IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Your sense of humour

Walter John

Do you ever find that nobody gets it ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Sometimes I make attempts at being funny but I think often 'English humour' doesn't travel very well.  

I have to admit to being something of a secret admirer of your posts, though Wal (if that doesn't sound scary) - you usually make me grin.  Like your 'ruling the kingdom' post elsewhere.  Not usually enough to warrant making a comment, so maybe that is why you often believe it is falling on deaf or unappreciative ears.

'The Essex Riviera'

Southeast England, UK

winter min usually -5C

Summer max usually 35C

Rainfall usually 20" (500mm)

I have one, but its admittedly twisted, and pretty irreverent. My close friends say I have a "tattoo parlor" sense of humor...nothing's off limits, nothing's too gross.

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

I think Wal does it best on here, but I've read that "dry" humor, the kind you have to read between the lines, doesn't travel well on the internet. Usually, to get the point across, you have to be more graphic, and that might get you censored.

Dick

Richard Douglas

(metalfan @ Dec. 22 2007,08:14)

I have one, but its admittedly twisted, and pretty irreverent. My close friends say I have a "tattoo parlor" sense of humor...nothing's off limits, nothing's too gross.

Gina,

Ohhhh, you would fit right in with Andrea and I. There's pretty much nothing off limits in our house, especially during our parties. :D

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

My humor runs to practical jokes, sarcasm and down right dumb jokes.

The sarcasm is what gets me into trouble.

Jeremiah

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I've been questioning, recently, whether or not i have become humourless, because there are so many things that I used to find funny, but no longer do.  I still find myself funny, but I'm not sure that anyone else does.  I suppose it's part of my ageing process that I now find more things amusing, rather than hilarious, which is a shame.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(Jeff Searle @ Dec. 22 2007,06:53)

(metalfan @ Dec. 22 2007,08:14)

Gina,

Ohhhh, you would fit right in with Andrea and I. There's pretty much nothing off limits in our house, especially during our parties. :D

Jeff

It looks like my trip to Florida will have to be sooner than later.....Tattoo and good jokes....I like it! :P

But I've lost my sense of humor recently, I probably just left it under something around this mess of a house/palm ranch/addition.  I hope to find it soon and try it on and see if it still fits.

Luckily I always find it just before I go on a trip with any of the PRA folk!

Wal, while I may not respond to all your posts, I make it a point to look at almost all you posts and I smile or laugh heartily at 95% of them!

BS Man

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Jeff, I liked you already, now I know why.

Once I went to get some work done on my back tat and while I was sitting there waiting for my artist (female) to set up a dude came in asking to talk to someone about a "special" tattoo. The receptionist, who is a dude, asked him by what he meant by "special", and he said it would be on a "special" body part (you know where this one is going, right?) So of course I suggested that they call my artist up front because at that time I was with a female artist, and I wanted to put her on the spot so to speak.

SO she comes out, totally unsuspecting, and this guy's like, "Yeah, I want a big snake that will wrap completely around my ----."

Mod edit: Sorry all. After several reconsiderations I felt it best to "clean" this up a bit. Some of the more graphical part of this story was removed. It may still be too risque for some, but I will try and stay just "inside the lines."

Later after he left, we made him the unfortunate butt of a lot of sick humor.

See, we can't do stuff like that here on PT so I appear humorless.

You should have seen the looks I got when I went in to have mine tatooed. I told them I wanted a full sleeve...

I'm joking. I'll probably be the last person I know to get a tat. But when I do, it will be a bitchin' palm. Just not the aforementioned sleeve.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I believe we're crossing the line for what's acceptable... ???

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

See, I told'ja. That's why many people here think I don't have a sense of humor. All my humor is unacceptable, because it's "real life" humor. Its situational stuff that really happens to me. But I can only repeat it face to face among real friends, who won't censor me. Or ban me. Everyone has these things that happen to them that are a little off color, but none-the-less extremely funny. Too bad we can't share them here.

(metalfan @ Dec. 22 2007,23:52)

See, I told'ja. That's why many people here think I don't have a sense of humor. All my humor is unacceptable, because it's "real life" humor. Its situational stuff that really happens to me. But I can only repeat it face to face among real friends, who won't censor me. Or ban me. Everyone has these things that happen to them that are a little off color, but none-the-less extremely funny. Too bad we can't share them here.

The moderator is always up for suggestions and I see a chat Room as a viability for these type of IPS censorable conversations.

Chat room a chance dear moderators ?

