IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Hemisphere Summer

Tyrone

All that water looks wonderful Ari. It's 39C here today. It won't be dropping below 30C for the next week.

Forecast for Thursday

Fine.  Fresh NE'ly winds easing during the morning with an afternoon sea breeze.

Precis:      Fine. Very hot.                    

City:        Max 39

Mandurah:    Max 35

UV Index:    9 [Very High] UV Alert from 10:00 to 17:00  

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH    

Hills:         HIGH    

Friday       Fine.                                  Min 22     Max 37

Saturday     Fine.                                  Min 22     Max 33

Sunday       Fine.                                  Min 20     Max 31

Monday       Fine.                                  Min 22     Max 36

Tuesday      Fine.                                  Min 19     Max 38

Wednesday    Fine.                                  Min 19     Max 33

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It's 41.3C at 2pm. HOT.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

TC Ophelia is at cat 2 stage off the Kimberley coast heading WSW, sort of parralel to the coast. They're predicting it to go off into the wild blue sea, but it's a cyclone and unpredictable, so the next week may get interesting. The last cyclone made it to 25S before blowing out.

Last couple of days have been nice and humid. Min's around 20C, max's around 30C. There was dew on the lawn this morning. Still, I would love some rain.

Tyrone

We have been watching that low very closely and then when it moved away... we were watching it with despair. Back to convection storm for us for the next few weeks until the next monsoon arrives. HOT, HOT and HOT!!! My poor plants are a bit shock today...

Well, I hope you get a bit of rain from Ophelia.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari,

I missed the waterfall pictures.  That is a great place.  What is the water temperature?  Also,  how does the monsoon work.  Do you get rain in cycles during the wet season?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

perfect temperature for swimming, Don, about 28 deg C. Unfortunately no swimming allowed this time of the year... Some people still did, but at their own risk.

Anyway, monsoon trough does come in cycle - usually last about 2-3 weeks. It comes down from Indian ocean, and then goes back up after dumping a lot of rain. In between, we have suppression stage for about 2 weeks where we usually get convection storms. Amazing storm from inland - unfortunately before the storm, usually we have hot and humid days. Some very unpleasant!! I guess that is where the get the 'build up' term from..

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

(ariscott @ Mar. 01 2008,21:02)

We have been watching that low very closely and then when it moved away... we were watching it with despair. Back to convection storm for us for the next few weeks until the next monsoon arrives. HOT, HOT and HOT!!! My poor plants are a bit shock today...

Well, I hope you get a bit of rain from Ophelia.

Ari, it's going away, leaving us all behind.  :(

regards

Tyrone

Local news article...some pretty impressive 3 month totals...

QUEENSLAND has had its wettest summer since 1990 with the Gold Coast Hinterland receiving a whopping 2272mm of rain, and forecasters predict more rain to come.

The Bureau of Meteorology says most central and eastern districts received above-average rainfall, with only far western areas receiving average rainfall.

Five areas received their highest ever summer rainfall - with Kowanyama, on Cape York, receiving 1803 millimetres, and Springbrook Road, in the Gold Coast hinterland, receiving 1688mm.

Springbrook Upper Alert was the wettest place in the state over summer with 2272mm of rain, followed by Hospital Bridge near Mackay with 2035mm and 2030mm at Crystal Brook, near Proserpine.

The most rain recorded in a single day was 625mm, dumped on East Mackay on February 15, causing major flooding of the city.

The bureau also recorded cooler than average summer temperatures across most of the state, largely due to cloud cover.

The coldest day was February 26, when 18.8 degrees Celsius was recorded at Toowoomba Airport, in south-east Queensland.

The bureau's Tamika Tihema said more monsoonal rain was expected in autumn.

Most of northern Queensland has a 60 to 70 per cent chance of above average rainfall, due to a La Nina event, she said.

``They bring good rainfall to eastern Australian and certainly that has been the case over the last season,'' Ms Tihema said.

``Hopefully that will continue, but we don't want too much rain, as a strong La Nina event can bring flooding.''

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Over 700mm in Silkwood yesterday , poor buggers . Had nearly 3 days of non-stop rain here , but don't think it will break last years Feb record .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Ophelia took our rain too... so it would be convection rain again for a week or two. Cann't complain though, got around 50mm today.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

A cut-of low is heading our way tonight. Rain tomorrow and Friday. Temps are still warm so it's all good. The days have been nice and humid so far. The garden really responds to humidity.  :)

regards

Tyrone

(aussiearoids @ Mar. 04 2008,20:40)

Over 700mm in Silkwood yesterday , poor buggers . Had nearly 3 days of non-stop rain here , but don't think it will break last years Feb record .

