IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Just wanted to share

MattyB

I work as a signage contractor to make a living.  The job consists mostly of reading blueprints, bidding jobs, drawing graphics for approval by architects/customers, fabricating signage and buying custom products from wholesale manufacturers, and installation of the signs.  We mostly do ADA, Braille signage for school construction, or engraved signs for BEQ's (Bachelor Enlisted Quarters) for the military, anything with a lot of doors which need signs at every door.  We also do all the metal building/address lettering, bronze plaques, changeable marquees, etc. that you see at these types of places.  Here's some pics of stuff that we (my Dad and I are partners) have done.

Hedenkamp-023.jpg

Typical ADA raised lettering w/ CA grade II braille sign.  ADA code states that the lettering must contrast 70% w/ the background and be raised a minimum of 1/32".  CA grade II braille is rounded tops and raised 1/40" and it uses contractions and short hand for quicker reading.  Each sign is it's own "one up" custom piece so they are pricey for how small an item they are.

BldgCMatt.jpg

Me on a ladder at Oceanside High School putting up cast aluminum building identification letters.  That's about as high as I go on a ladder.

Chubb-007.jpg

We do lots of bronze plaques but this one was pretty cool.  A photograph was scanned in and the bronze was actually etched to form this image.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

BronzePlaques001.jpg

Bronze plaque at the entrance of Oceanside High School.  You may have driven by these out front.  We did all the plaques and aluminum lettering on OHS.

4-16-03003.jpg

Spacing and drilling template applied and we're drilling into stucco at La Jolla High School

4-16-03011.jpg

Final product.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

CYMER-001.jpg

Stainless steel lettering on crazy 3 dimensional routed HDF (high density fiberboard) @ CYMER in Rancho Bernardo.

GrandOpening-002.jpg

Rincon Indian Reservation Fire Station

GrandOpening-003.jpg

Reflective truck decals

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Thrift-032.jpg

Thrift Korral on La Mesa Blvd.  Woah, that guys shorts are way too short.  Hey, 1982 called, it wants it shorts back!

Thrift-029.jpg

These were Cellulose Acetate Butyrate (CAB) letters.  They're molded plastic but the plastic is made from wood and cotton fibers, not petroleum so they're super strong.

Lifeguard-003.jpg

Pacific Beach Lifeguard Station

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

HigherEd-005.jpg

Southwestern College Higher Education Center @ Otay Mesa.  Illuminated Directory.

TortilleriaLily-013.jpg

Tortilleria Lily in City Heights.  They pump out thousands of fresh corn tortillas everyday.  The smell was awesome!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Sometimes the funnest part is the graphics work I get to do.  I work in Corel Draw and prepare artwork for architect and customer approval and vectored artwork to run CNC routing machines for cutting metal and for making screens for screenprinting, etc....

Lemon Grove School District wanted a banner and they wanted a school house graphic on it.  Well I couldn't find any good schoolhouse clipart in my files so I modified a few different ones to make it work.  Here's the process:

church.jpg

I started with this piece which is actually supposed to be a church but it dosen't look like a schoolhouse unless there's kids there right?

inline.jpg

So I grabbed this piece of people waiting in line.

Graphic1.jpg

And viola!    Schoolhouse with kids filling in for class.  Notice how I turned the pine trees into palms.  Yeahhhh!!!!!!! :laugh:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Graphic2.jpg

And here's how the final product will look.  It's gonna be a 3' x 15' printed banner and it'll be flying over the Lemon in Lemon Grove on their banner poles.

Thanks for letting me share.

What do you do?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

wow,you really DO have a job! i thought you just sat by the freeway off-ramp & pan-handled all day with a sign that said "will work 4 palms" :D

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Looks like a fun and rewarding job with a chance to be creative, and nice to get out and about during the workday.

Better go back and check the spelling of "Reservation' on that fire truck, though....

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

Made ya look!

But 'Korral', come ON.  Couldn't you talk them out of that? ???

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

You couldn't get me up on a ladder that tall. Me and ladders don't mix, but I like your signs!

So how did you get to star in the BALLS website?

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

And all this time I thought you took vacations for a living. :P

Looks like you have a nice balance of work on and off your desk.

Cool toys you get to play around with your work.  When your palms are really tall already you can use those "lifts" to reach the crowns.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

I've seen most all of those signs as I drive thruout the county. I've even had some pointed out to me personally by the Mattman! I suspect Matty and I travel around the most areas in San Diego, Maybe Palmgrover too.

I fix Heat and A/C systems over a 250 mile radius, although most of it by far is within a 100 mile radius.  I usually go on the long trips when they don't want a 2nd trip out.  I'm chief troubleshooter at my place.

That and 50 cents gets you on the bus!!!  :)

I'll show you how to use a ladder!  You haven't lived till you set a 20' ladder on top  of a work van to get up on a roof!!   Now I just use my 28' extension and "jump" the last bit.  its coming back over thats the scary part.   I suspect you are good at "one-handed ladder climbing" also?   Its only scary on the mounted ladders till you're used to it, you gotta carry tools, etc up.  I guess carrying a 40-50lb. compresser on my shoulder up an extension ladder to the roof would count as one of my more questionable moves.

Oh yes, stellar work, Rutger.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hey Bill, do you ever get to crawl through heating ducts like they do in movies? You know, the ones hanging by wires, wide enough for a man to slide through, and strong enough to support you and an evil henchman chasing you through duct. They also appear to be soundproof to anyone on the room below, as well as bulletproof.

Just curious.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I worked in some big systems, some you could crawl into, but quiet and strong enough for a person, they ain't .  Only in Hollywood, are things bigger, faster, stronger and brighter.  :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

that queen palm went from a tiny seedling at La jolla Highschool to a 25ft tall palm all in the time it took to put up the lettering! (or is it just outside the first picture?)

looks like fun, I thought you partyed for a living also kinda like paris hilton....hehe

Currently I run a car stereo shop and do all that nifty installation stuff.  professional now over 4 years. I have 1 more year left in college then the world is my playground.!! :P

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Matt, nice work there. That CYMER presentation is pretty sweet.

I have a really good friend that does the same for a profession. He's the guy who loves his job more than any other person I know, it sounds like a nice gig.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador