IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Welcome To Kris Garden

Kris

(nomolos @ Mar. 22 2008,04:05)

Nice travellers palm!

thanks dear Sol..and it's been a while we heard from you...

and your new house is very nice,like seeing it in a bond movie..looks very hi-tech !  :)

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

here is one yucco sent to me by M@x,and it has grown so big in 8 months that its roots are lifting up from the pot,soon it has to be repotted... :D

post-108-1206200350_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

This cycas Revoulta is around 6 months old raised from seeds,and if you need to know the exact details visit the cycas maintanence threads for any info on that.every 3 months its putting out new spears & its more sturdier to moth infection !

post-108-1206200576_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Zamia cycas(cardboard palm) recently bought from lalbagh Govt nursery_banglore.its growth rate is fabulous and to see more of it visit zamia cycas maintanence thread... :)

post-108-1206200765_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here is a yucco,also purschased from lalbagh govt nursery...

the bigger specimens were so beautiful that i bought a small one for our house...since i had to send it by train to chennai !

post-108-1206200935_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And breha armeda fan's do not scould me for not putting this baby into a big pot or barrel ! i have kept this as back-up palm,since just in case if the big ones when planted on the ground conks off then this will be placed in those barrels for retry...if not used then it will go to goverment gardens,since its the final destination for all the doubles in our garden..since its getting a bit cramped up....!  :D

post-108-1206201227_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Lets see the draconean Draco(dragon blood tree),sent to me by M@x through Air...all i had to do is place it in granite chips as the potting medium and its placed in full sun light and rainfall..and many in our forum had predicted that these will never grow in tropical wet hot climate..! but its nearly a 8 months in our place and its doing just fine and new leaves have also emerged.

though the onces tried from seeds just damped-off due to over watering !

And M@x thanks a lot for that special gift..since i love this specie so much of all the dracena's.. :)

post-108-1206257113_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here is a yucco,collected from the wild here in south india..

its also placed in high porous sand and no add-on's.since one rotted which was placed in regular soil mix !

post-108-1206257330_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Kris,

I spent two absolutely wonderful hours "visiting" you. Thank you for introducing your lovely family and diverse plants.

Keep up the good work!

My best regards to you & your family!

• Upvote 2

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

Dear Simona  :)

thanks for your time !  :) And iam very glad you liked it....

lots of love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 9 months later...

It looks like a Chamaedoria to me. C. radicalis? Does it fruit? Orange or Black fruit? Like round berries, right?

Brian Bruning

• 5 months later...

Dear Kris!

Congratulations to you! It is a wonderful garden and I can see the hard work to buid it.

Thank you too for the fotos of your wife, our assistants and your pets!

I try to find out some IDs - perhaps you have them, meanwhile :winkie:

Cassia alata #114 ff

post-108-1169996068_thumb.jpg

Lucky bamboo = Dracaena Sanderiana #169

post-108-1170140709_thumb.jpg

Monstera deliciosa #174

post-108-1170142382_thumb.jpg

Dracaena marginata #181

Yucco_Redleaf.jpg

Edited by 8er-moni

Greetings from a litte village near Salzburg/Austria

Moni

11152.gif

USDA 5b (up to -26° C)

It is very hard for me to see, how many plants are growing around the the world, which I don't have in my collection!!!!

....... :winkie:

Licuala grandis #184

post-108-1170227326_thumb.jpg

Hippeastrum .... #225

post-108-1171032911_thumb.jpg

perhaps Trachycarpus --- but Ih am not shure, if they can grow so good in the warm climate? #297/298

post-108-1183531794_thumb.jpg

It is very interesting for me to see, how plants grow in warm climate whole over the the year, although potted :blink:

Greetings from a litte village near Salzburg/Austria

Moni

11152.gif

USDA 5b (up to -26° C)

It is very hard for me to see, how many plants are growing around the the world, which I don't have in my collection!!!!

Dear Brian & Dear Monika :)

Thanks for visiting this thread & also for taking pains in IDying some of the plants who's names i do not have any knowledge off. :)

Lots of love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 10 months later...

Just few days back,we planted this Sabal River side Palm..this palm was rised from the seeds purschased online.

post-108-12733305841283_thumb.jpg

post-108-12733306524627_thumb.jpg

And more details of this work can be found in a new thread,that iam about to start in a couple of days.

Love,

kris :)

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Wow, high heat and humidity sure makes them look different there Kris!

Glad to see it in the ground! (I should talk!)

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wow, high heat and humidity sure makes them look different there Kris!

Glad to see it in the ground! (I should talk!)