Michael, you guys have certainly had some rain up there!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

What a humid day today was. Dewpoints around 20C all day. Looking out over the city it was just covered everywhere in a heavy humid mist, like a Borneo rainforest!!!. It tried to rain all day, with heavy droplets every few hrs. It got up to 31C despite all the heavy cloud cover. It's very stormy looking. What was cloud from TC Ophelia has been spilling out over the SW as a cut-off low approaches tonight. They may combine which would be nice. Expecting thunderstorms and rain tonight and tomorrow. I love this weather. Everything is damp and muggy and hot, and the palms love it.

Michael, I hope everyone is alright up your neck of the woods. I heard Port Douglas got around 500mm last night and places like Myola got around 300mm. Man you guys get wet up there. I wish you could post some down our way. we'll take half of it.  :)

regards

Tyrone

Trucks are still not allowed down the Bruce , every available parking spot along the highway is full of semis waiting for the floods to recede . I had the ride-on in the workshop getting new bearings for the blade spindles . At least these new ones have grease nipples . Poor thing really works overtime during the wet .

new bearings already, Michael? It is not that old, is it? It is true though... mine is going for at least 4 hours every 2 weeks.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It was 28 c here at 1130 last night !!!  talk about a warm march

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I guess that is warm for Tassie. My other half used to live there (launceston) for 2.5 years and he would be lucky to get over 30's days in summer!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

(ariscott @ Mar. 02 2008,19:01)

perfect temperature for swimming, Don, about 28 deg C. Unfortunately no swimming allowed this time of the year... Some people still did, but at their own risk.

Anyway, monsoon trough does come in cycle - usually last about 2-3 weeks. It comes down from Indian ocean, and then goes back up after dumping a lot of rain. In between, we have suppression stage for about 2 weeks where we usually get convection storms. Amazing storm from inland - unfortunately before the storm, usually we have hot and humid days. Some very unpleasant!! I guess that is where the get the 'build up' term from..

Ari,

The monsoon trough,  it seems to have persisted for much longer than 3 weeks this season.   Looking from down here there seem to be signs its weakening.   But now the BOM have a national radar mosaic,  its possible to see the trough in action on a continental scale:  

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/national_radar_sat.shtml

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Chris,

It has been a good rainy season this year, although not as good as Southern States... in comparison, but still good for Darwin. At the moment we are waiting for the next one to come. I haven't been home since Thursday so I hope we get some rain in between. It is interesting to watch the weather. My other half is a weather nut as well... he loves the storm, lightning and the works... Me, I just like the rain!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

(ariscott @ Mar. 10 2008,18:22)

Chris,

It has been a good rainy season this year, although not as good as Southern States... in comparison, but still good for Darwin. At the moment we are waiting for the next one to come. I haven't been home since Thursday so I hope we get some rain in between. It is interesting to watch the weather. My other half is a weather nut as well... he loves the storm, lightning and the works... Me, I just like the rain!!!

Ari,

I ould like to correct an impression.   We in the deep south are still in deep drought.   We had some good rain in December,  but essentially none since then.  I had hoped La Nina would be more kind to us.   Its been pretty abysmal.   We have had along drought 10 years ago the reservoirs were full. Now they bump along at 30% at the lowest at the end of each summer.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Adelaide has had 8 days in a row over 100f.

Port Augusta, just to the north, has had 7 days in a row over 40c.

In Sydney we have been pretty close to average.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

(chris.oz @ Mar. 10 2008,20:02)

Ari,

I ould like to correct an impression.   We in the deep south are still in deep drought.   We had some good rain in December,  but essentially none since then.  I had hoped La Nina would be more kind to us.   Its been pretty abysmal.   We have had along drought 10 years ago the reservoirs were full. Now they bump along at 30% at the lowest at the end of each summer.

Sorry to hear that Chris. I guess I was thinking about Queensland... Maybe La Nina couldn't extend that far south.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

(chris.oz @ Mar. 10 2008,20:02)

Ari,

Chris,

I have a feeling that winter for us in the southern states may produce some good rainfall this year. Normally a La Nina episode starts to wain and wear out by Autumn, but at present it is showing no signs of decay. The SOI is very high at the moment and steady at 23.1 I think. If it takes a long time to revert to neutral I'm wondering weather it will amplify cold front activity as we go into winter. I don't want a wet winter though, but a moist winter will eliminate getting anywhere near freezing temps for both of us. That's my thoughts.

regards

Tyrone

Rain , rain and more rain ,, wish I was 'elsewhere' where its always fine .. predictions from Elders ...

Monday  Possible shower

22 / 28°C 40%, 5-10mm Nil SE 23km/h 75% SE 20km/h 76%

Tuesday  Showers

22 / 29°C 40%, 1-5mm Nil SSE 16km/h 81% ESE 12km/h 75%

Wednesday  Showers

22 / 28°C 50%, 10-20mm Nil SSE 14km/h 83% SE 7km/h 75%

Thursday  Showers

22 / 28°C 60%, 1-5mm Nil SE 18km/h 82% ESE 18km/h 79%

Friday  Showers

22 / 29°C 50%, 1-5mm Nil SSE 19km/h 77% SE 20km/h 73%

Saturday  Possible shower

22 / 30°C 40%, 1-5mm Nil ESE 13km/h 84% E 21km/h 85%

Sunday  Possible shower

22 / 31°C 40%, < 1mm Nil

though thats for Cardwell , it will most likely be a lot wetter here .

