IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold spell coming to socal

ellidro

The news and accuweather are calling for cold air to move in at the end of the week.  Snow levels will drop to 3500 feet and coastal temps will be near freezing.  Accuweather is calling for 34 degrees in Encinitas which would be the same low temp I had  last year during the freeze.  Good Luck and don't be a fool cover your tool, I mean palm!

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Weather.com and weatherunderground show lots of rain, but if anything slight warming from the past week. We never get rain and subfreezing temps on the coast here. That would equal snow. I'm way more worried about cold and dry weather.

I have noticed some sick low temps reported from Encinitas before. I believe the weather station is in Olivenhain. They were showing numbers lower than mine this past week.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Terry it is supposed to rain early in the week bringing warm temps in but after the rain clears a cold front will move in and be extremely chilly.  If the weather station is in olivenhein the temps would be much lower than what anyone in Encinitas west of El Camino Real is getting.  Hoefully the weather man in wrong.  Accuweather has been pretty accurate for me, the weather station is at moonlight beach.  My low last night was 42 although I don't remember if I reset my hi/lo button so it could have been warmer.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

If my previous post sounded cranky, it's because I've seen below freezing 6 days this month, and today was 35F again.

The sources I mentioned before both show rain coming in on Friday and going on into next week. Below is the 10-day forecast.

I'm not going to worry about cold if the forecast is rain.

post-662-1199121281_thumb.jpg

ellidro

It is good to keep an eye open for possible freezing temperatures  :D I hope it doesn't get cold after the storms end.  The freeze line is where it is snowing & 3500' is awfully close by  :o

My understanding is that the polar jet will dip south & 3 storms will rotate into California [the first two tap subtropical moisture but the last system will not.  It's hard to accurately predict 10 days out.  A northerly latitude storm is often followed by a cold airmass.

All the attention right now is on wind tonight & significant rainfall starting Thursday  :P

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

weather.com just changed my Monday low, following the storm, to 32F. I'll keep an eye on that one. I might be hauling the pots in yet again.