IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

a short trip south of madagascar

bruno

(deezpalms @ Jan. 03 2008,10:51)

Bruno, thanks for the wonderful pictures of Madagascar! A true palm lover will never tire of those images!!

NO they WON'T ! :D

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

That waterfall seems to be filled when the waves climb up those flats. then it overflows where we are filming and goes back to the sea when the tide is low.

We are not far from cap sainte marie but I do not know west of that along the coast. The roads are so bad...

I read recently that there are some 22 000 endemic plants in madagascar! Incredible.

Let me take you back to where more rain falls, Fort dauphin. But on the way we cross thousands of hectares of sisal. Make ropes with that.

89-MadagascarLXXXIX0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Here is the place we stayed at. Five bungalows overlooking the bay of Libanona. Steep hill over the sea.

161-MadagascarCLXI0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

There are the same formations as in cap sainte marie at the bottom there, but not as spectacular. In the middle of the pic onland, you can see a mountain that is being taken away. This is for a new harbour to evacuate ilmenite, an enormous mining project that will destroy thousands of hecatres of primary forest, right there, a few km from fort dauphin. A south african and canadian project. Come fast before it is gone! I don't know if the ravenea musicalis' river is in the project?

162-MadagascarCLXII0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

The bed and breakfast place is right near an american lutheran foundation that has been there for a hundred years. There is a small cemetery filled with americans who came to help here. Here is a typical house under filaos.

167-MadagascarCLXVII0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

And what is there to rest on the terrace? An american rocking chair! I really love those.

166-MadagascarCLXVI0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Now we take a small boat to have a picnic up north of Fort Dauphin. To the bay of Lokaro where we will visit a primary forest, (very low trees though compared to the ones we can see near Maroantsetra) and a small island with unreal vegetation.

96-MadagascarLXXXXVI0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

A cyclone had taken away a good part of the beach for quite a few miles when we reached the place. It had been two weeks before.

100-MadagascarC032007.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

A village on the way. The children are not fat, for sure. They have barely enough to live, but the place is clean and quiet.

98-MadagascarLXXXXVIII0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Here we are. Instead of palms, coconuts or others, thisland is full of those vahombe, aloes.

102-MadagascarCII0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

What an unusual place!  Thank you for sharing your photographic tour.  I have never seen some a landscape that looks so different from anything else.  It almost looks like it is from another planet!  I am eagerly awaiting more pictures! :cool:

Bruno,

Thank you for the great images of a very intersting corner of the world.  It is very interesting to see the place.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

wow, those are landscape formations unlike anything else I have seen. truly a paradise it its own sense and it is terrible  to hear about the destruction to the natural habitat there.

the D. Decaryi looks great in habitat!

thanks for these photos!

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

it is a beautiful & fascinating place.thanks for sharing it with us,bruno! :)

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Wow Bruno!  Like everyone has said, THANKS!  

I was enamoured with Madagascar long before my interest in palms started, everything I see just confirms that someday I WILL go!!!  :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks for all the thanks! I am enjoying as musch as you are! It is really a beautiful country full of exotic plants and landscapes, but one has to travel hard and far sometimes. Jeff and some others know that well!

Here is more of that small island with no coconut trees.

112-MadagascarCXII0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

a stephanotis in habitat. I was so surprised to see it there! And you know what? I have not seen it for sale yet in any nursery around!

110-MadagascarCX0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

I forgot to show you a few pics of the southern tip. Here is part of the simple htel we were at. Antartica is straight ahead. There is lagoon to overcome first, where the waves break.

Tanafortdauphinmars20060991.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Another pretty flower from a very thorny plant that can resist any drought.

Tanafortdauphinmars20061031.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

I took the picture of those trees very fast because they are close to a tomb, a huge grave! And the people who live there do not accept that foreigners or anyone take pics of them. They can kill for that!!!

Tanafortdauphinmars20061071-1.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Bruno

Thanks for risking life and limb to get us the photos.  Much appreciated.

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Bruno, thanks for the great photos of a place we all want to visit! The white flower above sure looks like Stephanotis. I love the vaombes too!!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

That last photo (euphorb with red bracts) looks very much like a poinsettia.  Wouldn't be unheard-of for a Madagascar-region euphorb to look like something from the Caribbean region, or for a New World plant to move to Madagascar.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Thanks for these pics Bruno.

Post 28 looks like the north west of Australia. Even the colour of the dirt is similar. There are similar cascades at the sea in the North west of Oz. Saltwater crocodile territory.

I hope that ilmenite mine won't be where the last southern Beccariophoenix live, and Dypsis saintelucei. I really hope not.  :(

Thanks for the pics.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Even if the Fort Dauphin region is in my eyes the most interesting and beautiful, you have to know what the town looks like!

This is,, in one part of the town facing the ocean what used to be the hospital in french colonial times, up to 1962

Tanafortdauphinmars20061181.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Another shot of the same area. The whole town looks like an "atomized" city. Maybe something will come out of the money from ilmenite, but that is not sure at all.

Tanafortdauphinmars20061201.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

And if you want to take a tour of the island, might as well go with this local agency, you might have a lot of fun!

last post on this topic...

Tanafortdauphinmars20060281.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Bruno,

Thanks for the excellent, and fascinating, pictures! You live in a remarkable place! :)

Aloha,

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

The scenes with the aloes growing out of the rocks towards the ocean is surreal! I'd really like to visit your island one day!

I'm always up for learning new things!