IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Hemisphere Summer

Tyrone

Well, It looks like this summer is going to be a scorcher. Yesterday, Xmas day was 41C, the hottest Xmas reading since 1968, but today it has just reached 43.4C which is a record here for December. Even Garden Island, a few km's off shore has reached 43C, which must be a record. It's hard keeping humidity up in this situation.

So how hot have others got this southern summer?

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Its raining and only 25 c , was nice and overcast for Xmas yesterday .

Feel sorry for you over in WA , what a scorcher .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

The temp topped out at 44.2C which is the hottest Dec day since the 1880's. Michael 25C and raining sounds much better. It's probably close to 100% humidity for you I bet.

Tomorrow is cooling right off to a nice and humid 32C after an overnight min of 22C. I can live with that.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Its dropped down to a comfortable 24.6 c but still 98 % humidity , I could take these temps all summer long ... the garden is really enjoying its first decent rainfall . Been out emptying the bag of fert' , come on summer .

It has only reached the low 30's over here Tyrone & that was a week or so ago.

xmas day was only 25c & I was nearly looking for a pullover this morning while I was checking the surf  :D  :D , only got to 25 ish today also with a few showers.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

The temp topped out at 44.2C which is the hottest Dec day since the 1880's

Don't like the sound of this Tyrone, whatever happens in Perth , Adelaide usually gets two days later.

So far this summer our highest has been 39 C .

Adelaide, South Australia

Classic Mediterranean climate

Zone 10a, maybe zone 10b

Tyrone,

Here is the weather at 3 degrees South Latitude.  In spite of the fact that it is actually summer now in reality it is our winter since it is the rainy season.  I am sorry but I still have not gotten the Euterpe seed situation fixed, but I have not given up.  Now I have a second lot of seeds that have germinated.  Pretty soon I am gong to have an Euterpe precatoria forest.  It sure sounds hot over there.

dk

Current Weather Conditions

Eduardo Gomes International, Brazil

(SBEG) 03-02S 060-03W

Conditions at

2007.12.26 1000 UTC

Wind Calm

Visibility 1 mile(s)

Sky conditions mostly cloudy

Weather Patches of fog

Temperature 71 F (22 C)

Dew Point 69 F (21 C)

Relative Humidity 94%

Pressure (altimeter) 29.77 in. Hg (1008 hPa)

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Matt, that is quite cool, but you have humidity and that is everything.

Alan, yes you are right, you will get warm weather in the next couple of days, but whether it gets above 40C is another thing. Hopefully not.\

Hi Don, You gotta love the humidity you've got right now. Is that a 22C max? It sounds like you'll have that Euterpe forest going much quicker than you thought. LOL. Has your new little baby come along yet?

It's 8.30pm and the temp has now dropped to a cool 33C. I'm looking forward to the humid 33C forecast for tomorrow. I wish it would be humidity like Brazil though.

Best regards

Tyrone

Looks like we may have a cyclone forming in the Coral Sea which is expected to move down the coast by the weekend.  Coastal warnings have already been issued from Cardwell to Hervy Bay.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

It has not stopped raining since late yesterday afternoon . Over 30 cms and flood warnings , so I don't think I will bother going to work . The plants will not need watering , and I might get stuck by rising rivers .

Tyrone,

I will get you some seeds, I promise.  Our son Caio arrived on December 21st.  Everything is fine, I guess we could not ask for a better christmas present.  As to our weather it really does not vary much.  When it rains it does not get as hot.  But, for the most part the night time temperatures are about the same with a variation of 1 to 3 C at the most, from 21 C to 24 C.

As to humidity here about as low as it gets is 65 percent in the dry season.  The highest temperatures are at this time of the year which is from July to November and at the hotest it gets to around 40 C.  I flew up across the equator today to Boa Vista where it is technically winter, but it actually summer at 3 degrees north latitude.  

Here is the temperature here at 1800 hours today.  A bit drier than Manaus.

