IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another CA freeze/frost possible

Palmy

Quoted from NOAA SF Bay area 3:09PM DEC 17

"A

COLD FRONT PUSHES ACROSS THURSDAY. EACH MODEL RUN IS WETTER WITH THIS

SYSTEM...BUT THE WINDS LOOK TO BE LESS. THIS SYSTEM WILL HAVE MUCH

MORE COLD AIR WITH IT...SO HAVE MENTIONED SNOW DOWN TO 2500 FEET.

WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED TO SEE A COATING OF SNOW FRIDAY MORNING IN THE

HILLS.

RIDGING BUILDS OVERHEAD FRIDAY INTO THE WEEKEND. FRIDAY AND SATURDAY

MORNING LOOK TO BE QUITE COLD...WITH 20S AND 30S POSSIBLY WIDESPREAD

ACROSS THE DISTRICT. THERE ARE TIMING ISSUES BUT IT LOOKS LIKE

ANOTHER ROUND OF RAIN AND WIND IS POSSIBLE AROUND CHRISTMAS EVE"

Perhaps a white christmas in the hills? Looks like its going to be a tad chilly this weekend into early next week. Might want to make sure those 20F's dont do any damage in Nor Cal. Just a heads up.

I was supprised with the last mini-freeze and I am going to be prepared for this one.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

The strong winds and drenching rain from this latest front never materalized in Walnut Creek. Just light rain, but constant. About 1/2 inch here. At least it's somewhat warmer.....57F at 3:30 PM.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dallas Rains (local weatherman) said that temps in the Valleys Sunday night would get to 31F!!!!!!  :o

YIKES!!!!!!

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(Scott @ Dec. 18 2007,22:01)

Dallas Rains (local weatherman) said that temps in the Valleys Sunday night would get to 31F!!!!!!  :o

YIKES!!!!!!

I love Dallas, he's a cool dude...  Seriously, I watch him most nights...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Jack

The last American Meteorological Society meeting was hosted by Dallas Raines at Channel 7 studios.  You are warmly welcome to join us [all LA gardeners.  We meet monthly usually and have great discussions  :P

http://www.geocities.com/laams_2001/index.html

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Dec. 21....shortest day of the year.....At 3 AM, thick white frost on the deck, temp 33 and falling.  Forcast was 35.....and I expect around 30F around daylight. Clear skys, no wind.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Yesterday Dec. 21, the low was 31F (-0.55C).  This morning, as I fumble around the place with a flashlight at 6 AM, both temp probes read 29.8 F (-2.22 C). It's a good thing I spread a sheet over my Parajubaea, as the sheet is covered with a thick frost. The only other palm I covered was Jubaeopsis. The ice in the pails of water on the deck is much thicker this morning.

Dick

Richard Douglas

My low was 29.7F this morning. I didn't cover anything, but pulled 20+ pots into the garage at midnight when it reached 34F. Some 15g, but mostly 5s.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(osideterry @ Dec. 22 2007,07:15)

My low was 29.7F this morning. I didn't cover anything, but pulled 20+ pots into the garage at midnight when it reached 34F. Some 15g, but mostly 5s.

I'm suprised we finally saw some temp diffs between us, Terry. I hit 34F last night

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

How about this guys....nestled in the groundcloth outside the greenhouse at my Dad's on Friday morning: ICE!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :angry:

ice1sm.jpg

ice2sm.jpg

Ahh yes Burt, but what was the temp inside your new greenhouse?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill - the big differentiator is you had some air movement. I knew I was in trouble last night when I saw zero movement, not even the slightest breeze.

A visual inspection showed no damage, with the exception of a slight tanning of my bananas.

With an 8 year average min. temp of 29.9F, I finally concede... I'm in Zone 9b. I have a number of 10a palms I'm never sticking in the ground.

I would think oceanside is 10A, even inland.

Got to 28.7 last night. The night before I got to 29.8F. Yuck. Should warm up.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Ouch.  I'm surprised there were such low temps recorded in the SD area so close to the ocean.  It must be a canyon effect (?).  We got to 37 F around midnight and then sat there for a while, dropping to 34.7 F in the a.m. for a bit.  When I covered some plants a bit after midnight, I felt the cold air flowing down the hill, probably a good 3-5 mph wind.  The spots where the air was obstructed felt cold.  The steepest slopes, like where the bananas are, felt warm(er).  I guess this "cold air sinks" thing is real..  :)

Let's all hope for no more hardiness tests.  Need to get some size on some plants first.  (I'm new to growing anything but the common stuff.)

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

(osideterry @ Dec. 22 2007,12:51)

With an 8 year average min. temp of 29.9F, I finally concede... I'm in Zone 9b. I have a number of 10a palms I'm never sticking in the ground.

You did not put that pembana in the ground? Want to sell any? :P

San Marcos CA

Shon, I have a few palms that will be in pots until they get too big to bring in. Then I'll sell them.

These are not going in the ground:

Dypsis pembana, Hyophorbe indica, Ptychosperma sp.

