IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Hemisphere Summer

Tyrone

It's 11.30am and we've had around 32mm of rain. Not bad. Still more coming.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

All up, we got 50mm of rain today. The average for Feb is 7mm. We have already had as much rain as you would get in an average year in Perth, by mid April. The compensating basin at the end of my street which only has water in it in winter, is full. All the drains around town are full. Perth now has a La Nina effect on it's weather. Palms are loving it, everything is damp and drenched, and you can smell the eucalypts and the damp soil. Tomorrow is 29C, so that will be nice and sticky after a morning shower. We're back to high 30's by Monday and a possible cyclone is brewing in the tropical Indian.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I love the rain, don't you?? Yes... I heard about the tropical lows over there... we are hoping it won't be developed otherwise we will have a sad sad monsoon!! They were saying it will get here by Sunday or Monday now... and it is going to be big, unless of course we have TC on the coast of WA.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, I hope you get your rain, but not in the form of a cyclone.  :( Nice consistent heavy rain with no wind is what you want.

Well after recording around 100mm in the catchments around Perth and 50mm of rain in Perth itself we now go back to the same routine we've had for the last 6 weeks. Hot hot weather without a break.

Forecast for Friday    evening

Fine. A cloudy evening. Moderate E/NE winds.

Precis:      Fine. Cloudy.                      

Forecast for Saturday

Fine, partly cloudy. E'ly winds, fresh at times in the morning.

Precis:      Fine.                              

City:        Min 20     Max 32

Mandurah:    Min 22     Max 30

UV Index:    11 [Extreme] UV Alert from  9:40 to 17:20  

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH    

Hills:         HIGH    

Sunday       Fine.                                  Min 20     Max 34

Monday       Fine.                                  Min 21     Max 35

Tuesday      Fine.                                  Min 22     Max 35

Wednesday    Fine. Hot.                             Min 22     Max 36

Thursday     Fine. Very hot.                        Min 24     Max 38

Friday       Fine.                                  Min 24     Max 34

regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

I undertand from what you said tha La nina produces more rain for you area.  It does here as well.  This years rainy season has been exactly that very rainy.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Yes, it does but it is more strongly felt in the east. Daryl in the east coast has already had 1.3m of rain. It must be a real strong La Nina this year to produce the rain it did on the west coast. I think we'll have a wet autumn as well, and if La Nina keeps going through winter our dams will be overflowing too. It still won't stop water restrictions I bet.

Best regards

Tyrone

Monsoonal flow has started today... the rain has come from the 'right' direction. Nothing big just yet, just a nice steady one this morning, just what my garden orders :) :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Waking up in the morning.... and it is nice, cool and wet!!! How wonderful!! We got 65mm last night...  Not as much as some... but it was enough to cool down everything. Not so good for the decking which is not quite finished... And the beauty of it... there is more to come. I love monsoonal rain!!!!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Just signed up for Weather Underground and saw that a couple of cyclones brewing out in the Indian Ocean.

Is this the height of the season down south, or are they just beginning for you?

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Northern Australia has had several... We almost got hit by cyclone Helen a few weeks ago... There is also a low south west of Darwin - just where cyclone Helen was brewing last time... Exciting times!! I guess it is part of living in the tropics.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The low off the NW is expected to form by Tuesday and head west. If it clears NW Cape it could get interesting down here, but it's probably too early to get one this far south.  Looking at the SST being 2 degrees above normal, it could be a big one though.

The cyclone season is Nov-Apr sometimes May. March April ones are statistically bigger than early ones.

Ari, I hope you get the rain , but no wind.

Best regards

Tyrone

Heading west?? Man.... I hope not, it will take our rain away. We got over 100mm in the last 24 hours... nice and steady rain!! Everything is absolutely wet, which is good. Managed to plant some stuff too in between the downpour.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, there is a low in the Gulf of Carpentaria which may form as well, so you should get rain anyway.

regards

Tyrone

As long as the low in the GOC doesn't head towards QLD... and that would be tragic!! Had another 50mm since this morning.. everything is wet!! I love all this rain... make planting a lot easier. We planted the 5 bamboos we bought last week.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Easterlies have been horrendous here last night and this morning cos of the high in the bight and lows up north. Kind of reminded me of the Santa Ana problems those in Cali had earlier this year. It's going to be real hot here for a few days, and no rain. :(

Forecast for Tuesday  

Fine, partly cloudy. Fresh to strong and gusty E'ly winds moderating in the

afternoon.