Current Weather Conditions

Boa Vista, Boa Vista Intl , Brazil

(SBBV) 02-50N 060-42W

Conditions at

2007.12.26 2300 UTC

Wind from the ENE (060 degrees) at 7 MPH (6 KT)

Visibility greater than 7 mile(s)

Sky conditions partly cloudy

Temperature 82 F (28 C)

Dew Point 64 F (18 C)

Relative Humidity 54%

Pressure (altimeter) 29.71 in. Hg (1006 hPa)

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don, Congratulations on the arrival of your new little boy. :)

In regards to the seed if it is too hard, don't worry too much. I think you'll have your hands full for a while anyway. Plant your new Euterpe forest for your new son.  :)

Today is much cooler and it's 29C at 10am with about a 19-20C dewpoint. Plants are loving this. It maxed out at an 84% RH last night and a min around 21C. There's a cyclone brewing up just south of Indonesia so that will start to control the weather next week.

Here's our forecast but I expect a few changes once the cyclone is officially recognised in a couple of days.

Forecast for Thursday

Fine and humid. Light winds becoming moderate SW during the morning and

freshening in the afternoon.

Precis:      Fine. Humid.                      

City:        Max 33

Mandurah:    Max 29

UV Index:    11 [Extreme] UV Alert from  9:10 to 17:20  

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH    

Hills:         VERY HIGH

Friday       Fine.                                  Min 17     Max 32

Saturday     Fine.                                  Min 16     Max 34

Sunday       Fine.                                  Min 19     Max 35

Monday       Fine.                                  Min 17     Max 35

Tuesday      Fine. Hot.                             Min 16     Max 37

Wednesday    Fine. Hot.                             Min 19     Max 39

regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

I ended up posting the message above 2 times.  Anyway it sure has been is hot over there, but it looks as if it has cooled down a bit.  With our climate for the most part things don't change much.  But, I don't mind that as you never really have to think much about the weather.  Even when it rains it is just a matter of taking cover for a while until it calms down.  I will get you some seeds. I think that things will settle down a bit so I can chase after the people at the Ministry of Agriculture.  It is just one of those Brazilian red tape things.  But, it is solveable.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

That tempeture's are unbelieveble! Good luck with the heat, 40C is a little to hot i think but the tempeture's that i have now the last couple day's around the 7-9C for the winterday's i find too cold :P

Robbin

Southwest

Mildest Christmas/New Year temps for over ten years here, nothing over 27c/81f. This morning I had to put a shirt on. Looking forward to rain soon, has been next to none for me whilst the south and north coast and far west have had a fair amount.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hopefully you'll get some rain soon Wal. That tropical disturbance north of you may push some good rain your way. No rain is forecast here until the second half of Jan, but it is our dry season.

regards

Tyrone

So far hottest has been 33,  with 38 predicted for Monday.

December was really wet,  with our area getting 2.5 times the normal December rainfall by the 20th.

Much central and south eastern australia has been subject to a series of low pressure troughs which brough vast amounts of rain to the interior over December.

Check this:  http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/climate/rainmaps.cgi?page=map&variable=totals&period=month&area=aus

But you will note WA has gone into its summer dry pattern, and FNQ is just getting big falls signifying the start of the wet.

Palms are loving this down here,  with the ground more damp than its been for several years .

I finished planting my Euterpe edulis forest [5]  and added more to the Chamaedorea tepejilote forest which now has an upper storey of 3 palms and a lower storey of another 4

Probably tonight after work,  I have 5-6  Chamaedorea costaricana to go into a small area,  and I have about 5 C. metallica to finally go in the ground.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Down here we have have had 30 C + days this Dec as always its up and down 20 c being the colder days.

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

As I suspected the other day, the recent very hot  weather in Perth Western Australia, reported by

Tyrone,has migrated eastwards to hit Adelaide and Melbourne.

Saturday in Adelaide was 40C (104F), Sunday was 41.5C (107F) , Sunday night didn't go below 30C (86F) our hottest Dec night since 1897.