Mod Response: I had hoped all of you realized that if the choices about what would be allowed here were mine alone, a much wider range of topics would be allowed. And a chat room would be acceptable. However, the IPS board members have made it very clear they do not want anything anywhere on their website that anyone could interpret as offensive.

As Bo mentions below, we are lucky to have even a tame off topic sub-forum at this point.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal,

I can pretty much guarantee you that the IPS Board would never agree to an IPS sponsored chatroom, or any other venue, with topics that are potentially more controversial than what the guidelines on PalmTalk allow for. Some IPS Board members would like for PalmTalk to be restricted to discussions about palms ONLY, and it was tough enough to get approval for the Ohana Nui sub-forum. Let's not blow it!!

And Gina,

I come across plenty of funny situations that can be referred to as "real life humor", and they certainly don't have to involve vulgarity. But, then again, maybe I'm not exposing myself to "real life humor" that's REALLY hilarious!? :P Probably need to get out more...busy planting too many palms....

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(metalfan @ Dec. 22 2007,17:52)

Gina-

You can always PM me with any humour you need to get off your chest!  :D:P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Well, when I went to the tattoo parlour and demanded a python, they suggested an earthworm instead.  No idea what they meant... :)

'The Essex Riviera'

Southeast England, UK

winter min usually -5C

Summer max usually 35C

Rainfall usually 20" (500mm)

BS man, I can see it now....you're "Only a Lad", eh?

Paul, little red earthworm, or nightcrawler? There's a sort of a difference there. Did they ask you for the standard $100 extra for the location, LOL?

I have a supremely creative friend who gets so fed up with the inanity (is that a real word?) of the everyday conversations where she works that she started ending every answer to every stoopid question or remark that she gets asked or hit with with some statement that could only be construed as acutely manic or paranoid schizophrenic. She does one for a while, then suddenly switches to a new one without warning. Her latest favorite is to end every statement with "...in fulfillment of the Prophecy", as in when someone asks her something dumb like "Wow did you hear on Entertainment Tonight that Britney Spear's 16 year old sister is pregnant????" like this is some sort of really interesting and important news for mankind, she might say something like "Yes, and the baby will be born with a caul, in fulfillment of the Prophecy" and turn and walk away.

Bo, I'm sorry you find me vulgar. I guess I was the only one who thought MattyB's post of his info-commercial for the plastic testicles was humorous, as it got yanked, I guess, don't see it anymore. I was going to order a pair as a joke for someone I know. Pretty darn hilarious.

Without humor,life is just "rearranging the furniture on the deck of the Titanic."Just about everything I say and do includes vast quanities of very dark,Saturnalian stuff(see Phil Hendrie).Unfortunately I am misconstrued over and over again.

What you look for is what is looking

There are things that are humorous across cultural lines and others thay one only appreaciates when they learn a language fluently and gain a deep understanding of another culture.  I consider a person to be fluent in another language when they can grasp the subtlies of humor.  I think I would consider language to be more specific than the general language but that spoken by a specific country or ethnic community.  There are of course differences in humor among speakers of the same language.  That is unless you consider American and English to be two different languages.  I think that humor is one of principal mechanisms one can use to make it through life retaining your sanity.   If you can not look at the funny side of life it is not much worth living.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

(bubba @ Dec. 23 2007,05:20)

Without humor,life is just "rearranging the furniture on the deck of the Titanic."Just about everything I say and do includes vast quanities of very dark,Saturnalian stuff(see Phil Hendrie).Unfortunately I am misconstrued over and over again.

Where is Phil now?  He was on out here in LA for some time.

(metalfan @ Dec. 23 2007,05:14)

BS man, I can see it now....you're "Only a Lad", eh?

BS stands for "Boy Scout" too.......   :D

Gina,

I never said that I found you vulgar. As a matter of fact, I find your posts entertaining, enjoyable and interesting, and I'm glad you're an active part of PalmTalk. However, the guidelines clearly state "nothing that's sexually explicit". If your post was simply borderline, or whether it fell directly in that category can be argued, since this is not an easy thing to define, and we all probably have different viewpoints. I just wanted to make sure that this thread didn't head further into forbidden territory.

Bo-Göran

BS,Phil Hendrie is in a secure bunker with Ex-General Jonathan Jameson located 300 miles below the Manitoba crust somewhere in Western Canada.You may recall this was necessary after he and Al Gore got into a fist fight over Armagedon and Global Warming.Hendrie joined Jameson after Jameson purchased an 84 year supply of a very rare brand of 112 year old Scotch Whiskey.(rather large supply)The 84 year supply was reached after extensive negotiations between he and Phil and was based upon Phil's belief that Jameson's estimate of 42 years before Armagedon may be innaccurate.Phil only communicates via teletype sent directly to high ranking officials in the Chinese Government.These communications are therafter distributed on a pari passu basis to the highest bidder. Word has it that these comuniques are taking on a severe Castro tone.We can only pray for the health and continued mental clarity of Mr. Hendrie. Apparently he is now severly slurring his words.

