IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Welcome To Kris Garden

Kris

An unknown soldier_Plant I.D not known.

the plant is 6 to 7 years old.and if placed in the

it will clump.and grow to 8 to 12 feet tall.with

all rope like leaves !

post-108-1169999128_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

these plants are called_Sava elai (locally).if you

have I.D's please share.

My MOM cooks delicausy using this leaves.its really

mouth watering_I think i must send a receipe of this

to Dave from so cal since he is very interested in

cooking. :)

post-108-1170000035_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

this is a yucca commonly seen in our highways !

and it is believed that snakes hides in these plants..

post-108-1170000264_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

this is called here as ornemantal Musa.it is believed that

they grow trunk as the travellers palm do.hard palm

like trunk !

its not in good shape at present_due to root rot as the water

flow vent is blocked.needs maintanence work to be done !

post-108-1170000552_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

These guys are all new additions to our garden !

Med Fan palm_Green Form_

IMG_0791.jpg

Breha but what species of breha,not known_I.D Please.it was

sold to me as Med Fan Palm Ver.Blue form_

IMG_0790.jpg

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Well done Kris,

thanks for the pictures of your garden, are there many other gardens near you that have palms?

enjoyed the pictures

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Like Bo says - some threads take a life of its own. And i am not going to let that go wrong.

Talking of jackfruit - here is a tidbit. It is one of the three fruits that sages called Mukkani - loosely translated it means "three fruits" - the other two are mango and banana. Diced and eaten together - they make one of the most delicios fruit salads you would ever taste.

Some jackfruits (specially those cultivars that come from Kerala - another state in India) are sweeter than honey. Just one bite is worth living for.

Ofcourse cutting them and taking the fruits apart individually is a herculean feat. It used to be a big ceremony during my childhood. My father had the big task of cutting open the giant fruit. I mean truly a giant - a real good one could weigh about 40 pounds easy. The smell of the fruit is not unbearable as some would say. The reason why jackfruit got a bad rap is because of durian - the other similar looking but smaller fruit - known singularly for its odor. But jackfruit is a lot more bearable - and definitely not unbearable.

Pretty much every part of the fruit is eaten - except the outer skin. Shavings of the seeds are used to make some nice chips.

So - much for a life of its own :-)

joseph

www.ortanique.com

SF Bay Area, CA

Kris,

Thanks a lot for all the pictures!

And Joseph,

Mukkani sounds tempting - will have to try it here when I can get all 3 from the Hilo Farmer's Market. And I happen to think the smell of durian is very pleasant - almost intoxicating!

Once in Bali, I had hired a car with a driver and we stopped at an open market. They were selling durians, so I asked the driver if he had any objections to me buying one. He said 'no, no problem'. And on the entire 2 hour drive back to the hotel, the two of us enjoyed the incredible smell which filled the inside of the car. And back at the hotel, I walked quickly to my room...

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dear Joseph & Bo Goran  :)

We at our house consume all the 3 Kani's.and the term

mukkani is purely Dravidian(Tamil word 3 primary fruits).

in just 2 months we will have these fruits flooding the market place.

those 3 fruits are Mangoes,Jack fruit & Banana.

other than jack fruit we have mango & banana tree.

You both seem to know everything pertaning to world

economics & food habits_WoW !  :)

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(Dave from So-Cal @ Aug. 21 2006,23:20)

(krisachar @ Aug. 21 2006,11:14)

our neem tree acts as a wall or barrier against

neighbouring buildings thus giving much wanted

privacy !

Hmm.  If my memory serves, you cook with it, right?

dave

Kris, thanks for the pics. You have a great looking garden! Your house looks very nice too, it looks like you had lots of living space before the palms took over all the rooms :)  I hope to make a trip to some points in India in the near future. ( probably within 3-4 years, if you can call that the near future)

And Dave, not only does the neem tree have culinary and medicinal uses, but it is the best control for spider mites I have ever used! (neem oil)

Regards, Mike

Zone 5? East Lansing MI

(krisachar @ Jan. 28 2007,11:00)

these plants are called_Sava elai (locally).if you

have I.D's please share.

My MOM cooks delicausy using this leaves.its really

mouth watering_I think i must send a receipe of this

to Dave from so cal since he is very interested in

cooking. :)

Kris , this plant is Xanthosoma sagittifolia

from Brazil , is used as a food crop in many areas and has numerous local names , I have heard Yautia , Coco Yam, used for the tubers , and in Brazil the leaves are called ,Taioba . I grow them and find the tubers delicous cooked , very prolific , got a large bucket of small corms from a large well mulched plant in 1 season . You can get a few colour variants in tuber flesh as well as leaf , some different species involved but all edible and easy to grow .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

(krisachar @ Jan. 28 2007,10:50)

Some thorny plants_I.D's Not known !

That one, and the red-flowered form after it, look like Euphorbias, a bit larger than the mili that is very popular here.  On page 3, the 14th-15th posts (I think) of the yellow flower - the bloom looks similar to a Cassia (Senna), anyone else think so?

Thanks for bumping this thread!  I think I missed it last time somehow.  Your bottle palm is a beauty!  As are your D. lutescens (referred to as areca), triangle and the others - your property looks like a botanical garden - what a place, it definitely shows your gardening skill and love of plants :)

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Kris,

You have a very nice garden with a nice mixture of palms, trees and flowers. Keep up the good work.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Kris - wow, wow, wow - these "stills" are a window open towards your whole exotic life. Fantastic: I like the pottery, I like your plants, I like your praying room  shown on the other thread.

Carlo, Tenerife

P.S.The climber in post N.5 looks like Philodendron lacerum, from the Caribbean.

Kris, regarding your post # 128  -  this link might be interesting to read - Xanthosoma / Colocasia

elephant ear plants

Your posts # 124 & 125 are Euphorbia milii (Crown of Thorns, Christ's Thorn).  There are many different forms and colors.  I've heard that many new hybrids have come out of Thailand.  I have a few - see 3 pics below . . .

post-90-1170108072_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

a different form . . .

post-90-1170108150_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

another . . .

post-90-1170108207_thumb.jpg

Nice sunsets!

Kris,

Couldn't help notice the bamboo in some of your pictures.  What species do you grow, and have you been affected by the recent flowering of Melocanna baccifera?  It makes fruit the size of a pear.