Today Monday-New Years Eve- the forecast is 43C (109F). At 9.30am it had already passed 100F (38C).

I've had to bring some of my more sensitive potted palms and cycads indoors to escape the onslaught.

Adelaide, South Australia

Classic Mediterranean climate

Zone 10a, maybe zone 10b

You were right Alan. We have more 40C weather coming, so I spose it will come your way again too.

regards

Tyrone

Just got back from the south coast at Albany where the temps have been low twenties and nights around 13C. Came back to Perth where it's 32 and cloudy from all the tropical activity up north. Kind of eerie. Expecting a thunderstorm tonight.

Here is the forecast for the next few days. HOT.

Forecast for Tuesday   evening

Fine, but cloudy. Light to moderate E/SE winds, with coastal sea breezes,

shifting moderate to fresh E'ly this evening.

Precis:      Fine. Hot. Increasing cloud.      

Forecast for Wednesday

Cloudy, with the risk of a morning thundery shower. Fresh E/NE winds, easing in

the afternoon and tending S/SE.

Precis:      Very hot. Early thundery shower.  

City:        Min 20     Max 38

Mandurah:    Min 20     Max 36

UV Index:    11 [Extreme] UV Alert from  9:10 to 17:20  

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: VERY HIGH

Hills:         VERY HIGH

Thursday     Very hot. Fine.                        Min 25     Max 40

Friday       Fine.                                  Min 21     Max 33

Saturday     Fine.                                  Min 16     Max 32

Sunday       Fine.                                  Min 18     Max 35

Monday       Cloud increasing.                      Min 23     Max 40

Tuesday      Cloudy, possible shower.               Min 25     Max 39

regards

Tyrone

Well it's 32C at midnight with about 28% humidity and it's blowing a gale. The air feels similar to what comes through your radiator when you lift the car bonnet on a hot day. I know we all look forward to summer when you don't live in the tropics, but I can do without this. It's just too hot. 20C at night and a mildly humid 28C max would do me much better. I seem to get less damage to my plants in winter than summer now. IT'S TOO HOT.

Tyrone

yep, it's nice to have some heat, but when it turns all of your palms to crispy critters it's not much fun!

Luckily we don't get too many hot temps here, although at the moment I could do with  a little sunshine...haven't seen it since before Christmas

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Hi Tyrone, I share the same sentiments mate...too hot. That 44 degrees day we had last week caused some damage to the fronds of some Kentias. Especially those near the fence (additional heat and reflection). I've draped loose shade cloth over some of the affected ones. Even living near the beach the temps were hot, can't imagine those in the interior. The dry easterlys from the interior are very strong these past few days too. I'm hoping that the temps drop in the next couple of days once the remnants of the cyclone up north dissipates.

Heres hoping for a cool change.

Rahaidi

Mindaries (30kms North of Perth, Coastal)

@ Lat 31º 41' S Long 115º 42' E

Perth Western Australia

Yes Rahaidi, Kentias are just not made for this kind of heat. One of my big ones burns every year. It doesn't matter how much water you give it, it still burns. Foxtails and Bismarcks seem to sing along in this heat though. My coconut is moving at quite a pace now.

Daryl, I wish I could send you some sunlight, but for the last couple of days we've had none either. It's just coming out now after it hit 42C. I haven't seen such high temps with lots of clouds ever before. Really weird. At least you got some good rain. Up in the forest around Mt Tamborine must be just beautiful now, with everything wet and dripping and humid. I can just imagine the sight and smell of the forest. Wish I was there.  :)

regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, it is still pouring down..no letup for days. You are welcome to it!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I did not realise that we are talking weather :) :). We love weather stuff!! Anyway, it has been raining on and off, more on than off. But, nothing like Michael in Tully. We have been getting dregs.

Talking about cyclone, there is one brewing just past Wyndham (WA) and is predicted to do a U-Turn and going east to Gulf of Carpentaria. Although, there is another model that is predicting the cyclone to hit Darwin coast... Hhhmmmm. I think I'd rather have the heat!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, they are saying it will head east and affect nth Queensland, with the trough feeding rain down into sth Queensland, so yippee! more rain..LOL!

