the kings?

Yep. In fact that is where I asked the owner (or I think he was the owner) how old the Fishtails were because I saw one flowering. He guessed 15 years.

If you drive further north on that road at the four way before you turn left for Briggs, there are three huge Majesty Palms. All three were 100% defoliated, but two look like they are coming back.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

(deezpalms @ Jan. 03 2008,10:24)

You'll find them even cheaper directly from Jaswind Tropicals. I've gotten 4 from them so far over the last few months and so far they are doing great!!

Dave, are you getting them direct. I have been there numerous times and never see these. Are you getting them from their nursery in Vista or from other nurseries that have sold them too?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

(LJG @ Jan. 03 2008,10:49)

(deezpalms @ Jan. 03 2008,10:24)

Dave, are you getting them direct. I have been there numerous times and never see these. Are you getting them from their nursery in Vista or from other nurseries that have sold them too?

Len, directly from their nursery in Vista. You need to call ahead to check if they have any in stock. I saw them at a H.D. during the summer and recognized the tags as I used to run the garden center at the Lowes in San Marcos and I used to order quite a bit of plant material from them.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

I might take you up on it Johnny... last time I was there, all I saw were the 25g and bigger Foxtails in the front.

I haven't been to Rancho in 2-3 years. Probably worth the drive just to see what they have.

you can see them off the 78. I think it is actually San Marcos.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

(deezpalms @ Jan. 03 2008,15:49)

you can see them off the 78. I think it is actually San Marcos.
That sounds like Tropical Connection.

Like Shon, I only know Jas Winds' San Marcos location - up where Twin Oaks Vally Rd. turns into Deer Springs Rd. - Map Here  

Dave, where is their Vista nursery off 78?

Shhhh. Its Daves ploy to keep them all for himself...   :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!