Michael, That's beautiful weather. Let's swap. Come over here and you can water everyday, and I'll go over there and oo and ahhh at all the Palms, Heliconia's, Aroids, and humidity, the smell of the cane fields, ahhhhhhhhh. Wish I was there.  :)

We've had a couple of days of cooler weather day and night. We've been low to mid teens at night and mid to high twenties for a few days. Back to summer this week with low twenties at night and low thirties during the day with rain on Thursday but still 32C. Nice and steamy.  :)

regards

Tyrone

You can't get anything dry, Tyrone!! I have a dryer and use it non stop this time of the year. My mother-in-law questioned me for using it all the time and asked for towel rack to hang her clothes under the verandah. Well, there is a reason why I used it to death... after 3 days, none of her clothes were dry!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari ,. I have a line in the spare bedroom and leave the ceiling fan on flat out all the time , it dries clothes in a few days . I will buy an electric or maybe a gas fired clothes dryer one day .

Figures for rainfall so far this month .. 1083.8mm .

thats 42.6 inches , over 2" a day !

Highest fall was 225mm in 24 hrs last friday, nearly 9" . Wettest march on record was back in 1945 with 1925.4mm , thats 6' 4" .

Year to date figure is 2196.8 is 347 above average.

And WOW , it did not rain today , and the sun was shining .. lovely day .

Michael,  That is one lot of water.  What is the normal yearly percipitation there?  We have been having very rainy month.  But, the averages have been from 20 to 30 mm per day for the most part.  The average for March which is our rainiest month is about 350 mm.  We normally have dry mornings, most of the time with some sun and then it clouds up and rains in the afternoon.  The rain normally comes this time of year around 2 pm.  So, for the most part you can dry clothes ok as the sun is real hot when it is out.  Every once in a while we have an entire day with rain, but his is rare.  You have more rain in the frist few months of the year than we get all year.  And, we are in a rain forest as well.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Tully is the wettest town in Australia.... If it doesn't rain there, you would be worried  :D .

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It has been raining all day.  I went to the street market near my house to get some things.  Since it is a holiday here, Good Friday, the place was packed in spite of the rain.  At least the rain keeps the temperature down.

Current Weather Conditions

Eduardo Gomes International, Brazil

(SBEG) 03-02S 060-03W

Conditions at

2008.03.21 1500 UTC

Wind from the S (180 degrees) at 9 MPH (8 KT)

Visibility 3 mile(s)

Sky conditions mostly cloudy

Weather Light rain

Temperature 73 F (23 C)

Dew Point 71 F (22 C)

Relative Humidity 94%

Manoa street market this morning.

March21feira.jpg

March21.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don , avg annual is 4.5m

Michael,

That is a lot of water.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

TC Pancho is a cat 4 and heading in the general direction of SW Oz. On the sattelite you can see quite a large distinct eye forming. The BOM seems to think it will turn away from the coast in around 24hrs. It's sort of unusual lately for them to be heading for the east that far out to sea and be that strong so far south. It could be interesting here in a few days. It's dry as a chip over here now. No humidity at all.

regards

Tyrone

I hope so. We are still waiting for the next monsoon which apparently will be here on the weekend. We are still getting night/afternoon convection storm though, so we can't complain. Although the dragon flies are coming out, so dry season is definitely coming sooner than we would like... But then, gardeners don't like dry season.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Long range forecast (Apr-Jun) has put SE QLD and Northern NSW at a 70% chance of above average rainfall and lower than average day time temps. Computer models are suggesting that La Nina will continue at least until the end of Autumn, which means it may hang around into winter for a bit. The west on the other hand will have average rainfall for the same period and a 60-70% chance of higher than average temps. We'll see what happens.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/ahead/rain_ahead.shtml

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/ahead/temps_ahead.shtml

regards

Tyrone

Wouldn't you love to live in the Snowies?

Wednesday's forecast for Thredbo Top Station is rain/snow, a top of +1c, and gale force NW winds, possibly reaching storm force around the peaks.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

NO THANKS Phil !! I do not have many winter woolies left now after so long in the tropics , and my blood freezes below 19C BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Would a Trachy live up there?

Tyrone

Cooling down now.... the monsoon has deserted us and we are left with convection rain for the next week or two... and then, dry season is here. The humidity has dropped and it has been very pleasant lately.

Unfortunately, it means the plants will slow down their growth and the ground starts drying as the water table drops... and we have to keep up the irrigation to keep everything green until October. They were talking about having a humid dry season this year... and having odd storms in July/August. But until it happens, I won't hold my breath. Just have to keep the bore running!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"