We have had 12 days of straight rain now. I think we got your monsoon...

Daryl

Tell me about it Daryl. The low has dragged the rain away.. Can't complain though, have to share with you guys down south  :D .

We had very good rain in the first 3 days of the monsoon. We had 274 in 3 days, which is good - not according to Michael in Tully, of course. But after that... we have been getting little bits, mind you... little bits for us is around 20-30mm, except for today (4.6mm  :angry:  :angry: ). Although, we might still get some more tonight.

But the low is very close to WA coast now and according to BOM is still moving west. If it makes it to land, then... it will continue on to WA and it is history and probably takes all the rain AGAIN with it.

Anyway, I have stocked up just in case. Woolies have been raided yet again. It is definitely fun living in the tropics :) :).

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi Ari,

Hopefully you will get some more good rain soon...and no big blow!

Springbrook, which is a town in the mountains about 25 mins from here has had over 500mm since new year's eve. The waterfalls up there must be looking great at the moment.

Daryl

I hope so too, Daryl, but this low is very unpredictable. I know they all are, but this one in particular. It is very slow moving, so basically can go and do anything. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

BTW, had 40mm in the last hour :). Very nice downpour tonight.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

(ariscott @ Jan. 03 2008,07:12)

Tell me about it Daryl. The low has dragged the rain away.. Can't complain though, have to share with you guys down south  :D .

We had very good rain in the first 3 days of the monsoon. We had 274 in 3 days, which is good - not according to Michael in Tully, of course. But after that... we have been getting little bits, mind you... little bits for us is around 20-30mm, except for today (4.6mm  :angry:  :angry: ). Although, we might still get some more tonight.

But the low is very close to WA coast now and according to BOM is still moving west. If it makes it to land, then... it will continue on to WA and it is history and probably takes all the rain AGAIN with it.

Anyway, I have stocked up just in case. Woolies have been raided yet again. It is definitely fun living in the tropics :) :).

hey Ari , are we talking mills or centimeters here ? 274 cms is a good bit of rain , but millimeters , thats just a light shower

Any rain for us at the moment would be an unseasonal blessing. 4.6mm a day would be great. That's nearly 150mm for a month........

regards

Tyrone

Michael,

it is mm not cm. That is why we never get Golden Gumboot. It is more than enough for us... I don't think our driveway would cope the continuous over 300mm rain like you do :) :). We always get better storm though, complete with lightning and the works. 80mm here last night.

Tyrone,

We always send cyclone to WA, but I guess the rain never gets to Perth. Well, we will see whether this low will develop into TC (apparently, if NT name it, it will be Helen) and either go east or west. If east, we will cope it... Time to tie down for us.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Helen starts to make land now... hopefully it won't go along the coast, and then it would be nasty (touch wood).

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

got my fingers crossed for you Ari , what a shame if it comes and blows away all your hard work ..

(aussiearoids @ Jan. 04 2008,19:41)

got my fingers crossed for you Ari , what a shame if it comes and blows away all your hard work ..

me too Ari, good luck to you and Scott. Pouring rain here at the moment, lovely stuff.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thanks Michael & Wal,

still preparing for the worst. Helen is about to cross near Channel Island, but it could still follow the coast and hit Darwin that way. Hopefully not. So, the next hour is crucial.

If it does cross, we might get a bit of wind and rain, but nothing more...  If it doesn't, I don't want to think about it. It is only Cat 2, so probably nothing for homes and property, but still huge on the garden.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari--

Hope you guys come through the cyclone with just some good rain. I'd hate to hear your hard work get undone.

Sorry if all us Floridians have been self-absorbed with our cold snap. Some of us would have probably traded a hurricane for cold, at least in thought...

Stay safe and keep us posted as you can.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Hold on tight Ari! Hopefully it will miss you. Fancy naming a cyclone 'Helen'!

Daryl