This is why I wear a personal coathanger hat twisted around my head. It deflects the enemy signals when they are trying to steal my thoughts.

Thanks, Bo.

Bubba - are you sure Mr. Hendrie's slurred speach might not be a result of injuries from his illustrious football career?

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(BS, Man about Palms @ Dec. 22 2007,21:20)

(metalfan @ Dec. 22 2007,17:52)

Gina-

You can always PM me with any humour you need to get off your chest!  :D:P

That was goooood!!

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Paul S @ Dec. 23 2007,04:13)

Well, when I went to the tattoo parlour and demanded a python, they suggested an earthworm instead.  No idea what they meant... :)

That was even better !!  lol :D

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Sometimes I think I say something humourous, but my mouth forgets to smile. :P  The brain dosen't work very fast sometimes. :P

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Terry, Was Hendrie a baller?Never had the occasion to see that one.You may want to question Phil about his escapades with Brian Cox in South Florida.(formerDolfin,Chicago linebacker)Then again, you may want to defer those questions to respective parties attorney's.(Oh,the horror,the humanity)

I think I have a sense of humor. I enjoy a lot of Wal's and Paul, and Paul and Matty's stuff. I tend to have a twisted sense of humor. Eh, I just like to laugh sometimes.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

(Wal @ Dec. 22 2007,05:11)

Of course.  That is why I married my wife, she laughed at all of my stupid jokes, even when I knew they were stupid.  15 years and she still laughes at most of them.  If she ever quits completely, then I am hiring the PI.   :D

As for the rest of you, well, we are just friends.  :cool:

PS - It is quite OK for you to laugh at me, if not with me, so long as you laugh.   :D  :D.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

(keiththibodeaux @ Dec. 25 2007,05:08)

(Wal @ Dec. 22 2007,05:11)

Of course.  That is why I married my wife, she laughed at all of my stupid jokes, even when I knew they were stupid.  15 years and she still laughes at most of them.  If she ever quits completely, then I am hiring the PI.   :D

As for the rest of you, well, we are just friends.  :cool:

PS - It is quite OK for you to laugh at me, if not with me, so long as you laugh.   :D  :D.

And..................a la Eric Idle

always look on the bright side of life

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I married my husband because he's into leather. 26 years later, he's still into leather. Go figure.

At 3:00 AM I heard a bumping sound and since it's Xmas morning, I thought it was Santa on my roof, but it was one of my dogs scratching to get out to pee. I was to late getting up a she had already peed on the carpet. By the time I cleaned that up, I was wide awake, so a cup of coffee and to my computer. I think I'm the only palm person on Earth on Palmtalk this morning.

Where are you Aussies or you Brits or you East coast people?  It should be computer time there, or are you to busy opening presents?

Dick

Richard Douglas

Vulgar, childish, foolish, scatological, you name it, I like it. . . . .

I believe that for every five minutes you spend laughing, it lengthens your life by a minute or two.

Giggle . . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I think so.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

This thread reminded me of an incident that happened about 20 years ago.  It was early in the morning at work and me and two of the secretaries were the first in the office.  I had just gotten my first cup of coffee and was leaning over the counter chatting with them.  I noticed one of the secretaries had gotten a new THE FAR SIDE calendar by Gary Larson.  It was one of those big glossy monthly calendars and on each month they had one of his cartoons in color.  I picked up the calendar and was leafing through the months.  When I got to June, I burst out laughing.  Both of the secretaries had been watching me and when I started laughing over June they came up to me and said they didn't understand that one at all.  I said if I had to explain it, it wouldn't be funny.  They insisted I explain it...and they still didn't get it.

Anyway, the June cartoon was a simple little bucholic forest setting in which were placed five, huge, garish appliances which were absolutely impossible to miss...a stove, a refrigerator, a TV set, a washer, a vacuum cleaner.  The caption read, "Hey kids!  Can you find the hidden appliances in this picture?"

-Ron-

-Ron-

Please click my Inspired button. http://yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=384

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

The Far Side is hands down my most favorite comic I have ever had. That guy was a genius. The only other that ever came close for me was Doonesbury during Zonker's Plough years of competitive suntanning, and the Phred the Terrorist segments.