Precis:      Windy morning. Partly cloudy.      

City:        Max 36

Mandurah:    Max 35

UV Index:    11 [Extreme] UV Alert from  9:40 to 17:20  

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: VERY HIGH

Hills:         VERY HIGH

Wednesday    Windy morning. Mainly fine.            Min 22     Max 37

Thursday     Fine. Very hot.                        Min 23     Max 38

Friday       Fine. Hot.                             Min 24     Max 36

Saturday     Fine. Very hot.                        Min 22     Max 38

Sunday       Fine. Very hot.                        Min 23     Max 39

Monday       Fine.                                  Min 23     Max 37

regards

Tyrone

TC Nicholas has just formed near Broome. Not sure which way it will track just yet. It's a cat 1 but expected to intensify soon.

regards

Tyrone

I am watching it, Tyrone. We have been getting good rain lately, so hopefully it will last for a bit longer. At the moment, it is still going north east....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Nicholas seems to be wandering around aimlessly. It's certainly keeping the weatherman guessing. If it moves over Pilbara waters it will intensify because the sea is about 32C at the moment whereas it is less than 30C around the Kimberley's.

regards

Tyrone

Nicholas is now cat 2 and heading west. Still rambling around getting stronger. It's tipped to be cat 3 soon.

regards

Tyrone

I know... and we have less rain already. Well, enough to water the plants, but not breaking any records. I hope Nicholas is not in a hurry to go south.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

(ariscott @ Feb. 15 2008,06:19)

I know... and we have less rain already. Well, enough to water the plants, but not breaking any records. I hope Nicholas is not in a hurry to go south.

I don't think Nicholas really knows where it wants to go. The BOM is tipping it always to head to the coast, but it seems to be defying their predictions. At best it is trying to track a SW direction parralel to the NW coast. If it does that and flies out into the Indian Ocean west of NW cape it is likely to keep following the coast further south. One website has it following the coast all the way to Shark Bay before it comes into land. That's at 26S. The next few days could get interesting.

It's been very humid here the last couple of days. Dew points between 18-22C. It's great. I water the plants and hours later there is still water on the leaves. I get excited by that sort of thing, though millions wouldn't. It's a mediteranean climate thing. :)

regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

I hope you will get something out of this cyclone.... because I don't think we will. Rain that is... not wind. It has been windy in the past few days, but then it is very normal for Darwin.

It must be hard being in a dry place and all. It is like Darwin in the dry season.... bone dry, but at least it is cool. The plants just stop growing or at least slow down. Not fried.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

(ariscott @ Feb. 16 2008,08:02)

Tyrone,

I hope you will get something out of this cyclone.... because I don't think we will. Rain that is... not wind. It has been windy in the past few days, but then it is very normal for Darwin.

It must be hard being in a dry place and all. It is like Darwin in the dry season.... bone dry, but at least it is cool. The plants just stop growing or at least slow down. Not fried.

Hi Ari,

How is everything there ? Anything growing crazy as in fast ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(ariscott @ Feb. 15 2008,17:02)

Tyrone,

We've had quite a bit of cloud the last few days, so the sun has no bite. So with the high humidity it's been great, expecially last week when we got 50mm in a day. What I really HATE is the dry easterlies that hammer the place. They severely limit me growing big leaved species, like L ramsayi and Kerriodoxa, because they just get ripped up. Even with all the bamboo and canopy which really works to limit the wind, the wind just is relentless sometimes, and then I get cranky.

I think we'll get next to nothing from this cyclone. Just when the rain looks like getting us, it veers away usually. Inland from us may flood, but we may not get a drop. I have learned to not rely on the weather. I have to create my own monsoon season. :)

regards

Tyrone

Nicholas is still Cat 3, with 185km/h winds. It seems to be overshooting NW Cape and will most likely start to walk down the coast. SST's are 26C or above right down to Kalbarri at 27S. their predicting rain in Perth on Thursday. If it's still a cyclone it won't be that far away from us. Maybe some serious rain.