These ones I'm on the fence about:

Beccariophoenix madagagascariensis, Roystonea borinquena, Syagrus sancona, Dypsis leptocheilos

Headed for the grounded in 2008:

Phoenix rupicola; Roystonea regia, Dypsis baronii onilahensis lutescens, Archontophoenix alexandrae myolensis and purpurea, Rhopalostylis sapida, Sabal mauritiiformis, Burretiokentia hapala, Chambeyronia macrocarpa, Parajubaea sunka

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but here's the deal on Oceanside. The San Luis Rey River cuts a path from the top of Palomar Mountain (6000ft) to Oceanside Harbor. In Oceanside it goes from being a canyon to being to a wide plain, with mountains North, and hills to the east and south. This creates an area that is almost windless for some reason. The arrow shows the local airport, where my forecasts are based from. 20F was recorded there in 1990, 2 miles from the ocean.

BS Man and Deezpalms also live in Oceanside, just not in the San Luis Rey Channel. I'm about as close to it as the airport, just farther inland.

post-662-1198361579_thumb.jpg

I mistakenly mentioned the "Oceanside trifecta" on a another thread. I was short Dave (sorry Dave)  Are we quadraplegics?  :D

Heres our rough locales;

post-27-1198362634_thumb.jpg

terry don't worry about the beccariophoenix--i have a small one in the ground & in jan.it probably saw some of the coldest temps in my yard(mid 20s 3 or 4 nites in a row) & was unscathed!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Great map Terry  :P [can you provide a link?

This morning's temperatures showed a contrast of micro-climates extraordinaire [ NWS Raws provide additional stations.  Here are examples primarily in San Diego county that illustrate elevation can't stop frost without wind  :P

NWS-LA 12-22-07

LAS FLORES [el. 100'] 43F/6.1c

LADERA RANCH [el. 423'] 45F/7.2c

FALLBROOK [el. 685'] 41F/5c

CARLSBAD [el. 328'] 39F/3.8c

SAN MARCOS [el. 659'] 44F/6.6c

ENCINITAS [el. 20'] 30F/-1.1c

OCEANSIDE AIRPORT [el. 30'] 34F/1.1c

TEMECULA [el. 1190'] 34F

VALLEY CENTER [el. 1785'] 44F

VALLEY CENTER [el. 1370'] 34F

BALBOA ISLAND [el 6'] 46F/7.7c

DANA POINT [el. 285'] 39F

RANCHO SAN DIEGO [el. 658'] 41F

SAN MIGUEL/SPRING VALLEY [el. 425'] 44F

MIRA MESA [el. 410'] 36F/2.2c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Up here, last night's low was 34F. All bananas are still green. Plumerias on back patio are still leafed out too. Tonight's forcast  for us is clear and 39F.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Thanks Bill for pointing out my house. Now someone might just show up unannounced because they recognize my Bismarckia (inside joke). Gonzer looks closer to cold central than me.

Happ - the map is the new "Terrain" option at google maps. It gives an idea of the topography without all the topo lines. That Encinitas 30F is a shocker.

Paul - The Beccariophoenix gets to be planted then. My SoCal guide rates it at 30F... I'll go with forum members experience.

Terry you're safe, very few people can read maps!!!!  Or pick out areas from photos.

Inside joke revealed: A month or so ago Bill (BS, Man...) just showed up at my house. He recognized my yard from photos I'd posted. My wife answered the door, and he explained he knew me from this board. We'd met before at Matts party, and I was glad to show him my small-but-growing collection.

Now that I've seen Bill's marked-up map, I'm 99% sure I know where Gonzer lives. Not many people in that neighborhood with a big Caryota gigas in the backyard, and a mature Livistona decorum in the front.

It's Xmas morning.......low this morning was 28F. It's almost 9 O'Clock and still 30F. Ground is crusty. I don't like this.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick - I think last year has us paranoid. Last year's deep freeze was predicted well in advance. I'm not going to worry until I see something like that forecast again. I'll just keep dragging pots into the garage every time it hits 35F at 11pm.

Terry, I think your right. Up until last year, I had paid very little attention to the low temps, and I let the palms take care of themselves, but we did have a spate of mild winters before last year.

It is was rather sobering to see my beautiful P.cocoides have most of the fronds burned after about 8 years of growth and no damage. My Bismarkia was cooked, and the newly planted Parajubaea T V T was 60% damaged. I've also learned we can't trust the forcast as they are most often off half the time.

I think it's best to trust our own instincts, and if it's clear, calm, and getting pretty cold just before dusk, it's time for the sheets. The forcast for tonight (Dec 26) is in the 20's, so I'll be on guard.

Dick

Richard Douglas

For those in the S F Bay Area, my low this morning was 25.5F, the coldest temp. of the season. I left my Parajubaea T V T uncovered and it's totally exposed.  The temp probe was right next to it.  We will see what happens, but it takes several days or weeks until any damage will show. I think the alocasias got a good drubbing. They are rather limp this morning.

Dick

Richard Douglas