IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

a short trip south of madagascar

bruno

Have a happy new year you all palm fanantics!

Let me take you south visit the Andohahela park, then to the southern tip of madagascar and then Fort dauphin and surroudings. No snakes here though, wink to kris.

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums....071.jpg

First pic with dpsis decaryi and those strange alluodia procera

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

and the second pic, so that you don't have to click and work too hard to watch plants.

116-MadagascarCXVI0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

A close up of the scene just before. I am amazed by the ladscaping job here. I find that place dramatic with all those straight trees shooting up and the horizontal rocks..

123-MadagascarCXXIII0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Another scene wit dypsis decaryi but this time keeping company to a magnificent baobab.

131-MadagascarCXXXI0320071-1.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Another strang inhabitant of those lands: bottle vines! A trunk that can be two or three meters high thick at the base and the head beomes a vine! Cyphostemma, maybe macrocarpa.

136-MadagascarCXXXVI0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

The river ends up here for a while, a nice quiet lake before it goes down to the desert plain below.

135-MadagascarCXXXV0320072.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

out of topic: do you remember our malagasy corypha? you will hear news soon from  John. be prepared.

PremierzanakaCorypha.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Last pic for tonight. We stopped in that cute cafe before we went to the southern tip  of Madagascar. The box where the food is, was full of flies, when it is supposed to keep them away. The food was good though!

139-MadagascarCXXXIX0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Bruno, Thanks for those pics. It's amazing to see D decaryi along with Boabab's and Pachypodium and weird bottle vines. What a fascinating place. That river, after it leaves the lake and goes into the desert, does it allow palms to grow along it's banks? Just wondering.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks Bruno,

We could never get enough posts from Madagascar.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I agree totally with Dypsisdean, never enough from Madagascar.  I'm anxious to sometime be able to see Ravenea xerophila in habitat too, as I have 4 small plants growing in our garden.  Thanks again Bruno for all your photos and accompanying information.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Great pictures Bruno. Interesting flora in Andohahela and neat to see Boababs growing next to Dypsis decaryi.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Fabulous-thanks for posting these photos.  Love to see the palms, but also the Cyphostemma's, Pachypodiums and Baobobs.   Did you see any Moringa's or any Delonix species?  Thanks again!

San Fernando Valley, California

No palms on this part of the trip, but to answer Peter's question, we stopped below a moringa because i loved its shape.

150-MadagascarCL0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

I even tried to get seeds. There were plenty of sed pods but they were too young.

149-MadagascarCIL0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

There were plenty of those flowers all along the road living in very harsh conditions: extremme heat and drought. I thought they might be good for gardens so I took seeds but once back in tana I found they had all been eaten by insects. I'll have to go back. It is called Barleria. Do you know them?

151-MadagascarCLI0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Quite a few of those to. A beautiful vine with white leaves, but it has a very bad smell. The malagasy call it laingomaimbo which means "which stinks"! Its latin name is pederia though and it must be foetidus.

156-MadagascarCLVI0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

This could be a euphorbia, maybe stenoclada. Like all euphorbias it has a latex which can be dagerous for the eyes.

148-MadagascarCXXXXVIII0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

I don't know what to call those! There are no books around here or very poor in contents. If anyone recognises them...

146-MadagascarCXXXXVI0320071-1.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Going straight south to the the tip of the island. Straight endless roads...

158-MadagascarCLVIII0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

And sometimes one comes across one of those "protected" turtles. They usually end up in plates or are sold in tana or exported illigally when small.

145-MadagascarCXXXXV0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Now we are at the southern tip of madagascar. No much vegetation, very low, strong winds most of the time. This is a place where cattle come to drink, there is a well in the middle of the picture. i don't know what the cattle eat though, except cactus!

140-MadagascarCXXXX0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

You can see, in the green the small bungalows. The wind blew so hard all night that our sheets were covered with sand.

141-MadagascarCXXXXI0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

There are some strange formations along the beach, water from the sea, cascades towards the land.

143-MadagascarCXXXXIII0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

The beach is behind the photographer, the sea in front and water cascades. It is a strange and beautiful landscape.

144-MadagascarCXXXXIV0320071.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Fantastic pics Bruno.

Great to see that mixture of some of the toughest plants ever (not talking cold but drought tolerant).

And the landscape reminds me of some scenes in the outback of Australia before reaching desert areas, but much more diversity in the flora in Mad.

The pachy in post#10 looks like one of the 3 var we grow here, P. densiflorum, but that's a bit of a wild guess.

Your pictures awaken my wanderlust, to travel again to some isolated wonderful places away from the masses of mankind where it is abundant with the senses of nature.

Please show more.

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Thank you again Bruno for the wonderful photos.  I'm no expert, but a knowledgeable friend has identified some of the plants:  post 20 is actually a Delonix, while post 27 shows Moringas.  Post 26 is indeed E. stenoclada, and going back to #11, that is most likely Cyphostemma laza, which is found in the south.  Love to see more if have them  :)

San Fernando Valley, California

Great pix Bruno,

I have always wanted to see Madagascar, now I have really got to go.

About the formation at the beach.  Does the water just pool up between the formation and the beach during high tide and then evaporate away.  I assume it does not flow back to the ocean as water is reluctant to flow uphill.  Or am I wrong?

Regards,

Clay

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

That waterfall flowing from the ocean is unreal! I've never seen something like that before. I'm guessing it's activitiy is tidal. There are definitely some incredible landscapes and more importantle trees over there!!

I'm always up for learning new things!

Bruno,

What fantastic photos and scenery while heading south. It just shows how harsh the conditions get and how the landscape and plants really start changing. I never made it that far south, maybe another adventure. But keep the pic.'s coming, this has been a real treat!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Great photo essay Bruno. Thanks for sharing your adventure. Are the coast photos of around Cap Saint Marie? Next trip I would like to go this far South, beautiful xerophytics. Not positive, but I think the photo of the trees next to the thatch home are of Moringa droughardii; what a gorgeous tree! There are some behemouth mature ones lining some of the roads in Tulear.

Bruno, thanks for the wonderful pictures of Madagascar! A true palm lover will never tire of those images!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!