Kris, I haven't seen this thread and I'm glad I took the tour through your garden and a glimpse into your soul. My garden is so important to me and I see that it is to you too. Continued success in Chennai. Kind regards, Peter

• Upvote 2

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

I really do like it when old threads get brought back. With so much history and over 12,000 topics and almost 200,000 replies there is just no way for a newcomer to really get to know that history, except for occasional glimpses from conversations of long time members referring to some common experiences, which can initiate a search for me. But bringing up old threads adds a new level of understanding into how important this forum has been to it's members, and lets us newbies get to know some of you without being too nosy!

Just a round about way of saying thanks to Kris for showing us his beautiful garden and how it evolved, as your family lives there in it's midst, you changing it and it changing you. I also got to learn the real names of some of my houseplants!:D

Thank you!

Susan

Edited by GTClover
  • Upvote 1

Dear Mike & Dear Susan :)

Thanks for visiting & for keying in those kind remarks...

Lots of love,

By the way lots of new palms have been planted in the ground,i will update this thread with those visuals soon...:)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thank you for the photos of your garden, both past and present. Fascinating how many of those plants grow here also at my place or around my suburb. Dont worry about not getting a Toyota....they are over rated !!! I know, I have one ! I envy your rooftop garden very much, that is one dream I always had but never managed to find a house with a suitable roof. I did think about using the top of the carport for a while but it wouldnt take any weight without bending in the middle.

Peachy

• Upvote 2

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Kris, I took another long look at this thread and enjoyed it, the posts by others and your posts as well. It takes a long time to download pictures through my wireless internet service at the beach house so I waited to come into the city where I have much faster service. You know we´re going to ask for updates on all of your beautiful plants!

One question my friend, who is Pana Rasiga?

yours, Peter

• Upvote 1

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Dear robyn :)

Thanks,and in south india most of our houses are built using concrete,brick,cement plastring.So there is no wood.And so the housing structures are able to house heavier loads of weight on our roof top,So i made the full use of that free space and even its safe from rodents,pets damaging all exocitic palm seedlings which we raised from seeds given mostly by our forum friends...:)

Dear Peter :)

Thanks for your time,And sure i will update this threads with all new palm plantings..But iam sure even then it will not look as beautiful as your place,which is stunningly beautiful & very relaxing due to the proximity to the sea ! :)

And the term 'Pana Rasiga' means a person who is in love with palm trees,that is what it means in our regional language_Tamil.And it has nothing to do with the person seen in my avatar..:D

Thanks & Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hi Kris,

What a long thread, very interesting, love all the different types of plants you are growing and all the pots everywhere. Best of all I love the satellite dish used for shade - now that is thinking. Great garden, keep up all the hard work.

Regards

Stephen

• Upvote 1

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

• 3 years later...

Kris, I think we are long overdue for some updates on this. Are you still in the same home? Have more plants made it in the ground from your container ranch?

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Kris, I think we are long overdue for some updates on this. Are you still in the same home? Have more plants made it in the ground from your container ranch?

Hi Keith,

You have lots of patience,Even i have forgotten some of my old threads.And kindly excuse me for the late reply.Only once a week i sit in front of my PC which has broadband connection.Rest of the time i visit our forum through my smart phone,which i find difficult to type replies in its touch pad keyboard.

And iam still living in that very home seen above,Many palms have been planted in the ground,few even perished.And some of my assistants have also left in pursuit of higher salaries.They now drive light commercial vehicle which is a lucrative job at the moment.So the speed of my palm related activity has gone down.But not my enthusiasm.And since now i have a family with a child,i do spend more time with them.

And if you search for palm maintenance threads you will certainly find lots of update in it.

This month i have my birthday coming,i will try to plant a Medemia argun palm in the ground with planting medium Fine tuned as i have done for our Washy Filifera palm.

Thanks & Love,

kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

absolutely nice Kris :greenthumb:

Hi Jack Sparrow,

Thanks very much and here's a still that depicts my current sate of mind ! :winkie:

post-108-0-79041200-1378622528_thumb.jpg

Love,

kris.

Edited by Kris
  • Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris.

All we need is some pics of your collection :) , or, if I dare asking you, of the landscape around your place; do you have plenty of coconuts? Palmyra? Talipot? Areca? Livistona?

Is it very dry and hot or tropical and humid?

Best regards

Philippe

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Hi Philippe,

Our climate here is typically hot & humid.For 3 years at a stretch with good monsoon rains and the next 2 years it could be a sought of drought.But basically hot through out the year.

And i live in the heart of the city...i.e concrete jungle,inspite of that every building would have a neem tree,or coconut tree.But in the out skirts we have the palymara trees.

And most of my palm related activity are found in 'Palm Maintenance' threads.Kindly use the search engine of this forum.

Thanks & Love,

kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif