IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ANNUAL BANQUET

JEFF from Trabuco Canyon CA

Annual Banquet at the

Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens

Saturday

January 26, 2008

11:00 A.M.

Check-in

1151 Oxford Road

San Marino, CA

Phone 626-495-2125

Website: http://www.huntington.org/BotanicalDiv/HEHBotanicalHome.html

We will have our annual banquet at the same location as last year and the menu was so popular that we will have the same menu. It consists of BBQ chicken and tri-tip, organic beans, garden salad, coffee or soft drinks and fresh cherry pie. Tickets will be $39.

For those of you who have not been to the Huntington Gardens or the new conservatories you are in for a real treat. It is really top notch. Lots of large tropical palms that are not often seen unless you make a trip to Hawaii.

Ralph Velez will be our featured guest speaker. He will show slides of his 1999 Costa Rica trip that are sure to whet your appetite for the upcoming International Palm Society 2008 Biennial to this very country. For those interested, you first need to be an IPS member. Registration will be closed after the first 200 IPS members sign up. This will surely be the best way to see Costa Rica ever. Membership and Biennial information is on the website: http://www.palms.org

As the garden is large and always full of new surprises, you are encouraged to arrive anytime from 10:00 a.m. for morning self-guided tours. Admission and parking is free to PSSC members but you must identify yourself as such at both guard stations. First guard post is at the entry from Allen Dr., and the second post is near the main building entrance adjacent to the parking (guard post 17). The guard will point you in the direction of the Ahmanson Classroom in the Botanical Center for the banquet.

There is limited seating available this year- the first 105 guests will be accomodated at the banquet. Unfortunately, we will have to turn away people who show up at the door without pre-registering. Please send your check with the number of guests you plan to bring to: Ralph Velez, banquet chairman (714)775-6324

15461 Devonshire Circle

Westminster,CA 92683

Directions: From the 210 Fwy: East or Westbound. Exit Allen Dr. going South. Allen Dr. will lead to the front gate of the Huntington.

Jeff Rood

The dates are a little different from last year(a week later ?). This might be something I can look into. :D  I would love to come out there and visit this garden that I have heard so much about.

Has anyone attended this annual banquet before? What do I have to look forward to? :D  Educate me.....

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Dec. 28 2007,05:58)

The dates are a little different from last year(a week later ?). This might be something I can look into. :D  I would love to come out there and visit this garden that I have heard so much about.

Has anyone attended this annual banquet before? What do I have to look forward to? :D  Educate me.....

Jeff

I'll radio you and we'll talk.....  :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(Peter @ Dec. 28 2007,10:57)

Jeff,

if you come out, I've got a couple Meryta's for you to take back on the plane.

Peter,

I just love a good bribe when I hear one. :D  Well thanks, but what in thee hell is a Meryta ? :D  Time to clear the palm books off the desk and pull out my flowering tree and rare plant books. I need to start studying......we'll talk.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff you've gotta come!  We can tour the garden and the conservatory.  Good food, good presentations, an auction.  What more could ya want.  Bring Andrea we'd love to met you guys. :cool:

...or bring Ryan and we'll hit the LA strip bars! :laugh:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matt, Matt, Matt...... :D  That's pretty good. Well, it's too early to say for sure, but I think I can swing it. Even though there's alot going on right then. I have a trade show the week before that I have to set up for. And then the week after your gig out there, I have my palm sale down in Key West, which requires alot of time to prepare for. But, if I come, it looks like I will be coming solo. Andrea can't get the time off from her job on such short notice. I can ask Ryan, but I think he's saving all the "beans" for Costa Rica right now.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

COOL!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(Peter @ Dec. 29 2007,10:56)

Jeff,

I already put aside a couple for you if you remember.  New Caledonia, super rare...

IMG_3199.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg

Peter,

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....those plants. :D  Now I remember! Talk about dangling the carrot on a string in front of my face. Those plants alone are just about enough to push me over the edge. Thanks,

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Peter @ Dec. 28 2007,07:57)

Jeff,

if you come out, I've got a couple Meryta's for you to take back on the plane.

Peter, how far do we have to come to qualify for a Meryta?  :P

Great pics Peter. Your garden looks really nice and lush. Does that place off Fairfax still have any left? Xotx- Tropico I think it was called.

San Marcos CA

Sorry to hijack your thread Jeff...but yes, XOTX has plenty of these Meryta's left.  For anyone going to the banquet at the Huntington, I could probably arrange to go by and pick up a few Meryta's and bring them(within reason).  PM me if interested.  I believe they are around $40 for a single plant, $60 for a triple(recommended for future seed production).    They are around a 1g size, although planted in a smaller, square container.

San Fernando Valley, California

• 2 weeks later...

OK, sent my check in this weekend.  First one to spank Jeff Searle's butt wins a prize! :laugh:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Jan. 07 2008,13:28)

OK, sent my check in this weekend.  First one to spank Jeff Searle's butt wins a prize! :laugh:

Hmm, spank my butt? Do I need to stay away from you? And what makes you think I'm coming?  No official confirmation yet. :D

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I thought Ken Johnson said so!  Ok maybe just a long hug. ???

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

As of today, yes Ken Johson and myself will be making the looooooong trip out west to come to the So Cal. banquet. When the dates were posted several days ago, I realised that this might be possible. I'm really looking forward to coming out there and meeting some of you all. I know some already, but I hope we get the chance to meet many others, and possibly see some of your yards/gardens. The few trips that I have made out there, the Hunnington has always escaped me. So I look forward to seeing this unique garden. Also, high on the list of gardens to see, would be Ralph's house. So, I look forward to seeing some of you soon.

Jeff

I'll start rooting around for a palm or two to maybe bring out for the auction. :D

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

MattyB  Posted on: Dec. 28 2007,15:54

...or bring Ryan and we'll hit the LA strip bars! :laugh:

:laugh:

A trip out west would be very new and exciting, since I have never been west of Texas. Like Jeff had mentioned, I'm staying focused on one trip at a time. I hope everyone there will photograph without discretion so some of us can experience the meeting over distance.

Ryan

South Florida

I just found out that I have to cancel my reservation! :angry:   I've got a previous family engagement! :angry: Stupid family :angry: Palms should come first.

1. Palms

2. God

3. Beer

4. Family

5. Country

6. My imaginary friend Paco

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I'll miss you Jeff Searle!  Oirvoia...or however you spell it.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Wussie

(MattyB @ Jan. 08 2008,19:29)

I just found out that I have to cancel my reservation! :angry:   I've got a previous family engagement! :angry: Stupid family :angry: Palms should come first.

1. Palms

2. God

3. Beer

4. Family

5. Country

6. My imaginary friend Paco

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I'll miss you Jeff Searle!  Oirvoia...or however you spell it.

Matt,

W H A T !!! Your not coming? On your list your palm addiction is rated higher than family. What gives?

Are you not going to be around from Thursday to Sunday? Maybe we can cordinate a place and time and you can do a "drive by" with the wife, kids, Aunt Tilly,etc. You don't even have to stop, just yell out the window.......nice tooo meeeeet   youuuu    Jeffff. As your waving going by. :P  Ohh, and your in the back seat kicking and screaming! He he   :laugh:  lol!

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Gosh, I wish.  Any other time I would but I'm gonna be working on the weekdays, and any other spare time will be consumed by me trying to repair water damage.  I've got a floor ripped up, a wet wall, uhhhhhhh too much going on.  Maybe Paul and I can take an extended PRA during your sale next year.  I think we wanna do a Forida trip next.  Try and have fun without me.  I know it'll be hard.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

MattyB,

That's too bad. And sorry to hear about the water damage. That dosen't sound good. But......it does sound good if you and Paul can make a trip over this way next spring. Lots of good gardens to visit, etc.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Family engagement!!?? What could possibly be more important than the PSSC Banquet when you're in SoCal... That sounds pretty weak, Matt! :P  

Personally, I can't think of what kind of "family engagement" would be more important, other than one's own funeral...and come to think of it, I'd probably rather attend the Banquet :D

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

i wasn't planning on attending but matt talked me into it & then i found out jeff was gonna be there so i'm all hyped up for it & matt BACK'S OUT!!! :angry:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(MattyB @ Jan. 08 2008,14:29)

What "stupid family" would that be???

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Wow, that was a well resonated voice.  Yes, our stupid family Dean.  Tristen's graduation party.  I guess I have to watch my big fat mouth around here.  The leaves w/ eyes are watching!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Just sent in my check.

If I don't come for lunch, I'll be there for the plants . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hey Dave, Call Ralph to reserve your spot even if you send in your check.

Jeff

Jeff Rood

One of my stupid best friends in dumb Ventura County is having his lame 60th birthday party that same day. I can't get a break with PSSC events.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(osideterry @ Jan. 19 2008,01:14)

One of my stupid best friends in dumb Ventura County is having his lame 60th birthday party that same day. I can't get a break with PSSC events.

Well......he's had 59 other ones! Can't you just pass on this ONE? :D

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Jan. 19 2008,19:36)

(osideterry @ Jan. 19 2008,01:14)

Well......he's had 59 other ones! Can't you just pass on this ONE? :D

Jeff

Heck, just buy him a ticket and bring him with you.  Tell him it is his birthday present.  Even go so far as to tell him you flew in some dignitaries from Florida just to meet him.   I am sure Jeff and Ken will go along, for 60 seconds at least, but once you got him there you are home free anyway.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith,

You beat me to the punch. That was my next post for this morning! :D  Not the silly part about dignitaries coming, though. So Terry, you still have time........

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hey guys, There are only about 15 seats left, so don't miss out.

Jeff

Jeff Rood

I didn't realise the Screen Actors Guild Awards were that weekend and I have to work that weekend as well! :angry:

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(Scott @ Jan. 23 2008,20:46)

I didn't realise the Screen Actors Guild Awards were that weekend and I have to work that weekend as well! :angry:

Bring them along too, Scott, besides you can duck out at 2pm or so...   :D

Well, I'm going to the big bash on Saturday.

Probably leave the paper bag and red shoes home -- they say it's going to rain . . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.