Ari, we'll see if my monsoon raindancing worked.  :)

regards

Tyrone

Nicholas is a Cat 2 at the moment with 150kph winds. It's currently wholloping a place called Yardie Creek. It's uninhabited, but we go there every few years around Xmas, and virtually have the whole place to ourselves. Ningaloo reef and nesting turtles on one side, and the Yardie Gorge on the other. I should post pics in a travel thread. It's a dry old place until a cyclone comes through and floods the place. All the rocks tell of huge cyclones and temporary giant water falls and rivers that ripped through the iron stone in times past.

It's heading down to Coral Bay where it will probably head inland and dissipate into a rain bearing depression by tomorrow.

Still no rain here. Raindancing didn't work in the end.  :(

regards

Tyrone

(ariscott @ Feb. 20 2008,06:59)

Not dancing hard enough... Tyrone...

Yeah, I'm not a good dancer.

The rain and clouds from Nicholas are all heading east from me now. This stupid high zoomed in underneath it and stripped it of energy. It also brought a cooler drier change to my area. It was lovely and humid before this high moved in. :(

regards

Tyrone

Tomorrow is forecast to be 36C here..the first hot day this summer, and we only have 1 week left of it (officially)

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Quite warm here today...38C at 11:30am and about 30% humidity with no breeze. Summer has finally arrived!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

(Daryl @ Feb. 23 2008,11:40)

Quite warm here today...38C at 11:30am and about 30% humidity with no breeze. Summer has finally arrived!

Daryl

Sure is hot here Daryl, got the air con happening, staying indoors for sure. Mowed yesterday after work, thank goodness. Currently 37.7c (100f) at Bris airport (11:45am) which is usually closest to my temps., lowest humidity for a while too, only 28.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

39c peaked, now dropping. Most palms have shut down, too hot.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Our rainy season just keeps raining.  La Niña moves along I guess.  Yesterday I was over at the riverside and took this picture looking up the Negro River at the pool bar of a hotel.  It was a nice end of the day with my partner and a customer from the States.  You can see the rain cloud moving across the river.  As you look up the river you can see a point on the left side.  Out country lot is on that point.  I am going to post some palm pictures of our area which will include more shots of this afternoon on another forum.

It is quite the swimming pool as well.

Today it did not rain much.

dk

210220081589.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I don't think we will get much rain today, which is good... giving everything a chance to dry out a little bit. Went to Litchfield with relatives yesterday... and it was on and off raining the whole day. I think it was the same at home.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

(ariscott @ Feb. 24 2008,09:02)

I don't think we will get much rain today, which is good... giving everything a chance to dry out a little bit. Went to Litchfield with relatives yesterday... and it was on and off raining the whole day. I think it was the same at home.

Hi Ari,

Were all the waterfall areas open at Litchfield ? I would love to see those places at this time of year, must be like Niagara falls. Any pics ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Wal @ Feb. 22 2008,22:18)

39c peaked, now dropping. Most palms have shut down, too hot.

39C is hot, but if you keep the water up to them the palms will still crank along, at least the sunloving ones will.

You should see what happens at 45C. Not nice. Cycas revoluta's burn.

Here is the forecast for Perth the next week. Here we go again, but still no rain.

Forecast for Monday    evening

Fine. WInds shifting moderate E/NE'ly this evening.

Forecast for Tuesday  

Fine. A sunny day. Moderate to fresh E/NE'ly winds easing before an afternoon

sea breeze.

City:        Min 20     Max 37

Mandurah:    Min 22     Max 33

UV Index:    9 [Very High] UV Alert from 10:00 to 17:00  

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH    

Hills:         HIGH    

Wednesday    Fine.                                  Min 22     Max 37

Thursday     Fine.                                  Min 23     Max 38

Friday       Fine.                                  Min 22     Max 38

Saturday     Fine, humid change.                    Min 20     Max 34

Sunday       Fine.                                  Min 19     Max 30

Monday       Fine.                                  Min 20     Max 31

regards

Tyrone

We ended up with 39.5 here, but about 30% humidity for most of the day. Pigafetta's new leaf got a little scorched but everything else was OK.

It is raining here again...another 60mm today...a nice top up for the garden!

Daryl

(Wal @ Feb. 23 2008,18:27)

Hi Ari,

Were all the waterfall areas open at Litchfield ? I would love to see those places at this time of year, must be like Niagara falls. Any pics ?

Wal,

Open yes... swimming no!! I don't know whether you went to Buley rockhole last time... but there was so much water, that the rockholes were like rapid... Here is some photos.

post-512-1204032431_thumb.jpg

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"